Game Discussion: Final Fantasy XV

Return of the Founder King

• DarrcyphfeidDarrcyphfeid225,314
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 07:59Permalink
    At my wit's end here. You'll either have to get an A+ rating on the story portion (seemingly going out of your way to avoid damage at all costs), or you'll have to somehow manage an A (or A+) rating on Kingly Clash. Unsure which it'll end up being for the achievement. Either way the margin for error is very small or outright broken. Compiling data from my Hall of Fame entries here as a means of venting:

Episode Ardyn (Note: just used my initial clear file to bump up lower ratings)
    Total Score: B: 861,320 / A: 1,077,610 ~ 1,463,800 / A+: 1,622,200 [1.5m should be A+ cutoff]
    Max Combo: C: 159 / A+: 535
    Enemies Defeated: A+: 156
    Daemonifactions: A+: 127
    Sectors Controlled: A+: 7/7
    Undying States: A+: 0 / A: 1 / B: 2
    Damage Incurred: D: 55,112
    Successful Strategies: A: 3 [No idea what these even are]
    Battle Time: A+: 00:38:54 ~ 00:44:24 [Cutoff for A+ is probably 45 minutes]

Best score was 1,642,230 with one A rating (Successful Strategies) and one D rating (Damage Incurred), the other 7 categories were A+. Overall rank was still an A. No achievement.

Kingly Clash
    Battle Time: A: 00:05:28 ~ 00:07:46
    Max Combo: B: 109 ~ 156 / A: 200 ~ 269 / A+: 340 [Cutoff for A+ is probably 300]
    Damage Incurred: B 11,256 ~ 19,886 / C: 22,090 ~ 28,014 / D: 31,044+
    Undying States: A+: 0 / A: 1 / B: 2 / C: 3
    Total Score: C: 999,734 / B: 1,005,750 ~ 1,305,796

A, A+, B, A resulted in a score of 1,305,796 and a B rating/Bane of Fortune title. Along with no shortage of rage.
  • ArkhamArkham1,394,027
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 08:14Permalink
    Episode Ardyn on normal
    Total score 1,707,930 - A+
    Max combo 151 - C
    Enemies defeated 291 - A+
    Daemonifications 222 - A+
    Sectors controlled 7/7 - A+
    Undying states 6 - D
    Damage incurred 83,945 - D
    Successful strategies 4 - A+
    Battle time 00:50:47 - A
    Rank B
  • WhiterValkyrieWhiterValkyrie1,021,608
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 08:53, Edited on 26 March 19 at 08:53 by WhiterValkyriePermalink
    Maybe harder difficulty is the trigger to level up the rank, i don't know if there is hard difficulty but maybe...
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 11:08, Edited on 26 March 19 at 11:12 by DarrcyphfeidPermalink
    Alright, I got it. Rejoice fellow masochists, because we don't have to touch Kingly Clash to bring this thing down.

Unfortunately, you do have to put in some work on the story to attain the A+ rating. I recommend saving after every little thing you clear just to be safe. My ratings, score and such were as follows:

Battle Score: 935,940
    Rampage Score: 526,870
    Total Score (A): 1,426,810 (You have some wiggle room because again 1,500,000 points nets you A+)
    Max Combo (A+): 424
    Enemies Defeated (A+): 208
    Daemonifications (A+): 172
    Sectors Controlled (A+): 7/7
    Undying States (A+): 0
    Damage Incurred (A): 19,391 (The cutoff is 20,000, I barely squeezed it in)
    Successful Strategies (A+): 4 (See below)
    Battle Time (A+): 00:37:26

The "strategies" are the AP Bonuses from the main game. The little box that appears top center of the screen and tells you to do something in a set amount of time. There are only four in this DLC, they're all very early on, and they're kind of hard to miss - though I did fail one my first run by getting hit at a bad time and having my action cancelled. The two I remember are the tutorial for Daemonifying enemies and the tutorial for Royal Retribution; I don't really remember what the other two were off-hand, which probably means they're too mundane/hard to fail considering it hasn't even been two hours since I saw them.

And yes, it can be done on Easy. Good luck and have fun y'all.
  • MemoriesOfFinalMemoriesOfFinal1,200,933
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 12:10Permalink
    Darrcyphfeid said:
    The "strategies" are the AP bonuses from the main game. The two I remember are the tutorial for Daemonifying enemies and the tutorial for Royal Retribution; I don't really remember what the other two were off-hand, which probably means they're too mundane/hard to fail considering it hasn't even been two hours since I saw them.

And yes, it can be done on Easy. Good luck and have fun y'all.
    Daemonify the enemy (the island)
    Daemonify five royal guards (the lab)
    Inflict Royal Retribution (the lab)
    Issue Ifrit a command (Insomnia)
  • MemoriesOfFinalMemoriesOfFinal1,200,933
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 14:19Permalink
    Basically to get this Achievement, you can't get a B+ or worse in any category.

Here's what I scored:

Battle Score: 724,650
    Rampage Score: 644,680
    Total Score: 1,369,330 A
    Max Combo: 840 A+
    Enemies Defeated 124 A+
    Daemonifications: 114 A+
    Sectors Controlled 7/7 A+
    Undying States: 0 A+
    Damage Incurred 19,802 A
    Successful Strategies A+
    Battle Time: 00:41:25 A+

Damage Incurred is probably the most annoying. Save when you get a good sector fight (no thousand damage taken). The last bosses will probably take up most of your damage taken.

Max Combo can be done on the first sector boss fight with aerial blade damage for the least amount of struggle. (in my opinion)

Battle Time =/= play time. Keep that in mind and get/stay out of battles or end them as quick as you can.

Wasn't too hard, just a long annoying process. Probably wouldn't recommend doing this on Normal.
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 14:35Permalink
    I figured this might be the case, but confirmation: You get exactly two "points" of leeway, so you can either get two As or a single B but absolutely everything else must be an A+ to qualify for Absolutely Astounding.

PS4 run just now:

Battle Score: 1,074,450
    Rampage Score: 480,300
    Total Score (A+): 1,554,750
    Max Combo (A+): 496 [Cutoff is 350]
    Enemies Defeated (A+): 220
    Daemonification (A+): 188
    Sectors Controlled (A+): 7/7
    Undying States (A+): 0
    Damage Incurred (B): 25,754 (Cutoff is 20,000 for A and 30,000 for B)
    Successful Strategies (A+): 4
    Battle Time (A+): 00:41:08

I assume it'll be simplest for most people to do a playthrough on Easy and aim to come in under 30,000 damage with everything else maxed out. I did my PS4 playthrough on Normal because I'm extremely stubborn, but sitting through loading times repeatedly because of accidental damage against random enemies isn't fun.
  • Guilty115Guilty115781,572
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 15:36, Edited on 26 March 19 at 15:46 by Guilty115Permalink
    Thanks to Darrcyphfeid and MemoriesOfFinal, I just got mine on Easy.

My stats at the end are as follows:

Battle Score: 1,039,670
    Rampage Score: 639,100
    Total Score: 1,678,770 (A+)
    Max Combo: 458 (A+)
    Enemies Defeated: 199 (A+)
    Daemonifications: 162 (A+)
    Sectors Controlled: 7/7 (A+)
    Undying States: 0 (A+)
    Damage Incurred: 14,466 (A+)
    Successful Strategies: 4 (A+)
    Battle Time: 37:52 (A+)
    Title: Absolutely Astounding

Just a few tips from my own experience:

-For fights with a lot of enemies, I'd kite around till I was able to summon Ifrit for Meteor Strike but while kiting, I only warp striked/daemonified enemies I knew there was a small risk in getting hit.

-I'd recommend going for all the sectors first and clearing the enemies in front of the cathedral (you can clear these enemies and still not enter until you're ready to take on the bosses).

-After clearing the sectors, you'll have to destroy a large majority of the breakable items on the map such as the flagpoles, billboards, big and small balloons, signs, loudspeakers, jumbotrons (only 4 of them on the main street hanging on the side of buildings; these are worth 10,000 points a piece), etc.

-Try to avoid fights in hostile zones. Any time spent fighting these guys adds to your battle time. You need at least 5-8 minutes for the last bosses. These are marked with a red icon on the map. These fights will take up a lot of your time. Instead, what you want are the Royal Guard ambushes preferably the ones that come in 3 which give 10,500 points for only 6 seconds worth of battle time with zero risk in taking damage. These guys will add to your total points, daemonifications and enemies defeated stats. The button prompts are always the same. You'll run into these guys a lot if you stay to the streets instead of the rooftops (there's really no reason to stay on the rooftops anyways) while destroying the destructibles around the map.

-The only time I took damage was from clearing the sectors and the bosses. Ifrit Meteor Strike is your friend for those as well. Speaking of which, the last two sectors closest to the cathedral will have multiple guardians. One will have 4 x Rogues and the other 3 x Fierce guardians. Destroy all the mana things around the amplifier (forgot what they're called, already uninstalled the game lol) before engaging any of the guardians. Gather all of them up then use Meteor Strike to hit all at once. Save yourself on battle time and damage incurred. Just use LT (Phantasmal Leap) to jump from balcony to balcony to kite them until Ifrit is charged to level 3 and unleash.

-In Normal Mode, only time I went into the Undying State was during the Somnus fight when he uses the Blue Sword Strike (he glows blue, holds the sword to his chest and points it in the sky and slashes down at you). On easy, he took me down to a 1/4 of my health but Royal Retribution will just heal you right back up. I tried using Ifrit at the same time to see if the summoning animation would negate the damage but it didn't seem to. Shadowstep didn't seem to work either so definitely do this on Easy. This was really the only difference between Easy and Normal that I saw.

-For the Regis fight, it's simple. Just be extremely aggressive. If he's not vulnerable, warp strike to him should knock him into the vulnerable state. Same with phase 2 (his Royal Arms will be spinning around him). Phase 3 he puts a Protect bubble on himself. You'll want to have saved your Ifrit Meteor Strike for this phase. It makes it much simpler.

-For the Somnus fight, I got my max combo from him. Start the fight off using Royal Retribution, warp strike to him and hold B in the air. If he attacks, just move the left stick to air dance around him. This whole time, your bar will charge up to x12 so you can perform Royal Retribution in the air, then continue. Important thing is not to get hit or not to use Royal Retribution prematurely. Having it at x12 adds 100+ hits to the combo. Using it sooner only adds 20-40 hits.

-Finally, if you're not sure what your stats are, save at the bench right outside the cathedral and just beat the bosses (if anything, you'll get practice). Beat the DLC and you'll be able to see your stats. If any of your stats such as daemonifications, battle timer, damage incurred, etc aren't at the requirements, go back and improve it then beat the game again.
    Posted on 26 March 19 at 16:21Permalink
    Guilty115 said:
    -In Normal Mode, only time I went into the Undying State was during the Somnus fight when he uses the Blue Sword Strike (he glows blue, holds the sword to his chest and points it in the sky and slashes down at you). On easy, he took me down to a 1/4 of my health but Royal Retribution will just heal you right back up. I tried using Ifrit at the same time to see if the summoning animation would negate the damage but it didn't seem to. Shadowstep didn't seem to work either so definitely do this on Easy. This was really the only difference between Easy and Normal that I saw.
    If anyone else is having a problem with this: As soon as the little cutscene with Somnus powering up his sword ends, run left and start tapping LT while aiming the camera at the lamp posts and/or rooftop. You'll warp to safety and can then climb to the roof. Do not jump back down until not only the powerslash animation finishes, but Somnus warp strikes through the street and stops moving. He will damage you as he's coming through.

I personally like to hop off the roof back towards the alley and unleash the powered up Warp Strike attack on my way down since the gauge is constantly charging during this fight.
  • Posted on 26 March 19 at 16:41, Edited on 26 March 19 at 19:32 by Senseless OgrePermalink
    Please refresh me on how saving works in this game. If I take too much damage, I'd like to dashboard out and load up a save. Would that be viable for this to ensure this never happens? Or should I just return to the title screen. Not sure if theres some stupid autosave thing that records the score no matter if you save at a camp or not.
    Posted on 27 March 19 at 00:03, Edited on 27 March 19 at 06:13 by DarrcyphfeidPermalink
    There's an auto-save feature that activates every time you start an objective/battle, but you can manually save at designated benches (marked as a tent on the map once the area is under your control) throughout the area. I used the bench at the southern end of the main street as a base of operations since it's where you first get control of Ardyn inside Insomnia and is conveniently located for four of the seven sector battles.

Now that I'm more awake, I went back through all of my runs and incorporated data points from everyone that posted their results. The help is much appreciated! Will update the solution shortly, but posting the information in here as well:

Total Score:
    1,544,750 = A+
    1,487,410 = A

Max Combo:
    424 = A+
    364 = A

Damage Incurred:
    14,466 = A+ (Guilty115)
    19,802 = A (MemoriesOfFinal)
    20,020 = B
    25,754 = B
    35,191 = C

Battle Time:
    00:46:53 = A+ (Silver Mitsuki)
    00:50:47 = A (ArkhmInmate0801)
    01:12:XX = C (SilverArrow20XX)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.