TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Batman: Arkham Asylum Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 01 April 19 at 00:00
Welcome back to another TA Playlist month. Use this thread to speak freely about Batman: Arkham Asylum and assume anything goes in here.
Vr English
Vr English
Posted on 01 April 19 at 08:47
Promise this isn't an April fool.

Just wanted to throw out there that despite all the hype I thought this game was.... OK.

I won't deny it looked good and I really liked the hallucination sequences. I think for the right person, especially a Batman fan this could be a real winner but for me I think it just made me realise I don't buy into the Batman hype. Its not just the combat because I like Hand of Fate's combat and that's pretty much just a copy of this one.

That and there's a missable right at the end of the game (spoil the party) that I never got and I couldn't bring myself to do a whole playthrough again.

I hope most people really enjoy it and maybe this month will remind me of the good bits.
guycarb
guycarb
Posted on 01 April 19 at 09:58
Roller coaster of emotions here; happy because I voted for this one and it really is (still) one of the best superhero games out there IMO but I’m already flashing back to those rage inducing Freeflow Gold combat challenges!

Hoping this playlist is all the push I need to wrap those up and finally 100% this game!
Pmalone6
Pmalone6
Posted on 01 April 19 at 15:39
This game was an absolute blast for me with enough variety to keep it very fun the whole way through. The Riddler trophies were a touch annoying especially in the giant elevator shaft as well as the difficulty on some of the Challenges but it gave me an awesome sense of accomplishment once it was done. Enjoy the playthrough everyone!
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 01 April 19 at 18:35
I really enjoyed the riddler trophies in the game. I thought they were fun to find but I do remember that elevator shaft being a pain. The thing I liked the best about the collectibles were everything they unlocked. I watched the animated Batman show as a kid but no comics so it was really interesting for me to read all the info on enemies I had never seen before.
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 02 April 19 at 11:06
This game is good and fun but not outstanding. Batman Arkham City improved on the game in every way and was one of my favourite games on the 360. If you complete this one, I definitely recommend moving onto and completing Arkham City too.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 02 April 19 at 17:46
That scene where you think your Xbox is acting up never gets old laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 02 April 19 at 18:23, Edited on 02 April 19 at 18:25 by HawkeyeBarry20
I8ITackyticsI8I said:
This game is good and fun but not outstanding. Batman Arkham City improved on the game in every way and was one of my favourite games on the 360. If you complete this one, I definitely recommend moving onto and completing Arkham City too.
I can confirm Arkham City is not better in every way, it has many more combat challenges needed for 100%, besides that AC is awesome. This ranking changes every hour because I just can’t make up my mind but here are my rankings for the Arkham series.

Arkham City
Arkham Knight
Arkham Origins
Arkham Asylum

I read this list and think no way is AA the worst, haha.

One thing I really liked about AA that the other games didn’t do is it had some scares to it. I remember going through the the one building where they kept the prisoners and having my hair stand up when a prisoner jumped out. I think the first time Batman meets up with Scarecrow is a really good section too, being in the morgue and doors we opening and closing, really enjoy this game.
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 02 April 19 at 19:49
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
I8ITackyticsI8I said:
I can confirm Arkham City is not better in every way, it has many more combat challenges needed for 100%, besides that AC is awesome. This ranking changes every hour because I just can’t make up my mind but here are my rankings for the Arkham series.

Arkham City
Arkham Knight
Arkham Origins
Arkham Asylum

I read this list and think no way is AA the worst, haha.

One thing I really liked about AA that the other games didn’t do is it had some scares to it. I remember going through the the one building where they kept the prisoners and having my hair stand up when a prisoner jumped out. I think the first time Batman meets up with Scarecrow is a really good section too, being in the morgue and doors we opening and closing, really enjoy this game.
This is interesting, because I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum when I 100%ed it in 2009, so I was really looking forward to Arkham City when I started playing it a couple of years later, but for some reason, it just didn't grab me like the first one did. I only got about a third of the achievements, and didn't even finish the main storyline. Didn't go back to the series until Arkham Knight in 2017, and I enjoyed that a lot more, though it's been too long since I played Asylum to really make a direct comparison.

So I guess my order is Asylum > Knight > City, and I've never played Origins so I can't make a judgment on that. Maybe this month I'll replay Asylum on Game Pass and see if I still like it as much as I remember, then play some of City and Knight to compare and contrast.

Between that and trying to re-watch all the MCU movies in preparation for Avengers: Endgame, this will be a very superhero-heavy month for me! laugh
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 02 April 19 at 20:09
Pretty sure you can skip Thor: The Dark World laugh
Broon43
Broon43
Posted on 02 April 19 at 20:48
AA is definitely one game that brought my love of Batman from when I was a kid back to me as an adult. What a phenomenal presentation of Batman's universe, and probably created numerous new fans in a new generation.

Replaying this title many times after it's initial release in recent years, I seriously think that Rocksteady improved the fighting engine dramatically with the sequels. I find after having mastered AC and AK, going back to this original title, the combat challenges are extremely difficult to maintain a high combo, due to fewer gadgets, different button layouts, etc., but I still love it. The Revisited version's graphics are stunning, the story is fantastic, and so many references for the history of Gotham is wonderful. Not to mention, having Hamill and Conroy is a no-brainer.

Thanks, True Achievements, for choosing this title and honoring the Dark Knight on his 80th birthday. I'm looking forward to stepping back into the Asylum this month.
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." -N. Peart
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 02 April 19 at 21:35
Shinnizle said:
Thor’s my favorite and it hurt that his second movie was so bad. If I was going to skip on movie it would the first Captain America. I have a lot of catching up to do, last marvel movie I watched was Dr. Strange.
Cylon 118
Cylon 118
Posted on 02 April 19 at 22:25
Really enjoying the game so far and I have to admit the bit i'm enjoying the most is the not the part I thought I would and that is trying to work out the Riddler puzzles they are for the most part quite clever but not so difficult that you cant solve them.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 03 April 19 at 16:31
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Thor’s my favorite and it hurt that his second movie was so bad. If I was going to skip on movie it would the first Captain America. I have a lot of catching up to do, last marvel movie I watched was Dr. Strange.
Dr. Strange was really good. You have a lot of good stuff to look forward to. And if you're a fan of Thor, you'll be glad to hear that Thor: Ragnarok was amazing.
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 03 April 19 at 17:44
Cylon 118 said:
Really enjoying the game so far and I have to admit the bit i'm enjoying the most is the not the part I thought I would and that is trying to work out the Riddler puzzles they are for the most part quite clever but not so difficult that you cant solve them.
I enjoyed the Riddler puzzles as well. I think it helps the way they're broken up by level, so even if you're having trouble finding a trophy or figuring out a riddle, at least you know what area you should be searching in. As far as collectibles go, this game handles them just about as well as any I've played.

Shinnizle said:
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Shinnizle said:
Dr. Strange was really good. You have a lot of good stuff to look forward to. And if you're a fan of Thor, you'll be glad to hear that Thor: Ragnarok was amazing.
Dark World is definitely a low point, but a low point for the MCU is still a fairly decent movie, so I'm okay with it! laugh
Reborn Insanity
Posted on 03 April 19 at 19:29
I've heard tons of praise for this game, watched full playthroughs on YouTube, and even won a Batman: AA art book from a TA competition in 2010, but I can't bring myself to load it up. One of these days I'll have to force myself to drag it out of the backlog and play it.
See You Space Cowboy...
Agent Robyn
Agent Robyn
Posted on 05 April 19 at 18:57
Think I powered my way through this game when it first came out in a weekend. Absolutely amazing game, holds up so well still.
Agent Robyn
Agent Robyn
Posted on 05 April 19 at 18:58
Reborn Insanity said:
I've heard tons of praise for this game, watched full playthroughs on YouTube, and even won a Batman: AA art book from a TA competition in 2010, but I can't bring myself to load it up. One of these days I'll have to force myself to drag it out of the backlog and play it.
If your a fan of Batman you won’t regret it.
Mental Knight 5
Posted on 06 April 19 at 11:21
Anyone else notice LOTS of similarities between this and Metal Gear Solid (1)? Has it been mentioned to death already over the years? Like I said in non-spoiler, I'm not into stealth, but these two games have enough atmosphere and story that I will completely get into it and play as intended. You know how Dead Rising 2: Off the Record says "Okay that's a fine story, but hypothetically what if Frank was there instead?" Imagine Arkham Asylum: Off the Record - What Would Snake Do?
Mental Knight 5
Posted on 06 April 19 at 18:38
btw what the hell was Gotham thinking when they named it Crime Alley?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.