Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Madden NFL Arcade Servers Close This Month

• punkyliarpunkyliar220,653
  • TagstTagst271,476
    Posted on 04 April 19 at 21:01, Edited on 04 April 19 at 21:05 by Tagst
    Damn, atleast they're announcing it before they pull the plug I guess? Wish they did the same with the delisting of it.
  • Posted on 04 April 19 at 21:17
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. actually ben a few years since i played, but i think this is wrong simply because it is ONLINE only. no story mode nothing. played over 3 thousand games on here. this is unfortunate
    budah
  • Erving DErving D375,684
    Posted on 04 April 19 at 21:18
    damn, needa clean this game up, ill make a session if not send me a message here or xbl
  • mcnichojmcnichoj227,756
    Posted on 04 April 19 at 21:35
    Wish I bought it.
  • Posted on 04 April 19 at 22:20
    I thought it went offline years ago, still need a few achievements... will be doing a session!!
  • planting42planting421,869,482
  • TwincatsTwincats527,156
    Posted on 05 April 19 at 00:45
    When will those responsible for these delistings in the industry realize that announcing a delisting before acting upon it could potentially boost last-minute sales?

Seems a bit pointless for online-only titles, but surely people would still purchase the game to grab those fleeting achievements.
    Tempus edax rerum
  • K4rn4geK4rn4ge2,503,415
    Posted on 05 April 19 at 04:18
    Easy and quick 200. Get on it people!
    Follow me on these for gameplay, giveaways and more! http://www.twitch.tv/karnage http://www.youtube.com/k4rn4ge http://www.twitter.com/k4rn4ge
  • NMANOZNMANOZ803,335
    Posted on 05 April 19 at 04:35
    I need to find someone level 11 shock
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 05:46
    morphable freak said:
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. actually ben a few years since i played, but i think this is wrong simply because it is ONLINE only. no story mode nothing. played over 3 thousand games on here. this is unfortunate
    How is it online only if you can unlock most of the achievements offline?
    Im in!
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 05:56
    Hi all - This is very sad news. As a Top 100 player this is devastating news. I have played this game since it's release in 2009. I wonder why EA is shutting it off now? 10 yrs later? Makes zero sense. I will gladly give anyone the achievements they need. I'm level 40 and have a few other accounts that are high level. Let me know. I can be reached at I Danglesyuk I or BeZerK Xs Daddy. Thanks.
  • NMANOZNMANOZ803,335
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 06:40
    NMANOZ said:
    I DANGLESYUK I said:
    Boosting Gaming Session for Madden NFL Arcade

My session. I can help from now until closure. I am level 40/26 so I can help anyone get any achievement.
    That would be awesome. I will add you to my friend list so we can organise a time to do it. smile
    Great. Add 'Bezerk Xs Daddy' - this tag is currently silver. That account is level 26 though so will be fine for the achievements.
  • EssCee UKEssCee UK452,362
    Posted on 05 April 19 at 13:22
    You’d think in todays world of “Cloud computing” they’d have figured out a way to keep a small single VM running to maintain the online service.

In future, maybe the online servers should be designed to employ server less architecture instead (it’s not difficult)
  • DonietscheDonietsche460,840
    Posted on 05 April 19 at 14:32, Edited on 05 April 19 at 14:35 by Donietsche
    EssCee UK said:
    You’d think in todays world of “Cloud computing” they’d have figured out a way to keep a small single VM running to maintain the online service.

In future, maybe the online servers should be designed to employ server less architecture instead (it’s not difficult)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the most part the issue is about EA and a few other publishers who opted for proprietary online services (probably it's the wrong definition, but you get the idea) rather than the dominant "p2p" architecture of the xbox360 games: i.e., dedicated servers plus stat servers (for online leaderboards, ranking and whatnot).

I assume that even if the cost of keeping those services going (for more than a decade in many cases) is really small, it still makes sense to pull the plug when a title has stopped selling for quite some time.

Also, we don't know if there are "hidden costs" (fees paid to Microsoft for instance), on top of the "technical" costs.

Honestly I'm still positively impressed by the fact that even the large majority of xbox360 games (as above, in some cases released 10+ years ago) that requires ranked activities are still 100% working as intended. And even EA recently fixed some of his games in this respect (medal of honor airborne for instance).
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 14:45
    I just don't understand why now though - the servers have been up for 10 yrs. It's a slap in the face to the niche community that still enjoyed the game. We had a league going strong for 8 years on this game. I came to terms with the fact it'd never get BC on Xbox One due to licensing, and it getting delisted was a tough pill to swallow (no new players into the game anymore) - but the server shutdown is a kick to the gut I never hoped to receive. I figured the Arcade titles commanded such a negligible portion of the server space that they'd be safe. And they were. For a long while. I didn't think I'd have to say goodbye to this game until Xbox 360 finally shut its doors on Xbox Live. And that's a long way out. This was one of the only games keeping me on the Xbox 360 alongside my Xbox One. It is truly the end of an era. People would be surprised how popular this and NHL Arcade were. Especially back from 2009-2012.
  • DonietscheDonietsche460,840
    Posted on 05 April 19 at 15:07, Edited on 05 April 19 at 15:11 by Donietsche
    I totally understand your frustration and disappointment, and of course I don't have an answer to your question (just like everybody else, I can only speculate).

Maybe EA is trying to cut some costs, and this title (and the negligible costs associated with it) is simply a victim of a a (way) larger spending review.
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 15:18, Edited on 05 April 19 at 15:19 by I DANGLESYUK I
    Donietsche said:
    I totally understand your frustration and disappointment, and of course I don't have an answer to your question (just like everybody else, I can only speculate).

Maybe EA is trying to cut some costs, and this title (and the negligible costs associated with it) is simply a victim of a a (way) larger spending review.
    No worries I'm just venting my friend. I really wish EA would put out a statement on the why behind the things they do. That small courtesy would go a long way. I know I'm a small fish in a huge pond but man. I guess after so long you just expect they'll be up for the long haul :(. It's especially weird that NFL Blitz/NHL Arcade aren't listed anywhere for shutdown but Madden is. Madden was actually the only one of the three you could still find people playing.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.