Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Madden NFL Arcade Servers Close This Month

• Posted on 05 April 19 at 16:43, Edited on 05 April 19 at 16:45 by Chakaal Starr
    EssCee UK said:
    You’d think in todays world of “Cloud computing” they’d have figured out a way to keep a small single VM running to maintain the online service.

In future, maybe the online servers should be designed to employ server less architecture instead (it’s not difficult)
    Where I work, I had the opportunity to tour a Q9 facility where a number of our cloud servers are kept. It was pretty cool, you got id'ed at a gate, then to get into the building, then you had to get fingerprinted and weighed to get past reception where there they had bulletproof glass, giant steel doors, then you had to get them to open the cage where your cloud servers are stored. To get into our cage, someone in another city has to authorize the cage to be opened as well. You also go weighed and used your fingerprint to get out back to reception too. There are cameras everywhere, multiple fire suppression systems, multiple power sources and multiple backup generators. The place was dust free, temperature controlled, they even take up the tiles in the floor to clean dust under there. They mean business and the building was built from the ground up with data center in mind, and the location was picked because certain types of natural disasters are not likely in that area, such as flood or earthquakes.

As big as our cage was, and some of the other cages in the area, the space isn't unlimited and the more room you take up, the more it costs. Each of these games may not take up a lot of space in the grand scheme of things, but it adds up, and has to be monitored, maintained, backed up, and supported still. There is definitely a way keep it going, as to whether it is worth the cost is another question.

Twincats said:
    When will those responsible for these delistings in the industry realize that announcing a delisting before acting upon it could potentially boost last-minute sales?

Seems a bit pointless for online-only titles, but surely people would still purchase the game to grab those fleeting achievements.
    The group of buyers do not represent the typical gamer, the boost would be insignificant, and not even worth the extra accounting for all but the smallest developer. For example, TA lists it, and a subset of a subset of TA may even be interested enough to comment, and another subset might act on buying. Most of TAs userbase won't even notice with them mentioning it, how many people that just play games and don't read sites like TA would notice? To counter that, they would have to buy advertising and even prominence on the xbox dashboard isn't free.
  • DonietscheDonietsche460,564
    Posted on 05 April 19 at 18:17, Edited on 05 April 19 at 23:14 by Donietsche
    I DANGLESYUK I said:
    No worries I'm just venting my friend. I really wish EA would put out a statement on the why behind the things they do. That small courtesy would go a long way. I know I'm a small fish in a huge pond but man. I guess after so long you just expect they'll be up for the long haul :(. It's especially weird that NFL Blitz/NHL Arcade aren't listed anywhere for shutdown but Madden is. Madden was actually the only one of the three you could still find people playing.
    It's totally understandable, as a matter of fact you're losing the community more than the game itself. I can only wish that you and your gaming pals can find another title you can collectively migrate to!

Also, as I was suggesting this is one of those situation where it's worth seeing the glass half full: the game lasted for a decade or so, which probably is way more than you expected when you bought the game. It sucks that it's going offline, sure, but in the meanwhile it has kept you and many others hooked for years.

Keep in mind that especially in the past few years we've seen a lot of recent games with (totally or partially) discontinued online services and features. Sometimes only 1-2 years after the initial release... so I'd say that this arcade title had a good run!
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 20:01
    morphable freak said:
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. actually ben a few years since i played, but i think this is wrong simply because it is ONLINE only. no story mode nothing. played over 3 thousand games on here. this is unfortunate
    What was your tag? We probably had some battles :P
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 20:19
    Donietsche said:
    I DANGLESYUK I said:
    No worries I'm just venting my friend. I really wish EA would put out a statement on the why behind the things they do. That small courtesy would go a long way. I know I'm a small fish in a huge pond but man. I guess after so long you just expect they'll be up for the long haul :(. It's especially weird that NFL Blitz/NHL Arcade aren't listed anywhere for shutdown but Madden is. Madden was actually the only one of the three you could still find people playing.
    It's totally understandable, as a matter of fact you're losing the community more than the game itself. I can only wish that you and your gaming pals can find another title you can collectively migrate to!

Also, as I was suggesting this is one of those situation where the it's worth seeing the glass half full: the game lasted for a decade or so, which probably is way more than you expected when you bought the game. It sucks that it's going offline, sure, but in the meanwhile it's kept and others hooked for years.

Keep in mind that especially in the past few years we've seen a lot of recent games with (totally or partially) discontinued online services and features. Sometimes only 1-2 years after the initial release... so I'd say that this arcade title had a good run!
    Community will be sorely missed. They got me through a lot of tough times over the almost 10 yrs we played it together. One of the greatest things about video games is just that. When used as a healthy outlet it can be very positive. Some of my best friends in real life I've met throughout my Xbox playing days.

You're right, I am very happy it was able to last as long as it has. I'm just a bit shocked is all. After so long you figure the servers are up until the death of the 360. Sadly that is not the case. It especially sucks because I feel like 360 live will be up for a VERY long time especially with BC games being a big thing now.

We were easily ready and willing to go to the end of the 360 ship..whenever that may be.

The thing that sucks the most is game developers just don't take risks anymore. There will never be another Madden Arcade or NFL Street type game. Devs just want games that are guaranteed cash cows. Part of the reason I love the Xbox 360 so much isn't just its expansive AAA library, but its robust XBLA library as well. This and NHL Arcade was ultra competitive in its peak. The ability to play a quick 5-10 minute game was also another big advantage it had over the "real" NHL/Madden games.

Like I said I always came to grips with the fact it'd never get BC and once it was de-listed it would never come back. But I'd be lying if I said I thought the servers would be purposely taken offline. I thought at worst it would die whenever Xbox 360 Live was no longer supported.
  • Posted on 05 April 19 at 22:37
    I DANGLESYUK I said:
    [

Community will be sorely missed. They got me through a lot of tough times over the almost 10 yrs we played it together. One of the greatest things about video games is just that. When used as a healthy outlet it can be very positive. Some of my best friends in real life I've met throughout my Xbox playing days.

You're right, I am very happy it was able to last as long as it has. I'm just a bit shocked is all. After so long you figure the servers are up until the death of the 360. Sadly that is not the case. It especially sucks because I feel like 360 live will be up for a VERY long time especially with BC games being a big thing now.

We were easily ready and willing to go to the end of the 360 ship..whenever that may be.

The thing that sucks the most is game developers just don't take risks anymore. There will never be another Madden Arcade or NFL Street type game. Devs just want games that are guaranteed cash cows. Part of the reason I love the Xbox 360 so much isn't just its expansive AAA library, but its robust XBLA library as well. This and NHL Arcade was ultra competitive in its peak. The ability to play a quick 5-10 minute game was also another big advantage it had over the {#}real{#} NHL/Madden games.

Like I said I always came to grips with the fact it'd never get BC and once it was de-listed it would never come back. But I'd be lying if I said I thought the servers would be purposely taken offline. I thought at worst it would die whenever Xbox 360 Live was no longer supported.
    Guess you will have to switch to Rocket League for now. Though I disagree that there will never be another type game like those. NHL 18 and NHL 19 have a mode that is exactly like NHL Arcade called NHL Threes. For that matter, XB1 has a huge library on non AAA games, they just don't call them XBLA anymore.

In terms of the end of the 360 ship, the 360 was discontinued officially in April of 2016. We are almost to the end of the xbox one generation, it isn't a risky guess to say they will be talking about the next generation in about 2 months at E3. How many console generations do you expect them to keep these games alive?
  • Posted on 06 April 19 at 00:24, Edited on 06 April 19 at 05:39 by I DANGLESYUK I
    Chakaal Starr said:
    I DANGLESYUK I said:
    [

The thing that sucks the most is game developers just don't take risks anymore. There will never be another Madden Arcade or NFL Street type game. Devs just want games that are guaranteed cash cows. Part of the reason I love the Xbox 360 so much isn't just its expansive AAA library, but its robust XBLA library as well. This and NHL Arcade was ultra competitive in its peak. The ability to play a quick 5-10 minute game was also another big advantage it had over the {#}real{#} NHL/Madden games.

Guess you will have to switch to Rocket League for now. Though I disagree that there will never be another type game like those. NHL 18 and NHL 19 have a mode that is exactly like NHL Arcade called NHL Threes. For that matter, XB1 has a huge library on non AAA games, they just don't call them XBLA anymore.

In terms of the end of the 360 ship, the 360 was discontinued officially in April of 2016. We are almost to the end of the xbox one generation, it isn't a risky guess to say they will be talking about the next generation in about 2 months at E3. How many console generations do you expect them to keep these games alive?
    I appreciate your sentiment, but in my opinion Threes is only somewhat like NHL Arcade. I've played NHL 18/19 at a buddies house on more than a few occasions. It is a bit too dissimilar both in gameplay and price (price being the real kicker). One of the best parts of 3on3 was it was cheap and a perfect couch co-op game. A big problem is very few, if any, people are going to pay $60 a year just to play Threes (and a lot of 3on3 fans did not enjoy or play the retail NHL games so they're not going to fork full price for one mode).Even so, unfortunately there is not a new generation game that is very similar to NBA Jam, Madden Arcade, or NFL Blitz. What was the last off the wall type game EA Sports made that wasn't Madden/NHL/NBA Live? It was probably NFL Blitz, which was 7 years ago and not new gen. I cannot think of a single new generation game they made that wasn't AAA. 3 on 3 and Madden Arcade being almost a decade old with no similar sequel(s). That is precisely why Madden shutting down is unfortunate news for a lot of people. There is no reason to believe there will be another game like Madden Arcade released. It's been 10 years already. And while one may think the arcade titles weren't very popular, I'd beg to differ as 3on3 has about 1.5 million accounts registered on the leaderboards and Madden Arcade has about a million. So it was played and very active when it first released.

Had it gotten the go ahead for backwards compatibility it would have been revitalized. Not sure why the licenses stopped NHL/Madden from getting the nod, but NBA Jam at least made it through BC. The servers are still up for 3on3/Blitz so I guess I don't understand why Madden's have to go right now. There are games far older that still technically have online capability. 3 on 3 was delisted from the marketplace all the way back in 2016 but the servers are still up.

They weren't the ones keeping the games alive either, the community was. If there was some way for player hosted servers people would still play. So I wouldn't say I 'expected' anything. Like many I have a love/hate relationship with EA Sports. But after a decade of having a game, it is a somewhat reasonable assumption that they will not retire the servers the traditional way. I cannot think of many XBLA titles that had their servers shut off permanently. Yeah, Xbox 360 is almost at the end of the road. But there are still games people play on it. NCAA Football 14 being the next one close to the permanent axe that will upset many people.

It'd be a lot more palatable if these games had sequels, they were very popular in the 360 era. But they have not gotten one. And I don't see them ever getting one. I'd rather have sequels and support the new generation of console(s) than old servers be kept/maintained, but I've sort of just accepted EA Sports isn't really in the business of making "risky" or "non mainstream" games anymore. Some smaller companies might, but EA has not for a long time. And while I do personally enjoy some of their AAA iterations, it's really just a different community between Arcade/Retail. You'd have to be a big part of the "Arcade Scene" to understand it I guess. It's the community I'll miss more than the game, as we had leagues running since the games release in 2009.

Regardless I am grateful for the decades worth of memories even if I disagree with their decision.I understand it but I don't like it. Alas, all good things must end. I guess it was never going to be easy to say goodbye. Be it in a month or 5 yrs.

Sorry for the rant, I appreciate your input/sentiment and you're ultimately correct. Everything ends eventually. Just a shame there aren't any directly comparable games out there at the moment for the community I've grown close with to matriculate to.
  • Posted on 06 April 19 at 05:44
    Anyways - to anyone still needing achievements, I'm available all month to help. I'm also down to play for fun with anyone that wants to give the game one last hurrah.

Don't worry about times or scheduling or anything. If you want the achievements, you will get help from me. Promise. Already 5 gamers have 200'd the game with my help in the past day.
  • Posted on 06 April 19 at 21:12, Edited on 06 April 19 at 21:16 by Chakaal Starr
    I DANGLESYUK I said:
    I appreciate your sentiment, but in my opinion Threes is only somewhat like NHL Arcade. I've played NHL 18/19 at a buddies house on more than a few occasions. It is a bit too dissimilar both in gameplay and price (price being the real kicker). One of the best parts of 3on3 was it was cheap and a perfect couch co-op game. A big problem is very few, if any, people are going to pay $60 a year just to play Threes (and a lot of 3on3 fans did not enjoy or play the retail NHL games so they're not going to fork full price for one mode)..
    I know it isn't exact but I wouldn't expect them to be, just like NHL 19 isn't like NHL 09, but it is close enough to be considered in the same vein. I know what you mean, I had a similar viewpoint of 3 on 3 when it came out way back in the day because I wanted one more like the NHL game that was in arcades that was really similar to NBA Jam but hockey.

Though I do think that it is far more common for people to buy one of these titles for one mode than you are assuming despite the 60 bucks(90 bucks where I am). I know tons of people who only play HUT, and tons who only play EASHL, so threes, gm mode, be a player, etc, will have their own groups too who don't dive a lot into other modes.

I don't think you need to buy each year for a mode like threes, so you could probably get away with buying ea access and playing 6 months behind(they tend to vault around playoffs), and then you could play their other games as well if you want to get in some madden or fifa as well as nhl to get value out of the EA access cost. I don't know if there is a threes equivalent in those games but there is lots of value there.

Out of curosity, since you seem to be into competative arcadey sports, what do you think of Rocket League and Old Time Hockey? I have not tried Old Time Hockey but it sort of reminds me of NHL 94 when you look at screenshots.
  • Posted on 06 April 19 at 21:35
    Chakaal Starr said:
    I DANGLESYUK I said:
    I appreciate your sentiment, but in my opinion Threes is only somewhat like NHL Arcade. I've played NHL 18/19 at a buddies house on more than a few occasions. It is a bit too dissimilar both in gameplay and price (price being the real kicker). One of the best parts of 3on3 was it was cheap and a perfect couch co-op game. A big problem is very few, if any, people are going to pay $60 a year just to play Threes (and a lot of 3on3 fans did not enjoy or play the retail NHL games so they're not going to fork full price for one mode)..
    I know it isn't exact but I wouldn't expect them to be, just like NHL 19 isn't like NHL 09, but it is close enough to be considered in the same vein. I know what you mean, I had a similar viewpoint of 3 on 3 when it came out way back in the day because I wanted one more like the NHL game that was in arcades that was really similar to NBA Jam but hockey.

Though I do think that it is far more common for people to buy one of these titles for one mode than you are assuming despite the 60 bucks(90 bucks where I am). I know tons of people who only play HUT, and tons who only play EASHL, so threes, gm mode, be a player, etc, will have their own groups too who don't dive a lot into other modes.

I don't think you need to buy each year for a mode like threes, so you could probably get away with buying ea access and playing 6 months behind(they tend to vault around playoffs), and then you could play their other games as well if you want to get in some madden or fifa as well as nhl to get value out of the EA access cost. I don't know if there is a threes equivalent in those games but there is lots of value there.

Out of curosity, since you seem to be into competative arcadey sports, what do you think of Rocket League and Old Time Hockey? I have not tried Old Time Hockey but it sort of reminds me of NHL 94 when you look at screenshots.
    Appreciate all the advice, I'll try to get everyone to give Threes a proper shot. I did enjoy it the times I played it on NHL 18/19. I think EA has actually done a good job with the mainstream NHL/Madden games. I was impressed with both Madden 18/19 and NHL 18/19. I just wish there was also those other games they used to have that were so successful. I miss NFL Street, SSX, NBA Street etc.

I enjoy Rocket League but unfortunately the community I am likely losing with these server shutdowns were not as big on it. Actually never tried Old Time Hockey - did it ever end up getting multiplayer? I don't think it had online support when it was first being advertised.
  • SEGA128DCSEGA128DC367,502
    Posted on 23 April 19 at 03:55
    I'm looking for a boosting partner...
  • SEGA128DCSEGA128DC367,502
    Posted on 23 April 19 at 03:57
    I'm a little confused are all achievements affected by the server shutdown or just the online verses achievements?..
  • Posted on 24 April 19 at 18:17
    Im getting a server error everytime I try to play online. Im hoping they didnt pull the plug early.
  • Rusty Nail zhRusty Nail zh1,173,193
    Posted on 24 April 19 at 21:26
    Whisperin Clown said:
    Im getting a server error everytime I try to play online. Im hoping they didnt pull the plug early.
    Same, “servers are not available at this time” message. Would be stupid, if they shut down the servers already, but then again, it’s EA.
  • EthigyEthigy929,383
    Posted on 25 April 19 at 00:15
    What are the odds, was just about to knock this out. Damn EA.
  • planting42planting421,863,497
    Posted on 25 April 19 at 01:36, Edited on 25 April 19 at 01:36 by planting42
    SEGA128DC said:
    I'm a little confused are all achievements affected by the server shutdown or just the online verses achievements?..
    About half require online.

...and I can't connect either.
  • Mr GimpsonMr Gimpson365,672
    Posted on 25 April 19 at 16:35
    Noooooo
  • Mr GimpsonMr Gimpson365,672
  • SkelixSkelix1,400,357
    Posted on 27 April 19 at 15:53
    Ugh and just now tried and it's down again what a bunch of flaming asshole, I hate ea so much!
  • KenjuanKenjuan92,826
    Posted on 27 April 19 at 16:23, Edited on 27 April 19 at 17:46 by Kenjuan
    Well, damn, I had a good samaritan offer to help me knock these out this afternoon. facepalm

edit: I just now loaded the game and servers seems to be working for me.
  • SkelixSkelix1,400,357
    Posted on 27 April 19 at 18:26
    Yup after I whined about it, they started working again. Very temperamental so hurry up everyone and finish this off!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.