Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Minecraft Community Pays Tribute to Notre Dame

AuthorMessage
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 16 April 19 at 09:57
The cathedral lives on in the virtual world

Please click here to read the story: Minecraft Community Pays Tribute to Notre Dame
NismoR034
NismoR034
Posted on 16 April 19 at 10:40
We don't see/hear about instances like this very often but this is one area that I really love gaming for -- the preservation of things from the real world. Ironic given game preservation is a topic that has a long way to go.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that Minecraft players have not only replicated the Notre Dame but are paying tribute to it in game. It's perfect for it. And an example of gaming being positive, rather than all of the negative things you hear about (like Fortnite being blamed for New Zealand not too long ago). It's great to see.

Other examples that come to mind for me personally are how player ghosts in racing games (and similar) can be a memory of someone once they've passed away, just as I suppose save files and things like that can also be. I remember a few years ago reading an article on Kotaku about a son who loaded up a rally game and was able to play against the ghost of his deceased father, a touching and heartbreaking story but an awesome one at the same time.

Less impactful/significant than the above two, but another that comes to mind for me as a racing game player is how the original Race Driver game on PS2 (what Grid was before it became Grid, and what Toca was originally before it became Race Driver) will always preserve the fact that, once upon a time, there was a street circuit for the V8 Supercars here in Canberra, a fact often forgotten about now because the race was only held for 3 years. And I always found it fascinating (in a good way) that, of all the abandoned race circuits around the world, Canberra somehow is preserved where many more well known examples are not. It only takes one game, in other words, for something to be preserved in history, and that's a wonderful thing that's perhaps only going to increase as time moves on and more and more things are lost to time.
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 16 April 19 at 11:21
Being from France, thanks to everyone for your support.
KinectKid333
KinectKid333
Posted on 16 April 19 at 11:54, Edited on 16 April 19 at 13:34 by KinectKid333
NismoR034 said:
I'm not surprised in the slightest that Minecraft players have not only replicated the Notre Dame but are paying tribute to it in game. It's perfect for it. And an example of gaming being positive, rather than all of the negative things you hear about (like Fortnite being blamed for New Zealand not too long ago). It's great to see.
The sad thing about Fortnite being blamed for the New Zealand shooting was that it's not even true. Many media sites took the killer's words out of context, presumably because it made for good clickbait. In his actual manifesto, he shared very radical views but often had a demeaning or sarcastic tone a lot of the time. Many media sites highlighted that he claimed that "Fortnite trained [him] to be a killer", and gave negative commentary towards the gaming community/Fortnite because of it, but the full quote is:

"Were you taught violence and extremism by video
games,music,literature,cinema?

Yes, Spyro the dragon 3 taught me ethno-nationalism. Fortnite trained me
to be a killer and to floss on the corpses of my enemies.

No."

Which... is completely different than simply claiming, "Fortnite trained me to be a killer" roll (which is a ridiculous claim to make in the first place, anyway)

On the topic of this, though, it's great to see Minecraft players paying tribute to Notre Dame. Minecraft is such a good game, I don't care what anybody says. smile It's got some great gamers that play it, too.
Kinect is not dead; change my mind.
Buttercup III
Buttercup III
Posted on 16 April 19 at 12:50
Hook this content to my veins
NismoR034
NismoR034
Posted on 16 April 19 at 13:10, Edited on 16 April 19 at 13:11 by NismoR034
KinectKid333 said:
NismoR034 said:
The sad thing about Fortnite being blamed for the New Zealand shooting was that it's not even true. Many media sites took the killer's words out of context, presumably because it made for good clickbait. In his actual manifesto, he shared very radical views but often had a demeaning or sarcastic tone a lot of the time. Many media sites highlighted that he claimed that {#}Fortnite trained [him] to be a killer{#}, and gave negative commentary towards the gaming community/Fortnite because of it, but the full quote is:

{#}Were you taught violence and extremism by video
games,music,literature,cinema?

Yes, Spyro the dragon 3 taught me ethno-nationalism. Fortnite trained me
to be a killer and to floss on the corpses of my enemies.

No.{#}

Which... is completely different than simply claiming, {#}Fortnite trained me to be a killer{#} roll

On the topic of this, though, it's great to see Minecraft players paying tribute to Notre Dame. Minecraft is such a good game, I don't care what anybody says. smile It's got some great gamers that play it, too.
Oh believe me, I'm well aware of how ridiculous it was, and how it was taken out of context. But, sadly, whether it was out of context or not is beside the point, the mere mention of it and the media's following coverage is enough of an association for it to stick, valid or not. Blaming Fortnite on training someone to be a killer is basically the equivalent of saying The Simpsons taught all of us about the Mafia rather than The Sopranos; completely ridiculous for those of us who pay attention for more than a second but for those that just hear the words and take them at face value, it's enough. Unfortunately.

Even ignoring New Zealand, Fortnite has been the scapegoat for the past year, and we all know why. It's because it's the biggest game right now. Everyone's trying to capitalise, positively or negatively, on it, and while its momentum this year has slowed considerably compared to last year, in wider society it's the game that everyone still knows. Its time in the spotlight will pass, as Minecraft did before it and many other games before that, but for now, it's *the* game, and so when the asshole who did New Zealand name drops it he knows full well that it will trigger the kind of reaction it ultimately did. So it gets blamed while more realistic shooters get completely glossed over (not that they would be at fault either), no matter how unfair that actually is.

And the irony is, of course, that people like you and me who actually pay attention to gaming know that Fortnite wasn't even originally a battle royale, but the rest of society doesn't know that and don't care to, either, which only exacerbates the problem even more.

But... this isn't about Fortnite. I haven't even played the game, haha. I feel like I'm the only person in the world who hasn't, and were I to, I'd be much more interested in playing 'Save the World' than the battle royale. I only name dropped it and New Zealand because it was the most recent instance I could think of where gaming was portrayed in a negative light. That's why I made my post above -- it's really heartening to see this happening in the Minecraft community right now, and I love it when things like this (and the other examples I mentioned) happen. It doesn't happen enough. That, and we hardly hear about it as well.
ScoobyDoobyD0nt
Posted on 16 April 19 at 13:11
What a headline!

Also, pretty nice to see people come together over something for once instead of fighting and taking sides
Scoooooby-doooooby-dooooo
VfV Savior
VfV Savior
Posted on 16 April 19 at 13:27
Most achievements aren't unlocking for me in Minecraft right now. Does anyone know if there will be an update soon?
Amuse me
Spike2055
Spike2055
Posted on 16 April 19 at 13:40
When did that happen?
Elite1111111111
Posted on 16 April 19 at 13:44
Spike2055 said:
When did that happen?
The fire? Yesterday.
MERCENAIRE ADAM
Posted on 16 April 19 at 14:42
Don't like Minecraft but people creativity can be great
Anowie
Anowie
Posted on 16 April 19 at 15:11
Thanks you from france❤
Anowie
Kennyannydenny
Posted on 16 April 19 at 15:54, Edited on 16 April 19 at 17:37 by Kennyannydenny
We feel you France, saw the Notre Dame in person a couple of years ago. Much love and support from the Netherlands! Hope this majestic building can be restored.
snake42069
snake42069
Posted on 16 April 19 at 20:39
reminds me of what happened in Star Wars The Old Republic when Carrie Fisher passed.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 17 April 19 at 00:57
I struggle to make anything resembling a building and these people just throw up the Notre Dame.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Emiinah
Emiinah
Posted on 17 April 19 at 03:15
Elyoh said:
I struggle to make anything resembling a building and these people just throw up the Notre Dame.
Lmfao so this. Maybe that’s why I dislike Minecraft so much, I just have to “git gud.”

In saying that if anyone can help with achievements hit me up!
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.