Site News Forum

Forum to discuss TA news items. Only TrueAchievement can post here

The TrueAchievements News & Editorial Team Is Recruiting!

AuthorMessage
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 20 April 19 at 08:17
HolyHalfDead said:
x Mataeus x said:
I'm interested in writing opinion pieces and reviews, but I can't possibly commit to the rest of it, especially unpaid. Two to three articles per week AND editing other writers' work and being expected to cover things like E3? As well as reviews and opinions?

That's a job, and you really should pay people for their work.
They are not really looking for people that see it as a job or a task that isn’t it’s own reward. It’s community work, just like you volunteer to do in your own community that you live in, to improve it for the entire community. Whether you are a volunteer fire fighter, or serve teas and coffees in the community hall.

I write at least 2 or 3 solutions for this site every week. I have also written a review and a walkthrough. I was doing this for other sites before TA even existed. Gaming is a part of my life.

I’ve been on the Game Info team here for a few years and I really enjoy playing a small part in the running of this great site. But unlike the GI staff, you will get some review copies - that is a very nice perk. They can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe you will also get TA Pro.

Good luck to everyone who applies.
Congrats on all that free time and volunteer work, but this is the real world and the 21st century. It's a highly competitive global economy where time is money and pretty soon you're not going to be able to find people who have the time to volunteer when wages are getting lower and the cost of living is getting higher and higher as everybody is competing with everybody just to scratch out a basic standard of living.

Having a bunch of free time to volunteer to write 3 full length articles a week every week for free is a luxury fewer and fewer people are going to have as time goes on and the market becomes even more cutthroat.

(In before somebody replies to this breaking their arm to pat themselves on the back about how they work 372 hours a week at a real job, volunteer here on TA churning out 73 walkthroughs a month, and still have time to raise 4 families, and run a non-profit organization for displaced lesbian railroad workers with muscular dystrophy)
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
NITEMARECREATOR
Posted on 21 April 19 at 01:30, Edited on 21 April 19 at 01:32 by NITEMARECREATOR
Evandalist said:
...and run a non-profit organization for displaced lesbian railroad workers with muscular dystrophy)
I damn near sprayed my laptop with Devil's Cut and pissed myself laughing when I read that...

...great to be a happy drunk!! laugh

Happy 4/20 btw everyone!!
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 21 April 19 at 10:27
Evandalist said:
HolyHalfDead said:
x Mataeus x said:
I'm interested in writing opinion pieces and reviews, but I can't possibly commit to the rest of it, especially unpaid. Two to three articles per week AND editing other writers' work and being expected to cover things like E3? As well as reviews and opinions?

That's a job, and you really should pay people for their work.
They are not really looking for people that see it as a job or a task that isn’t it’s own reward. It’s community work, just like you volunteer to do in your own community that you live in, to improve it for the entire community. Whether you are a volunteer fire fighter, or serve teas and coffees in the community hall.

I write at least 2 or 3 solutions for this site every week. I have also written a review and a walkthrough. I was doing this for other sites before TA even existed. Gaming is a part of my life.

I’ve been on the Game Info team here for a few years and I really enjoy playing a small part in the running of this great site. But unlike the GI staff, you will get some review copies - that is a very nice perk. They can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe you will also get TA Pro.

Good luck to everyone who applies.
Congrats on all that free time and volunteer work, but this is the real world and the 21st century. It's a highly competitive global economy where time is money and pretty soon you're not going to be able to find people who have the time to volunteer when wages are getting lower and the cost of living is getting higher and higher as everybody is competing with everybody just to scratch out a basic standard of living.

Having a bunch of free time to volunteer to write 3 full length articles a week every week for free is a luxury fewer and fewer people are going to have as time goes on and the market becomes even more cutthroat.

(In before somebody replies to this breaking their arm to pat themselves on the back about how they work 372 hours a week at a real job, volunteer here on TA churning out 73 walkthroughs a month, and still have time to raise 4 families, and run a non-profit organization for displaced lesbian railroad workers with muscular dystrophy)
As a sufferer of dystrophy, I resent that comment laugh
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
Lord Glenn
Lord Glenn
Posted on 23 April 19 at 07:06
Unpaid work, sounds great! Oh no, wait. That would be utterly stupid.
BlazingNobleKid
Posted on 24 April 19 at 12:49
Wait we don't get paid for that? . . . - calmly loads gun puts gun to head pulls trigger. Just out of curiosity are all the ppl who work for ta i.e. write/admin working for free? Coz u bet there's some ppl who do nothing yet get money from ads etc. If so who are they?
BlazingNobleKid
Posted on 24 April 19 at 12:51
Sam Quirke, if that is your real name, do you get paid or are you simply trying to find a replacement for yourself so you can escape a meaningless drone like existence and damn one of us by tricking us to take your place? It's like an episode of black mirror
KirkSadler
KirkSadler
Posted on 24 April 19 at 17:00, Edited on 24 April 19 at 17:01 by KirkSadler
Here is reality: there are people in their early 20s with no families and a job that is not fulfilling. If in their *spare* time want to help out a site they love by *volunteering* at a site they love, please don't put them down. I am old and grey and volunteer lots in my community and don't expect to get paid for helping those who need help. I understand that people will counter that the site doesn't need the same kind of help, but people aren't forced to be a Newshound, they are being asked. Because I write a lot of silly, crappy blogs I was invited a few months ago to be a Newshound and I declined. There are people who *volunteer* to run forums for the games they love, *volunteer* to help others with achievements by playing video games among dozens of other technical things. Sorry for ranting, but if you are not interested, please ignore this thread. If you are interested, please volunteer your name.
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 24 April 19 at 21:41
The sector as a whole needs to be regulated - it's not just the True Network who rake in cash from ads and subscriptions whilst existing on free content.

This kind of behaviour shouldn't be seen as the norm.
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
Mikasz
Mikasz
Posted on 26 April 19 at 07:28
Mikasz said:
From not native perspective, what's the level of English which a candidate should cover to apply for a position?

Second question, a bit related to the first one. I'm not feeling 'good enough' to correct English speaking people language mistakes (again, because it's not my first language). Is it a drawback for people interested in volunteering?

Lastly, based on your experience, how much time does a newshound spend weekly on their job? Estimation is ok for me, it doesn't have to be precise.

* Before anyone makes false assumptions, I'm working in English company and this is my every day language.
Hi TA. I understand it was Easter time and many people were occupied with important family stuff (so was I) so the response time is longer than usual but if you decide to recruit new people in any period, be prepared to answer some questions, if they appear. Especially if you're looking for volunteers, it's your main interest to convince people to exchange their free time for contribution to the site. Otherwise, as in this example, the whole recruitment looks unprofessional and doesn't really convince people to send their writings for evaluation.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 26 April 19 at 17:32
Mikasz said:
Hi TA. I understand it was Easter time and many people were occupied with important family stuff (so was I) so the response time is longer than usual but if you decide to recruit new people in any period, be prepared to answer some questions, if they appear. Especially if you're looking for volunteers, it's your main interest to convince people to exchange their free time for contribution to the site. Otherwise, as in this example, the whole recruitment looks unprofessional and doesn't really convince people to send their writings for evaluation.
Did you send a PM to kintaris? He says in the article to let him know if you have any questions.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 26 April 19 at 17:59
Shinnizle said:
Mikasz said:
Did you send a PM to kintaris? He says in the article to let him know if you have any questions.
Hi both, I've been in touch via PM.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 26 April 19 at 18:04
Good guy Bulbasaur
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Mikasz
Mikasz
Posted on 28 April 19 at 22:04
kintaris said:
Shinnizle said:
Mikasz said:
Hi both, I've been in touch via PM.
Hi, I have just seen your message. I promise, I read the announcement like three-four times looking for 'how can I ask a question' and I have absolutely no idea how did I miss last line... Sorry for being blind fool.
Plathfan
Plathfan
Posted on 29 April 19 at 11:25
As someone who works as a writer creating this kind of content on a daily basis, it makes me really sad to read that you don't pay any of the people who write for you. Not only that, 3k a week minimum is a lot to ask of someone in a volunteer position. Granted, they may get review codes - and as such free games - but how many of those will actually be any good? So they have to put a few hours into playing a game and then an hour or so into writing a review.

Add to that the amount of content you require just as a sample to apply for the position, and I'm surprised this isn't being shared on the 'Clients from Hell' Twitter page.

I do appreciate reading the reviews and articles on this site, but I think your writers deserve a lot more than the odd review code.
NessNoldo
NessNoldo
Posted on 03 May 19 at 19:31
That's why all this pages end closing. Every day the life is getting harder, and more people recuiting want workers for free. Let's be real, you can't ask an amount of work to somebody if you're not going to pay for it. Basically, people who works for you must do what they want if at the end there is no payment between.
CRISTIAN1ELITE
Posted on 05 May 19 at 12:28
Good luck to all those who apply!
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 06 May 19 at 22:10
NessNoldo said:
That's why all this pages end closing. Every day the life is getting harder, and more people recuiting want workers for free. Let's be real, you can't ask an amount of work to somebody if you're not going to pay for it. Basically, people who works for you must do what they want if at the end there is no payment between.
That's what defines a volunteer position for me: You do it in your spare time. Your free time. You can't ask for a minimum workload from a volunteer - you should just be happy when they contribute.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 07 May 19 at 08:59
You can ask and it's up to the individual if they choose to volunteer (as many have done). This opinion here is irrelevant and becoming annoying. Please stop.
Play nice!
Traguez
Traguez
Posted on 10 May 19 at 04:45
Wish all the best to the ones who apply 👍🏻
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.