Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

World War Z Review

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 22 April 19 at 20:41
Horde World Tour

Please click here to read the story: World War Z Review
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 22 April 19 at 20:55
Heard nothing but good things about this. If Mortal Kombat wasn't coming out I'd be playing it right now. Good review.
Rista B
368,334
Rista B
Posted on 22 April 19 at 21:24
Is there enough game here for single play or is this really all about MP?
Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
KylKo
693,734
KylKo
Posted on 22 April 19 at 21:26, Edited on 22 April 19 at 21:27 by KylKo
I absolutely love it. It's been a long time since I've had a game that makes me watch the clock at work, anxious to get home and dive in again. I'd be happier with better matchmaking and more variety, but it looks like those are on the way.

Make sure the achievements are tracking as you go along. I had a session where I passed the marked special zombies requirement while the tracker wasn't working and now that achievement seems permanently glitched for me.
KylKo
693,734
KylKo
Posted on 22 April 19 at 22:07, Edited on 22 April 19 at 22:08 by KylKo
Rista B said:
Is there enough game here for single play or is this really all about MP?
I think single play is great, and often less frustrating than multiplayer because the friendly AI is especially protective of you. Just like in Left 4 Dead, however, don't expect to be able to get through the harder difficulties alone.

Also want to mention that there are only six classes, not eight like the review says.
BigWiIIieStyIe
Posted on 22 April 19 at 22:19
Odd that with reviews somebody always tries to compare a game to other series outside of itself. I'd get it if this was a Left 4 Dead game to compare it to itself. But I honestly would have never put World War Z in the same vein I would have just thought hey here is a zombie game based off the book. With that I would expect a review to compare how the game follows the books narrative and how the story is developed more than how it's not Left 4 Dead 3.
Rakkman Forever
Posted on 22 April 19 at 22:40
Really enjoying the game so far but the game NEEDS to add private lobbies asap. Had quite a few connectivity issues and game crashes but for the most part it's a lot of fun.
Zorlac0666
153,558
Zorlac0666
Posted on 22 April 19 at 23:03
BigWiIIieStyIe said:
Odd that with reviews somebody always tries to compare a game to other series outside of itself. I'd get it if this was a Left 4 Dead game to compare it to itself. But I honestly would have never put World War Z in the same vein I would have just thought hey here is a zombie game based off the book. With that I would expect a review to compare how the game follows the books narrative and how the story is developed more than how it's not Left 4 Dead 3.
You compare games to other games in the same genre and that's a very fair comparison. It does everything L4D2 did, but does it a little better. You certainly wouldn't compare it to star wars battlefront for example, that wouldn't make any sense. Comparing it to L4D is absolutely fair as they are identical style of games.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
BigWiIIieStyIe
Posted on 22 April 19 at 23:24
Zorlac0666 said:
BigWiIIieStyIe said:
Odd that with reviews somebody always tries to compare a game to other series outside of itself. I'd get it if this was a Left 4 Dead game to compare it to itself. But I honestly would have never put World War Z in the same vein I would have just thought hey here is a zombie game based off the book. With that I would expect a review to compare how the game follows the books narrative and how the story is developed more than how it's not Left 4 Dead 3.
You compare games to other games in the same genre and that's a very fair comparison. It does everything L4D2 did, but does it a little better. You certainly wouldn't compare it to star wars battlefront for example, that wouldn't make any sense. Comparing it to L4D is absolutely fair as they are identical style of games.
Not saying to compare it to Battlefront, and saying it's an identical game isn't true either one is first person the other is third. Both are for different publisher with different design teams with different stories. I guess what I'm getting at is let a game stand on it's own without being compared to others that IMO don't relate besides both having guns and shooting zombies.

There was another review on TA similar where they were trying to compare it to another franchise yet the two games played differently and were intended for different audiences. By comparing it they scored is on a bias instead of going in with a fresh perspective While it's hard not to compare games to what has occurred in the past, trying to say something was made to imitate it might not be accurate and therefore the comparison is invalid. Now if the developers for WWZ said hey we really enjoyed L4D and wanted to make a homage to it with our game then I'd bite.
BqCaduceusMD
495,526
BqCaduceusMD
Posted on 22 April 19 at 23:29
Did the review styles change recently? I still remember the pros/cons column at the end of each article.
"Only when you allow someone else to define your success do you truly experience failure."
Dr Latour
682,668
Dr Latour
Posted on 23 April 19 at 00:02
3/5 for me and this is after spending 36 hrs on it.
DR
Elyoh
684,330
Elyoh
Posted on 23 April 19 at 00:05
BqCaduceusMD said:
Did the review styles change recently? I still remember the pros/cons column at the end of each article.
Probably got rid of them because people would just skip the review, read the pros/cons and then complain that the end score doesn't like up.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Zorlac0666
153,558
Zorlac0666
Posted on 23 April 19 at 00:09
BigWiIIieStyIe said:
Zorlac0666 said:
BigWiIIieStyIe said:
Odd that with reviews somebody always tries to compare a game to other series outside of itself. I'd get it if this was a Left 4 Dead game to compare it to itself. But I honestly would have never put World War Z in the same vein I would have just thought hey here is a zombie game based off the book. With that I would expect a review to compare how the game follows the books narrative and how the story is developed more than how it's not Left 4 Dead 3.
You compare games to other games in the same genre and that's a very fair comparison. It does everything L4D2 did, but does it a little better. You certainly wouldn't compare it to star wars battlefront for example, that wouldn't make any sense. Comparing it to L4D is absolutely fair as they are identical style of games.
Not saying to compare it to Battlefront, and saying it's an identical game isn't true either one is first person the other is third. Both are for different publisher with different design teams with different stories. I guess what I'm getting at is let a game stand on it's own without being compared to others that IMO don't relate besides both having guns and shooting zombies.

There was another review on TA similar where they were trying to compare it to another franchise yet the two games played differently and were intended for different audiences. By comparing it they scored is on a bias instead of going in with a fresh perspective While it's hard not to compare games to what has occurred in the past, trying to say something was made to imitate it might not be accurate and therefore the comparison is invalid. Now if the developers for WWZ said hey we really enjoyed L4D and wanted to make a homage to it with our game then I'd bite.
The change of perspective really doesn't matter. It's absolutely still comparable to left 4 dead in every way.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
Dark Death 90
345,086
Dark Death 90
Posted on 23 April 19 at 00:34, Edited on 23 April 19 at 00:37 by Dark Death 90
I had to go to 5 different stores to get a copy of this. It was sold out at my GameStop. Sold out at my other GameStop. Sold out at Best Buy. Sold out at Target. Finally I got the VERY LAST copy at my Wal-Mart. I went to ask the guy to get the game for me, I pointed to it and before I could say the name he said "Ah, World War Z." He then went on to tell me they had been selling that game more than any other, He had sold the second to last copy only 15 minutes before me. Also, for some reason it was even cheaper at Wal_Mart, I got it for only $34.

Anyway, I've been loving it so far. Really good fun! Probably as close to L4D3 as we're going to get at this point.
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
Lockie
256,305
Lockie
Posted on 23 April 19 at 03:17
"based on the Max Brooks book from years before that"

As someone who's read the book, that's a bit of a stretch.
Posting from sunny Australia.
Emiinah
46,552
Emiinah
Posted on 23 April 19 at 04:56
I completely forgot about this game. I’ll have to grab it for my partner, gameplay on YT looks like great fun.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.
The Manic Moose
Posted on 23 April 19 at 08:49
My friend and I bought this together on Thursday last week and it may as well be left 4 dead 3! Both of us love it and the campaigns on insane difficulty are really enjoyable - must communicate haha.

Some of the achievements don’t pop when they should but this will hopefully sort itself out shortly.

A bit addicted to be honest I like the levelling up system gives you something to work to rather than just completing campaign.

I’m hoping they release more episodes but no issues if not.
Manic Intent
284,544
Manic Intent
Posted on 23 April 19 at 10:44
I’ve had nothing but good times so far with this game, the co op is hilarious when u have a group of friends playing with you and the multiplayer is enjoyable as well, my first take on the MP wasn’t too great but I was riding solo with randoms, with a group it’s definitly a blast.
MM
CHAOTIC IZUAL
421,516
CHAOTIC IZUAL
Posted on 23 April 19 at 11:35
Holds up quite well as a lfd clone, as close to a lfd 3 as we can get right now. Loads of fun
sugar is sweet lemons are sour spread your legs and feel my power :D
JungAndReckless
Posted on 23 April 19 at 12:51
BigWiIIieStyIe said:
Zorlac0666 said:
BigWiIIieStyIe said:
Odd that with reviews somebody always tries to compare a game to other series outside of itself. I'd get it if this was a Left 4 Dead game to compare it to itself. But I honestly would have never put World War Z in the same vein I would have just thought hey here is a zombie game based off the book. With that I would expect a review to compare how the game follows the books narrative and how the story is developed more than how it's not Left 4 Dead 3.
You compare games to other games in the same genre and that's a very fair comparison. It does everything L4D2 did, but does it a little better. You certainly wouldn't compare it to star wars battlefront for example, that wouldn't make any sense. Comparing it to L4D is absolutely fair as they are identical style of games.
Not saying to compare it to Battlefront, and saying it's an identical game isn't true either one is first person the other is third. Both are for different publisher with different design teams with different stories. I guess what I'm getting at is let a game stand on it's own without being compared to others that IMO don't relate besides both having guns and shooting zombies.

There was another review on TA similar where they were trying to compare it to another franchise yet the two games played differently and were intended for different audiences. By comparing it they scored is on a bias instead of going in with a fresh perspective While it's hard not to compare games to what has occurred in the past, trying to say something was made to imitate it might not be accurate and therefore the comparison is invalid. Now if the developers for WWZ said hey we really enjoyed L4D and wanted to make a homage to it with our game then I'd bite.
The perspective doesn't really matter, it's not what made left 4 dead unique. The special zombies, the horde defenses, the campaign and chapter system, and the director are what makes it unique, and this game is clearly inspired by it. Furthermore, there is an entire genre of games that has tried to mimic left 4 dead like earthfall, and the walking dead. Fans have been clamoring for it, and this game has been advertised as the new left 4 dead, so comparing the two is a just comparison.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.