Game Discussion: Mortal Kombat 11 Forum

Micro Transactions Or Micro Attention Spans?

AuthorMessage
Azrael008uk
Azrael008uk
Posted on 23 April 19 at 14:18
So before the game has actually been released for a full 24 hours I've heard people complaining it's too "grindy" and that the game doesn't give out enough "premium currency" for you to get "nice stuff" (I presume these are dresses for Raiden and Liu Kang etc...).

With the perils of real life I've only been able to spend about an hour with the game so far.

Are these legitimate complaints or is it a bunch of "boo-hoo" from self entitled millenials flipping out because the whole game doesn't unlock for them in 45 minutes?

What do people playing it think?
Murder Toad
Murder Toad
Posted on 23 April 19 at 17:00
I'm getting ready to load the game up and start playing. People are instant gratification creatures, that's just human nature. There isn't necessarily anything that says "self-entitled" by wanting to get where you want to go in the least amount of time possible and for some people, spending money to get from beginning to end without having to wait is just human nature.

It's kind of like taking a flight across the country. You can take a flight that has layovers and not spend a ton of money, or you can take a direct flight and pay out the nose. Do you believe that people who fly first class or drive a $100,000 car are "self-entitled"? I don't. They have the money to burn, and it's not my money, so why should I care?

Costumes and such are vanity items and if someone wants to spend their money (or their parents I guess), then that's their business. If they want to waste $60 dollars on a game and pay another $40, $50, $100 to turn the experience into a length less that of a movie... *shrug*
BigNev44
BigNev44
Posted on 23 April 19 at 19:28
Was watching Max Doods Twitch stream last night of this and they were really livid, they were disappointed that you basically grind for everything and they expect you to play this game for the rest of your life.
Azrael008uk
Azrael008uk
Posted on 23 April 19 at 20:41
But is that a bad thing?

That I can play the game for the rest of my life and still be gaining meaningful advancements and loot?

Are people getting angry because they don't want to work for it OR buy it or have they hamstrung the gamer with this model or are people having a cry because they can't follow a shopping list to absolute power in 3 days play?
BigNev44
BigNev44
Posted on 23 April 19 at 22:32
Truthfully, i think they were just mad about $60 Triple AAA games having microtransactions especially after they just had cosmetics in Injustice 2 lootboxes.

I came in the stream as they were saying "The game is awesome but the progression is VERY slow and the road to it takes way too much time...unless you spend money."
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 24 April 19 at 05:29
Azrael008uk said:
But is that a bad thing?

That I can play the game for the rest of my life and still be gaining meaningful advancements and loot?
The problem isn't that you can do that. It's that you basically can't get any meaningful advancements or loot unless you do.

As someone who has no problems with grind nonsense and spending more time on a game than its likely worth, everything I've seen points to this run of complaints actually being legitimate and being aimed at some real bullshit development decisions.
#mentallypudding
Rhinne
Rhinne
Posted on 24 April 19 at 11:28, Edited on 24 April 19 at 11:46 by Rhinne
It's not about people wanting instant gratification or entitlement, it's more about a meaningful return on your investment of time and effort.

Progression in some tower modes is heavily reliant on upgraded gear because the mode modifiers result in large difficulty spikes. Some of these are supposedly being changed/fixed - Ed Boon said fixed, which implies an unintended result, whereas some articles have said it's a change due to player backlash, so make of that what you will.

If you can't progress in those game modes you then have to spend time grinding for koins, then venture into the Krypt and hope that RNG is on your side with the loot box chests. However, the more common result is that you get a bunch of useless stuff like concept art, player card icons or skins after spending hours grinding the koins.

Sure, I understand a desire to keep people playing, but there's a line between challenging longevity and making the game a chore to play, giving no meaningful reward for your time.

With options to purchase the koins and the other in-game currency types to speed up the process (or not, if RNG lets you down again and gives you jack shit for your £20), and the game suggesting you use fight skip tokens - and then telling you to buy them if you don't have any - just feels manipulative in a £55 game and doesn't sit right with a lot of people.

If they really wanted to make extra money from the game, then sell the skins. Tying game progression to loot boxes is poor design - although I'm sure that is more Warner Brothers' decision than the intended design of the developers. Especially with pre-release videos of them saying no loot boxes.
keoskey
keoskey
Posted on 24 April 19 at 22:45, Edited on 24 April 19 at 22:45 by keoskey
its super grindy b/c the Publishers want your $6,440 for all the DLC
[url=http://xboxamerica.com/?r=card-23392][img]http://xboxamerica.com/gamercards/slim-summary/keoske
Fuzzmeister J
Fuzzmeister J
Posted on 25 April 19 at 11:45
keoskey said:
And all of that gear can be earned. It just costs $6440 if you don't want to play the game you just bought.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 26 April 19 at 01:03
Fuzzmeister J said:
keoskey said:
And all of that gear can be earned. It just costs $6440 if you don't want to play the game you just bought.
The amount of time it takes to get that isn't reasonable though, and that's the problem. Grindy is fine, but this game takes it to a whole new level
#mentallypudding
Azrael008uk
Azrael008uk
Posted on 26 April 19 at 07:59
keoskey said:
Ed Boon himself has mocked this as ridiculous but he has acknowledged that some of the towers need fixes and are getting them.
Sol76
Sol76
Posted on 29 April 19 at 12:27
Well , I have been playing this from release now and then , doing some towers , playing through half of the story , cruising through a big part of the krypt and unlocking as much chests as possible and not only the cheapest or in the first part of the krypt , A.i. battles , linking to the mobile game for more koins and all the other modes and yesterday I thought : Now , let mee see What i’ve gathered in one week of normal playing .... I discovered that I have unlocked the shocking ammount of 3!!! Skins , about 150.000 pieces of concept art , icons , banners and backgrounds , some pieces of gear and a collection of augments ( AI battles seem to give loads ) for characters I do not play regularly. Maybe I am extremely unlucky but it looks like you do have to play 24/7 for 365 days to unlock some usefull things and especially skins.
But do you get the skins you’ve encountered during the story after you finished it ? That would be a first step in the right direction because collecting them normally just WILL take me up to 2025 to have just a couple of them.
I know there has to be something to unlock for the die-hard MK enthusiasts that play this game non stop , but this is a grind fest that only 0,001% of the gamers will complete. Skins just should not unlock only for players that have been playing the game for 500 hours and are extremely lucky. Give them a badge or something so they can show how much time they invested in the game Instead of how lucky they are with it.
Azrael008uk
Azrael008uk
Posted on 30 April 19 at 09:23
A couple of things.

Firstly, it's not "Pokemon". You don't have to Katch Them All.

Secondly, you unlock a skin for every character in the game simply by doing their tutorial which has you do their moves. The tutorial is very basic. You'll use the character and go through essentially their special moves and a few simple combos. So that's an extra 25 skins for you.

There's tons of Kontent but most people do seem to be getting Kross because they can't have it all in a couple of days.

There are much better reasons to be Kross such as the need to pay Koins to add and remove Augments and the fact that the game's current difficulty spike with the Towers means that the only way I've been able to Komplete some of them is by sending in my own cheap @ss A.I. fighters making this one of the greatest games I have ever sat back and watched in a while.
Sol76
Sol76
Posted on 30 April 19 at 12:07
Thnks for pointing out that the tutorial gives you a skin. Didn’t know that!
Yesterday I played a while and I don’t Know if it was coincidence or a patch from the servers side but almost every chest I opened contained something usefull like krypt keys and skins Instead of the normal concept artwork or icons. Unlocking things at this rate is fine by me , it was just the first couple of days I was just a little demotivated seeing that with unlocking around 50 chests and playing casually I got nowhere , I got a shitload of concept arts but I guess I was just a little unlucky. The unlocking of “usefull” stuff seems to be more even now but as I said , it could be that I was just very unlucky.
Xealon
Xealon
Posted on 30 April 19 at 12:42
Sol76 said:
Thnks for pointing out that the tutorial gives you a skin. Didn’t know that!
Yesterday I played a while and I don’t Know if it was coincidence or a patch from the servers side but almost every chest I opened contained something usefull like krypt keys and skins Instead of the normal concept artwork or icons. Unlocking things at this rate is fine by me , it was just the first couple of days I was just a little demotivated seeing that with unlocking around 50 chests and playing casually I got nowhere , I got a shitload of concept arts but I guess I was just a little unlucky. The unlocking of “usefull” stuff seems to be more even now but as I said , it could be that I was just very unlucky.
I would think it was bad luck at the start. I remember reading something from NRS saying the krypt contains the same things for everyone just in different locations. So if 2 people unlock everything they will end up with exactly the same items just received from different chests.

I've been playing since last week and have not noticed any difference in drop rates of things like skins. Although a lot of skins for me were through soul jars
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.