Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Microsoft Says Minecraft Will Celebrate its 10th Birthday Without Notch

AuthorMessage
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 30 April 19 at 12:13
Petty and pathetic.
What can change the nature of a man?
Itzz Sh0wt1m3
Itzz Sh0wt1m3
Posted on 30 April 19 at 12:31
Do they celebrate this with new achievements or maybe challenges?
Happy Birthday Minecraft - Create a cake between 17 and 24th of May?
Seitzz
Seitzz
Posted on 30 April 19 at 12:36
This is probably the only game that I've known in my lifetime of such a long life cycle, granted I'm not that old. I haven't played the game intensively as I once used to other than the achievements and title updates. Oh how far this game has come. It's interesting to view it from an outside looking in perspective. The game and everything surrounding it has changed so much, I guess as you would expect when it got sold.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 30 April 19 at 12:41
It’s strange to see the “get woke, go broke” crowd no longer supporting a world where your opinions can have a reputational cost. I wonder what’s different this time. 🤔
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 30 April 19 at 12:46
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
It’s strange to see the “get woke, go broke” crowd no longer supporting a world where your opinions can have a reputational cost. I wonder what’s different this time. 🤔
"Keep politics away from games!"

Microsoft disassociates Minecraft with someone because of their "political" views

"Not like that! Politics I like are fine!"
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:01, Edited on 30 April 19 at 13:02 by RadiantViper
NawtyCawty said:
Kennyannydenny said:
Soooo does it matter if it's celebrated with him or not? I mean, if he didn't touch the game since 2014 i'm fine with celebrating it without him.

When you sell your stuff, and you don't start working for the company you sold it to, then the company is going to do things without you with your stuff. Simple as that. I don't see the problem, nor the reason why this article even exists...
It’s just TA trying to climb on the bandwagon and appear ‘on trend’ with the thought police. And failing miserably.
A company not wanting to be seen supporting someone who spouts conspiracy theory nonsense and bigotry on Twitter is not "thought police". It's basic PR.

He can think what he wants, he can say what he wants. No one has to associate with him if they don't want to.
Dakrkplayer2
Dakrkplayer2
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:07
Zorlac0666 said:
So to you guys defending him....As a public figure, yes you can still have an opinion. Yes it can be whatever you want it to be. No you can't expect to stay a public figure for very long if you run around insulting entire demographics of people.

Come on guys, this isn't the 1950s. There's no place for hatred and bigotry in today's world, and especially not in our industry. Making stories about it is one thing, that's part of the art. Actually being a racist asshole and expecting a company to keep you on as a representative is a whole other story.

Now I know I'm gonna get called soft or whatever, and I don't care, but that kind of behavior simply has no place in the video game industry, or any other entertainment industry. (or any at all for that matter).
Agree with you. And those anti SJ think it okay to hate other groups of people.
XBOX 4 LIFE
HuwCW87
HuwCW87
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:15
From what I read online he also argued with a few feminists over the word "mansplaning" and the word "cunt"as an insult (dicks an ok insult though) apparently mansplaning is a way to silence women .
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:16, Edited on 30 April 19 at 13:17 by Awoo
RadiantViper said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
{#}Keep politics away from games!{#}

Microsoft disassociates Minecraft with someone because of their {#}political{#} views

{#}Not like that! Politics I like are fine!{#}
People typically complain when political correctness and agendas affect the content of games where it's not needed. Minecraft doesn't contain anything remotely related to the statements that are being frowned upon by MS here, so it's really a completely different scenario than usual. It's fair game to an extend since it's their intellectual property and they can do what they want with it, but I find it very disrespectful to refuse someone credit for the thing they created just because you're scared your company will lose face due to somehow being associated with it. An association I doubt anyone would make in the first place... Things like this typically have the opposite effect anyway, and always leads to more bad PR than they would have garnered just leaving the name in.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:20
So it would seem...
Play nice!
ElSaviola
ElSaviola
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:20
Awoo said:
RadiantViper said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

Microsoft disassociates Minecraft with someone because of their "political" views

People typically complain when political correctness and agendas affect the content of games where it's not needed. Minecraft doesn't contain anything remotely related to the statements that are being frowned upon by MS here, so it's really a completely different scenario than usual. It's fair game to an extend since it's their intellectual property and they can do what they want with it, but I find it very disrespectful to refuse someone credit for the thing they created just because you're scared your company will lose face due to somehow being associated with it. An association I doubt anyone would make in the first place... Things like this typically have the opposite effect anyway, and always leads to more bad PR than they would have garnered just leaving the name in.
This sums up my thoughts exactly.
BiLLzuMaNaTi
BiLLzuMaNaTi
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:22
Zorlac0666 said:
So to you guys defending him....As a public figure, yes you can still have an opinion. Yes it can be whatever you want it to be. No you can't expect to stay a public figure for very long if you run around insulting entire demographics of people.

Come on guys, this isn't the 1950s. There's no place for hatred and bigotry in today's world, and especially not in our industry. Making stories about it is one thing, that's part of the art. Actually being a racist asshole and expecting a company to keep you on as a representative is a whole other story.

Now I know I'm gonna get called soft or whatever, and I don't care, but that kind of behavior simply has no place in the video game industry, or any other entertainment industry. (or any at all for that matter).
You can insult white people and won’t have any problems. Matter of fact it seems encouraged. But ANY criticism for everyone else is quickly deemed as hate speech. Everyone can be criticized, there should be no protected classes. Protected classes create victim mentalities
YouTube: AchievementLand
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:28, Edited on 30 April 19 at 13:31 by RadiantViper
Awoo said:
RadiantViper said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

Microsoft disassociates Minecraft with someone because of their {#}political{#} views

Who defines "not needed"? Why is okay for Notch to spread horrible messages but not okay for a game company to make their game politically correct? Isn't that just their opinion?

They're not refusing credit, he's still credited in the game. They are under no obligation to invite him to an event for the game.

Backlash from people defending a racist conspiracy theory nut vs. backlash for associating with a racist conspiracy nut. Yeah I'll take the former any day, thanks.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 30 April 19 at 13:43
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
Zorlac0666 said:

You can insult white people and won’t have any problems. Matter of fact it seems encouraged. But ANY criticism for everyone else is quickly deemed as hate speech. Everyone can be criticized, there should be no protected classes. Protected classes create victim mentalities
Absolute nonsense, people say racist and homophobic things all the time and get away with it. Casual homophobia is especially rampant. I would love some examples of the "criticism for everyone else" you have though.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 30 April 19 at 14:23
RadiantViper said:
Awoo said:
RadiantViper said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

Who defines {#}not needed{#}? Why is okay for Notch to spread horrible messages but not okay for a game company to make their game politically correct? Isn't that just their opinion?

They're not refusing credit, he's still credited in the game. They are under no obligation to invite him to an event for the game.

Backlash from people defending a racist conspiracy theory nut vs. backlash for associating with a racist conspiracy nut. Yeah I'll take the former any day, thanks.
If he's credited in the game still, then I don't know what the problem is. I thought the whole issue was that they removed his name from the game?

"Not needed" in other situations usually refers for me to the typical nonsense of hamfisting political/ideological material into games that otherwise have nothing to do with those topics. A lot of those things do get overblown for sure, but sometimes the outrage is fairly justified. Like I said though, that has nothing to do with this case, so there's no reason to treat it as such.

People can also defend Notch without necessarily agreeing with any given thing he's said. If you think supporting his right to think what he wants without having his career (which is competely unrelated to his statements) impacted by it automatically means I endorse anything he says, that's just a bad attitude on your part.
Zorlac0666
Zorlac0666
Posted on 30 April 19 at 14:25
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
Zorlac0666 said:

We don't live in that society anymore. I'm sorry, but try not being an ass and insulting people. That's a better way to live life than justifying bad behavior.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
Vok 250
Vok 250
Posted on 30 April 19 at 14:26, Edited on 30 April 19 at 14:27 by Vok 250
Fang Foom said:
People can have their own opinions, just like other people can exclude those people from things.
Pretty much all that needs to be said on this one. Microsoft isn't preventing Notch from continuing to hold and voice his opinions online. They just aren't inviting him to hang out with them.

Same way people have the freedom to be jerks all day, but I also have the freedom to not invite them to my birthday party because they are jerks.

He also isn't entitled to be part of anything Minecraft anymore. Notch sold the rights to the game. It's not his anymore. He quite literally doesn't have rights to it. He sold them.
RadiantViper
RadiantViper
Posted on 30 April 19 at 14:33
Awoo said:
RadiantViper said:
Awoo said:
RadiantViper said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

Who defines "not needed"? Why is okay for Notch to spread horrible messages but not okay for a game company to make their game politically correct? Isn't that just their opinion?

If he's credited in the game still, then I don't know what the problem is. I thought the whole issue was that they removed his name from the game?

"Not needed" in other situations usually refers for me to the typical nonsense of hamfisting political/ideological material into games that otherwise have nothing to do with those topics. A lot of those things do get overblown for sure, but sometimes the outrage is fairly justified. Like I said though, that has nothing to do with this case, so there's no reason to treat it as such.

People can also defend Notch without necessarily agreeing with any given thing he's said. If you think supporting his right to think what he wants without having his career (which is competely unrelated to his statements) impacted by it automatically means I endorse anything he says, that's just a bad attitude on your part.
They removed his name from being in those main menu lines that are randomly chosen. I doubt they could legally remove his name from the actual credits.

Dude is worth billions. I don't think he needs a "career" and going to a Minecraft event surely stretches the definition of such a thing. But no, a company or group is not required to associated with you. Go into your job and say racist shit, would you be shocked if you got fired? No because the company has no obligation to keep employing you if you're damaging their reputation. That's how it works for everyone.
TrueAssassin86x
Posted on 30 April 19 at 14:55
roll

This whole thread
Xbox 1, Ps4, Switch Gamer. Feel free to add me.
BiLLzuMaNaTi
BiLLzuMaNaTi
Posted on 30 April 19 at 15:09
RadiantViper said:
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
Zorlac0666 said:

Absolute nonsense, people say racist and homophobic things all the time and get away with it. Casual homophobia is especially rampant. I would love some examples of the "criticism for everyone else" you have though.
I’ll give you an example. I went to a gay pride parade before and there were men exposed in public and children around. It was totally inappropriate. If someone were to criticize that they would be called a racist bigot homophobe. When you cant criticize things that are obviously wrong then there’s gonna be problems. No one should be exempt from criticism.
YouTube: AchievementLand