Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Microsoft Says Minecraft Will Celebrate its 10th Birthday Without Notch

AuthorMessage
planting42
planting42
Posted on 30 April 19 at 15:23
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
RadiantViper said:
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
Zorlac0666 said:
So to you guys defending him....As a public figure, yes you can still have an opinion. Yes it can be whatever you want it to be. No you can't expect to stay a public figure for very long if you run around insulting entire demographics of people.

Come on guys, this isn't the 1950s. There's no place for hatred and bigotry in today's world, and especially not in our industry. Making stories about it is one thing, that's part of the art. Actually being a racist asshole and expecting a company to keep you on as a representative is a whole other story.

Now I know I'm gonna get called soft or whatever, and I don't care, but that kind of behavior simply has no place in the video game industry, or any other entertainment industry. (or any at all for that matter).
You can insult white people and won’t have any problems. Matter of fact it seems encouraged. But ANY criticism for everyone else is quickly deemed as hate speech. Everyone can be criticized, there should be no protected classes. Protected classes create victim mentalities
Absolute nonsense, people say racist and homophobic things all the time and get away with it. Casual homophobia is especially rampant. I would love some examples of the "criticism for everyone else" you have though.
I’ll give you an example. I went to a gay pride parade before and there were men exposed in public and children around. It was totally inappropriate. If someone were to criticize that they would be called a racist bigot homophobe. When you cant criticize things that are obviously wrong then there’s gonna be problems. No one should be exempt from criticism.
Not calling one lifestyle better than others but there are whole groups of people that just don't like clothes. As long as said disrobed individuals weren't touching themselves in a sexual manner, that would be 100% legal in Vermont. Yes, you can walk down the road nude here if you are so inclined. It rarely happens, but its still legal.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 30 April 19 at 15:40
Things are going a bit too far off topic. Back on it please so we don't have to delete any more. Thanks.
Play nice!
Buttercup III
Buttercup III
Posted on 30 April 19 at 16:40
ElSaviola said:
Imagine having your own opinion... I long for the day where politics are kept out of our video games.
That’s not how this works, that’s not how any of this works
緑眼のイアン
Posted on 30 April 19 at 16:43, Edited on 30 April 19 at 16:51 by 緑眼のイアン
LOL at the clowns in here defending Notch and crying about "freedom of speech". You don't give a shit about freedom of speech/expression. You're just upset that people hold you accountable for the bigoted/racist/misogynistic/etc shit you say and so you get all pissy.

Also, Notch is basically an alt right shitposter these days. No one on Earth should take those racist, wannabe fascist losers as anything more than exactly how I just described them.
Jinrui ni eikou are!
Buttercup III
Buttercup III
Posted on 30 April 19 at 16:58
Nox Mortiis said:
LOL at the clowns in here defending Notch and crying about {#}freedom of speech{#}. You don't give a shit about freedom of speech/expression. You're just upset that people hold you accountable for the bigoted/racist/misogynistic/etc shit you say and so you get all pissy.

Also, Notch is basically an alt right shitposter these days. No one on Earth should take those racist, wannabe fascist losers as anything more than exactly how I just described them.
I’ve yet to see a single person screaming FREEZE PEACH actually know what it means and what freedom of speech entails/grants them
EYEHUNTER 42
EYEHUNTER 42
Posted on 30 April 19 at 17:43
ElSaviola said:
Imagine having your own opinion... I long for the day where politics are kept out of our video games.
All art is inherently political. You can't separate video games from politics. Even shooting aliens or robots is a political statement on the nature and necessity of violence. Tetris was censored in the Soviet Union for its political message.

pukem0nn said:
well, the dude has more money than all users of this site combined, so he likely won't care roll
Actually, Notch often tweets about being lonely. I suspent he cares quite a bit. Good. He should feel bad for promoting pizzagate. I'm happy to know that Notch's money has only made him miserable.
Dark Death 90
Dark Death 90
Posted on 30 April 19 at 17:56
The video game industry has sadly become a place where everyone must agree with the status quo. It's not a place for unique opinions. Either you tow the social justice line or you get kicked out. And likely called a racist bigot, because that's what anyone with a differing opinion gets called these days. Luckily, Notch is so rich that he doesn't have to worry about such things, he can say what he wants. I'm willing to bet he's not losing any sleep from the snub by Minecraft.
#1 Resident Evil Fan.
JoBE242
JoBE242
Posted on 30 April 19 at 18:30
M$ does not care about anything else than PROFIT.
Larvi1
Larvi1
Posted on 30 April 19 at 18:32
In my opinion there was no reason Microsoft had to go out of their way to make a special statement about this. They could have just not had him as part of the event without making a big deal of it. This is nothing but virtue signaling on their part and I find that pathetic.
緑眼のイアン
Posted on 30 April 19 at 18:41, Edited on 30 April 19 at 21:20 by Beanpotter
EYEHUNTER 42 said:
ElSaviola said:
All art is inherently political. You can't separate video games from politics. Even shooting aliens or robots is a political statement on the nature and necessity of violence. Tetris was censored in the Soviet Union for its political message.
The "Keep Politics Out of My _______, Dammit!" people are my favorites because they fail to understand exactly that. I've also noticed that literally every single one of them falls on a specific side of the political spectrum.

Buttercup III said:
Neezer said:
Deleted
I just choked from laughing so hard at this

Imagine thinking that a Venn diagram of SJWs and incels is a circle. That’s a good joke clap you should take this act on the road
Exactly what I thought, like, incels aren't exactly a political movement, but they tend to be both misogynist and often racist as hell, so I'm not sure how he figure's they're also SJWs. Then again, I get the impression he doesn't actually know what incels or even weebs are, just that they're insults.

Also assuming the weeb part is directed at me, since I'm the only anime avatar on this page at least. Joke's on you though: 日本に住んだこともあって、日本語がだいぶうまくなった。それに8月に戻って住むんだ。お前はどうするんだ?きっとそんなに印象的な人生を送ってないだろ。

Edit: Typos and my derped up Japanese. Sadly haven't spoken it much lately so it's gotten rusty as fuck for everything but reading/listening.
Jinrui ni eikou are!
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
Posted on 30 April 19 at 18:52, Edited on 30 April 19 at 18:57 by Nomstuff
Kennyannydenny said:
Soooo does it matter if it's celebrated with him or not? I mean, if he didn't touch the game since 2014 i'm fine with celebrating it without him.

When you sell your stuff, and you don't start working for the company you sold it to, then the company is going to do things without you with your stuff. Simple as that. I don't see the problem, nor the reason why this article even exists...
It exists because people evidently care about this "news"

Nox Mortiis said:
日本語がだいたい流暢んだ。日本に住んだことあって、それに8月戻っていて永住するよ。お前ってどうするんだい?きっとそんなに印象的な人生を送っていないじゃないな。
(笑)
Fooga
Fooga
Posted on 30 April 19 at 18:59
I’m learning all sorts of new things about people in this thread, and who not to associate with at all. I get playing devils advocate, but not for this loser.
Iggsy81
Iggsy81
Posted on 30 April 19 at 20:25
Good. The guy is an absolute wanker.
Noodles Jr
Noodles Jr
Posted on 30 April 19 at 21:06
planting42 said:
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
RadiantViper said:
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
Zorlac0666 said:
So to you guys defending him....As a public figure, yes you can still have an opinion. Yes it can be whatever you want it to be. No you can't expect to stay a public figure for very long if you run around insulting entire demographics of people.

Come on guys, this isn't the 1950s. There's no place for hatred and bigotry in today's world, and especially not in our industry. Making stories about it is one thing, that's part of the art. Actually being a racist asshole and expecting a company to keep you on as a representative is a whole other story.

Now I know I'm gonna get called soft or whatever, and I don't care, but that kind of behavior simply has no place in the video game industry, or any other entertainment industry. (or any at all for that matter).
You can insult white people and won’t have any problems. Matter of fact it seems encouraged. But ANY criticism for everyone else is quickly deemed as hate speech. Everyone can be criticized, there should be no protected classes. Protected classes create victim mentalities
Absolute nonsense, people say racist and homophobic things all the time and get away with it. Casual homophobia is especially rampant. I would love some examples of the {#}criticism for everyone else{#} you have though.
I’ll give you an example. I went to a gay pride parade before and there were men exposed in public and children around. It was totally inappropriate. If someone were to criticize that they would be called a racist bigot homophobe. When you cant criticize things that are obviously wrong then there’s gonna be problems. No one should be exempt from criticism.
Not calling one lifestyle better than others but there are whole groups of people that just don't like clothes. As long as said disrobed individuals weren't touching themselves in a sexual manner, that would be 100% legal in Vermont. Yes, you can walk down the road nude here if you are so inclined. It rarely happens, but its still legal.
@planting42 It being legal doesn't mean it can't be criticized. I'm not legally required to take showers, but it would be fair to criticize me if I never did. Similarly, Notch can criticize, and Notch can be criticized.

@RadiantViper I don't know what Notch said (nobody has provided any sources whatsoever), but the people who are defending him aren't defending what he said, they're defending his right to say it. People get away with saying racist, sexist and homophobic stuff all the time, because there aren't laws against it in the United States, so they aren't really "getting away" with anything.

@BiLLzuMaNaTi You're 100% right here. We're in a weird era where racism in general is more frowned upon than ever (as it should be), but there's an exception made for white people, especially straight white men. People can be openly hateful against sraight white men (cough Buzzfeed cough HuffPo cough Vox) and nobody cares, and when straight white men speak out against this, they're accused of being bigots. It's really pathetic.
If at first you don't succeed, lag switch.
Zorlac0666
Zorlac0666
Posted on 30 April 19 at 21:35
We arent' posting the links to it because we don't need to. If you care to see it you can search for it yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP
Posted on 30 April 19 at 21:49
Zorlac0666 said:
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
Zorlac0666 said:

We don't live in that society anymore. I'm sorry, but try not being an ass and insulting people. That's a better way to live life than justifying bad behavior.
Are you calling BiLLzuMaNaTi an ass and accusing him of insulting or is this just to people in general? I like how you call them an ass and tell them not to insult. laugh
Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 07h 01m 34s (PS4 ; 2nd), 17d 07h 01m 36s (Xbox One ; 1st) Xbox 360 : 17d 07h 00m (hacked leaderboard)
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 30 April 19 at 22:28
Zorlac0666 said:
We arent' posting the links to it because we don't need to. If you care to see it you can search for it yourself.
The only two instances I could find were these,

http://fortune.com/2017/07/02/minecraft-markus-persson-homop...
When he tweeted about "hetrosexual pride day" and,

https://www.theroot.com/minecraft-creator-goes-full-white-pr...
When he tweeted "It's OK to be white".

If that's it, then I'm not sure what the fuss is about? So he thinks it's OK to be "white" and "straight" and that's enough to disassociate with him? Or is it the fear he'll say something worse?
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Zorlac0666
Zorlac0666
Posted on 30 April 19 at 22:33
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP said:
Zorlac0666 said:
BiLLzuMaNaTi said:
Zorlac0666 said:

We don't live in that society anymore. I'm sorry, but try not being an ass and insulting people. That's a better way to live life than justifying bad behavior.
Are you calling BiLLzuMaNaTi an ass and accusing him of insulting or is this just to people in general? I like how you call them an ass and tell them not to insult. laugh
No, that's a description of the behavior. Not him in particular. Reading comprehension matters.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Zorlac0666 Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
Ginuwine AI3
Ginuwine AI3
Posted on 30 April 19 at 22:35
Corrupt XBA said:
He supported Heterosexual pride day and {#}it's okay to be white{#}

He should have known it is NOT OKAY to be a straight white man
This guy gets it.
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
Posted on 30 April 19 at 22:39
Elyoh said:
Zorlac0666 said:
The only two instances I could find were these,

http://fortune.com/2017/07/02/minecraft-markus-persson-homop...
When he tweeted about "hetrosexual pride day" and,

https://www.theroot.com/minecraft-creator-goes-full-white-pr...
When he tweeted "It's OK to be white".

If that's it, then I'm not sure what the fuss is about? So he thinks it's OK to be "white" and "straight" and that's enough to disassociate with him? Or is it the fear he'll say something worse?
For MS, it's probably more related to the Conspiracy theory stuff liek Pizzagate and Qanon. It's rarely a good look to touch that kind of thing at all.