TA Playlist

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Zombie Army Trilogy Discussion - Spoilers

• Information
    Posted on 01 May 19 at 00:00
    Welcome back to another TA Playlist month. Use this thread to speak freely about Zombie Army Trilogy and assume anything goes in here.
  • Mr CostyMr Costy367,013
    Posted on 03 May 19 at 13:54
    Coming back to this game as I never started the horde mode after I completed the campaign!
    Boy oh boy, it is fun!
  • Posted on 03 May 19 at 18:01
    Well I finished the first part of chapter 1 and right now I’m not a big fan of the game. I’m already bored with it. No real story, no reason why one objective leads into another. It’s lacking cohesion to bring anything together and instead feels like you’re completing sniping mini games but it’s all pretty much the same mini game.

The game tells you very little which in this case felt like cutting corners. I didn’t know you could kick until I was reading achievements. Any explanation about secondary items you throw or plant in the ground, nope. I was watching the solution to shoot the grenade out of a suicide guys hand and heard him talking about slowing down time. I’d never heard of it and thought my guy had like super powers I didn’t know anything about. Had to Google it to figure what was going on.

Not everything is bad though, shooting my rifle feels good. The slo mo’s are cool but they happen way too often. Best thing is they give a side view of my guy shooting so it helps to let me know if I’m getting snuck up on. I like the variety if enemies so far and that they need different weapons to best dispose of them.

I think the achievement list is almost perfect. Has campaign, co-op, random things and collectible achievements. There are entirely too many collectibles and I think the game missed a real opportunity to have the collectibles tell some sort of a back story. Hopefully it gets better for me but right now I can only play this for 20 minutes and I’m dying to play something else.
  • AlahertAlahert2,627,488
    Posted on 09 May 19 at 11:47
    I finished the game a long time ago, it's pretty good if you're a Sniper Elite fan or a Zombies fan in general! Now that the game is on Xbox Game Pass, I should go back a finish some achievements!
    TRAP LOVERS
  • Charlie LimaCharlie Lima335,021
    Posted on 11 May 19 at 06:01
    I do like Sniper Elite, so I might give this one a go. Just have to check the achievement list first. Im so tired of grinding right now...
  • TVippyTVippy30,037
    Posted on 13 May 19 at 23:06
    This game can have something spoiled?

Can somebody explain how it works exactly? What would be the closest known equivalent? To my understanding, this "trilogy" doesn't have a campaign in the normal sense of the word, is it just a set of small maps to play horde mode with friends on?
    I don't play games very often. :( If you have a close GamerScore, add me! We'll compete. :)
  • BetaSigX20BetaSigX20853,963
    Posted on 14 May 19 at 16:08
    Charlie Lima said:
    I do like Sniper Elite, so I might give this one a go. Just have to check the achievement list first. Im so tired of grinding right now...
    If the stealth / sniping part of Sniper Elite is the thing that most appeals to you about those games, just know that that's largely absent from this one. One thing I liked about the Sniper Elite games was that you were dropped in on the map, and you had to try to take out the Nazis without revealing your position (or better yet, without even letting them know you were there), and so far, I haven't encountered anything close to that here.

In this game, when the zombies spawn they immediately know where you are and start coming for you. You go back and forth between two different situations... you're either moving towards the next checkpoint, and dealing with random zombies a few at a time along the way, or you must stand your ground and defend as a few waves of zombies and skeletons swarm toward you. There's no stealth about it. You can use your sniper skills to thin out the oncoming horde a bit (and that is fun if you get them all lined up and shambling down an alley toward you), but it loses a lot of the "sniper elite" feel in my opinion.

I've only done the first couple of missions, though, so maybe that's not representative of the whole game. The campaign levels are quite long (at least playing solo), so it's taking me a while to get through them.

TVippy said:
    This game can have something spoiled?

Can somebody explain how it works exactly? What would be the closest known equivalent? To my understanding, this "trilogy" doesn't have a campaign in the normal sense of the word, is it just a set of small maps to play horde mode with friends on?
    The closest equivalent is probably Sniper Elite, since that's what this game is based on. The gameplay mechanics are pretty much exactly the same as Sniper Elite 2 and 3, right up to the slow-mo bullet cam when you get a headshot with a sniper rifle.

There is a "campaign" mode, but it's basically the same type of campaign you get with Sniper Elite itself, or like a Call of Duty sort of game. There's a brief description at the beginning of a mission that basically just says where you are and what your objective is, but you can pretty much ignore it... during the missions, your goal is to just advance from one checkpoint to the next until the mission is over. Only difference is that instead of Nazi patrols and checkpoints, you get zombies and skeletons spawning out of the ground. There's a separate horde mode, as you mentioned.

It does seem like a spoilers thread is a bit superfluous for this one, although maybe there's some stuff about the level bosses that some people wouldn't want to know ahead of time?
  • ZWZW2,715,696
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 18:11
    Not playing it my self, but I like reading the discussion. This month kinda blows..
    ??ZW???????????????????????????????????
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19772,056,472
    Posted on 30 May 19 at 10:37
    ZW said:
    Not playing it my self, but I like reading the discussion. This month kinda blows..
    Although I am going to play it, there doesn't seem to be a lot to it, the posts on both forums seem to be divided into people that love it or hate it, but other than that it's not really generating much discussion. Doesn't seem like a great game for the playlist to be honest.
    Legohead 1977
    Posted on 30 May 19 at 14:16
    Legohead 1977 said:
    ZW said:
    Although I am going to play it, there doesn't seem to be a lot to it, the posts on both forums seem to be divided into people that love it or hate it, but other than that it's not really generating much discussion. Doesn't seem like a great game for the playlist to be honest.
    Yeah. Some games just don't inspire a lot of discussion, and I think this is one of them. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad game... it just doesn't have much in the way of "plot" or "themes" for us to discuss, beyond the obvious "kill zombies."

I will say that one thought I've had about this game is that it is a bit different from most of the current run of zombie media, in that these zombies are evil monsters that were summoned by occult rituals, rather than mindless corpses animated by a virus or some other "biological" form of zombie. That gives these zombies a little more character and intelligence than your standard virus-zombie, and additional abilities (like using weapons and super abilities), rather than just slashing and biting.

For my part, I've enjoyed the gameplay, but I just think the levels are waaaaay too long. Playing solo, you just to get a point of "isn't this level over yet?" And I can't even imagine getting four people together long enough to play through an entire level together... I know I wouldn't be able to commit to that, given that I don't live alone and can't lock myself in front of the TV for hours at a time. If each level was chopped up into two or three 20-30 minute chunks, I think it would be a lot more enjoyable.
    Posted on 30 May 19 at 14:49, Edited on 30 May 19 at 14:49 by Legohead 1977
    Plot wise, if that's the right term, the only issue I have is that zombies on the whole are meant to be pretty stupid, and the best aspect of Sniper was the stealth...so this would have been an ideal game choice for me, creeping around, avoiding conflict and trying to be as quiet as possible...the horde driven heat-seeking zombies don't really work for me.

Though that complaint can be aimed at quite a lot of zombie games.
    Legohead 1977
    Posted on 30 May 19 at 14:56
    100% agree. The fact that the zombies know exactly where you are and start coming at you as soon as they spawn makes sense for evil occult zombies, as opposed to biological virus zombies, but it really feels like the latter type of zombie would be a much better fit for Sniper Elite gameplay.
    Posted on 30 May 19 at 15:02
    BetaSigX20 said:
    100% agree. The fact that the zombies know exactly where you are and start coming at you as soon as they spawn makes sense for evil occult zombies, as opposed to biological virus zombies, but it really feels like the latter type of zombie would be a much better fit for Sniper Elite gameplay.
    I think it's a game type I have been looking for for a while...I suppose the Dead Rising zombies were a bit like your standard zombie, but the fact that the numbers never dwindled annoyed me on that one!
    Legohead 1977
  • Sensei NeoSensei Neo1,657,560
    Posted on 30 May 19 at 19:44
    Theres spoilers for this game?.. not a big fan of Zombiess but might play if theres some co-op
  • ShinnizleShinnizle2,011,430
    Posted on 31 May 19 at 13:53
    It's the only way to play this in my opinion.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • TVippyTVippy30,037
    Posted on 31 May 19 at 20:37
    Thanks, BetaSig. :)
    I don't play games very often. :( If you have a close GamerScore, add me! We'll compete. :)
    Posted on 03 June 19 at 10:09
    Shinnizle said:
    It's the only way to play this in my opinion.
    If you are confirming co-op is the only was to play I 100% agree, we only played the first level and had a blast, though I am looking forward to a bigger squad and using the mics...seems like it will be much fun!
    Legohead 1977
  • ShinnizleShinnizle2,011,430
    Posted on 03 June 19 at 23:41
    Yes. Can't say I enjoyed this game much, but it was a least playable in co-op. In single-player, it's simply dreadful.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads