Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Rocket League Developer Psyonix Acquired by Epic Games

AuthorMessage
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 02 May 19 at 10:19
Nothing will change

Please click here to read the story: Rocket League Developer Psyonix Acquired by Epic Games

Credit goes to Cavaliers07 for this story
Billargh
Billargh
Posted on 02 May 19 at 10:33
As someone who only really plays this on Steam now, Epic Games can absolutely get to fuck.
Mr Peanutbubber
Posted on 02 May 19 at 10:38
I'm excited for this. I think Epic can provide Psyonix the funding to rapidly expand the eSports scene while still maintaining creative control. Awesome! rock
neosalad
neosalad
Posted on 02 May 19 at 12:14, Edited on 02 May 19 at 12:14 by neosalad
i only play this on xbox really, but i have it on steam too... but i think this may be a move to possibly give the game away on EPIC store, thuis bringing in people who somehow havent bought the game yet, on Pc atleast, then hope to sell them stuff.. but then if they ever do a sequel to Rocket League it may well be EPIC store exclusive methinks.. on Pc at least... roll
upsonmatthew
upsonmatthew
Posted on 02 May 19 at 12:24
While I'm not a Rocket League player so doesn't effect me what I do fear is that at some point someone like Google, Epic or Amazon is going to buy someone like UBI Soft or Take 2 Interactive someone like that (both have been takeover targets many times) and that would be more upsetting.
Dimmock
Dimmock
Posted on 02 May 19 at 12:55
This bodes poorly.
SSCP - Dimmock is a lot like Veal, an acquired taste. || Zus rocks!
YODA12320
YODA12320
Posted on 02 May 19 at 12:57
Mr Peanutbubber said:
I'm excited for this. I think Epic can provide Psyonix the funding to rapidly expand the eSports scene while still maintaining creative control. Awesome! rock
Ya dude your clueless but thats ok they dont give a fuck about it other than people buying it.
Regards;Yoda12320
Seitzz
Seitzz
Posted on 02 May 19 at 13:12
Crunch time! ;)
Vermigs
Vermigs
Posted on 02 May 19 at 13:29
Mr Peanutbubber said:
I don't have the game so I don't have a horse in this race but given Epic's latest track record of buying exclusives I'm not holding my breath. Vague terms like "uncertain future" does not bode well. Even MS knew not to pull Minecraft from other storefronts, can we say that Epic knows better than to completely pull it from Steam? My gut says no, no they do not.
Clockwerks
Clockwerks
Posted on 02 May 19 at 14:01
Yeah, I can't say I'm a fan of this.

I obviously play on Xbox, so the exclusivity thing doesn't impact me or most people in this community. But, it's this practice that Epic is becoming infamous for which is the issue.

Psyonix was doing an amazing job on their own supporting their game and keeping people interested in it. I'm surprised they took this deal.
Skanker irl
Skanker irl
Posted on 02 May 19 at 14:05
This sucks.
Basileus
Basileus
Posted on 02 May 19 at 14:12, Edited on 02 May 19 at 14:12 by Basileus
I didn' really follow all the fuzz about Epic that PC gamers complain about... Can someone please explain to me why Epic for some seems to be the spawn of Satan? shock
kris37
kris37
Posted on 02 May 19 at 14:23
Steam charges 30% epic charges 12% for developers to sell their games 18 % sounds like nothing but whoul here wouldn't want 18% more money out of whatever job they do
romo7816
romo7816
Posted on 02 May 19 at 14:36
RIP to Rocket League, it was fun while it lasted. With any big company takeover it spells doom for the game. Epic will milk it even more and put every new update behind some sort of paywall until the user base declines.
Rivalor
Rivalor
Posted on 02 May 19 at 17:31
Steam has exclusives and you dont hear a word....Epic does it and people lose their minds. ok
eayragt
eayragt
Posted on 02 May 19 at 17:37
romo7816 said:
RIP to Rocket League, it was fun while it lasted. With any big company takeover it spells doom for the game. Epic will milk it even more and put every new update behind some sort of paywall until the user base declines.
Yeah, because they put Fortnite updates behind a pay wall, killing the game, didn't they? facepalm
Say everything with a smile
Mr Peanutbubber
Posted on 02 May 19 at 17:45
YODA12320 said:
Mr Peanutbubber said:
Ya dude your clueless but thats ok they dont give a fuck about it other than people buying it.
What?! Are you telling me a publisher's job is to make money? Holy shit!

Go fuck yourself. laugh
jxlive021
jxlive021
Posted on 02 May 19 at 18:31, Edited on 02 May 19 at 18:34 by jxlive021
the roadmap of EPIC (more features will be added in the near future) is positively in my opion.

although i do not play pc games
ClaytThaGreat
ClaytThaGreat
Posted on 03 May 19 at 02:49
Rocket League already kinda sucks as it is. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fun game, but the crates you unlock in the online can only be opened with keys which require real money to purchase, so... not really sure how it can get much worse?
SweetArkhane
SweetArkhane
Posted on 03 May 19 at 08:29
upsonmatthew said:
While I'm not a Rocket League player so doesn't effect me what I do fear is that at some point someone like Google, Epic or Amazon is going to buy someone like UBI Soft or Take 2 Interactive someone like that (both have been takeover targets many times) and that would be more upsetting.
Neither Ubisoft nor Take 2 would let other buy them, and the last time someone tried to buy a big part of Ubisoft Guillemot was really upset https://d3isma7snj3lcx.cloudfront.net/optim/images/news....jpg
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.