Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Original Claptrap Voice Actor Not Returning For Borderlands 3

• DamnSillyDamnSilly866,435
  • GiinceeGiincee336,279
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:16Permalink
    cry
  • Its DanIts Dan290,423
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:28Permalink
    Let's get riiiight into the news.
  • Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:29Permalink
    Too bad about the behind-the-scenes drama, but honestly, the change in voice is not THAT drastic. If I didn't know it's someone else, I'd probably think it's just Eddings' voice changing during the years.
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan609,253
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:32Permalink
    A typical drama in the industry.
  • CoreScanCoreScan920,534
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:38Permalink
    It's so hard to tell who's - yet again - full of shit. Bitchford even lied about Troy Baker not wanting to reprise his role as Rhys, and Baker later made clear that he was in fact declined by Gearbox. What a fucking joke of a CEO.
  • Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:41Permalink
    Wasn't there a voice actor strike not to long ago? Shouldn't that have been able to stop this drama from happening?

But hey, at least Ashly still has her character who might have been the only tolerable character in all of the 2nd game
    Let's Go!
  • Solo Wing 82Solo Wing 82928,028
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:46, Edited on 06 May 19 at 16:49 by Solo Wing 82Permalink
    finally some news, for some reason im always checking the news on here, its always so quiet in the weekend, I know they have time off too, but I still keep checking for news. waiting for that one article that's gonna trigger something in me to go after a certain game.
  • Posted on 06 May 19 at 16:58Permalink
    Christoph 5782 said:
    Wasn't there a voice actor strike not to long ago? Shouldn't that have been able to stop this drama from happening?

But hey, at least Ashly still has her character who might have been the only tolerable character in all of the 2nd game
    Probably the opposite. I don't think that early Gearbox used union VAs. General rule is all or nothing for using unionized voices. My uneducated educated guess is that he used to be non-union, but now is unionized. I do know that Burch is unionized, so Borderlands 3 is definitely using union VAs, but the controversy with Troy Baker makes me think Randy doesn't want to shell out for voice acting, union or not.

During the strike, many companies were privy to use scabs (non-union voice actors) and wait out the strike than make any big concessions to the union. Public perception of the strike seemed to be largely negative - people got tired of hearing about it pretty quickly (as is tradition). The strike ended with more than a few concessions for the companies too.

Worth noting, if that's the trouble that voice actors have, imagine the trouble that your average video game company employees would have trying to unionize. Not like your Troy Bakers or Nolan Norths or Laura Baileys or Jennifer Hales are dime a dozen.
    I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
  • Posted on 06 May 19 at 17:12Permalink
    Is it just me or does it seem that the site is milking every piece of B3 “news”? Don’t get me wrong, I get that the site is “all about ‘dem clicks” and all by I’m not sure how this is “news”.

Also the obligatory Pitchford is a a tool.
  • Posted on 06 May 19 at 17:39Permalink
    This was known for months already. Really months.
    But Claptrap is cool. No matter who voices him!
  • Posted on 06 May 19 at 17:42Permalink
    It is pretty funny to me that the internet wanted Borderlands 3 for years and now that it's finally happening they are looking for any and every reason to hate it.
  • McQueen101McQueen101617,816
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 17:52Permalink
    Personally I could care less about the voice actors. It's all about game play, guns, and replayability for me.

Sorry that a couple of voice actors lost out on a $200+/hour deal or whatever they would have made.... nah I'm not really.
  • SeitzzSeitzz682,473
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 18:02Permalink
    Unfortunate, I guess that version of his voice will be sealed in those games. I just hope the new guy's voicing isn't bad.
  • TurtzerkerTurtzerker332,096
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 18:37Permalink
    CoreScan said:
    It's so hard to tell who's - yet again - full of shit. Bitchford even lied about Troy Baker not wanting to reprise his role as Rhys, and Baker later made clear that he was in fact declined by Gearbox. What a fucking joke of a CEO.
    Well there are always 3 sides to every story, the truth being the most important side. Having had some firsthand experience in the industry and with Gearbox in particular (I can't go into detail exactly what due to NDA), I can safely assure people here that as much of a tool as RP is, David Eddings was definitely a huge problem with the company, and was terminated as a result. Getting fired at Gearbox is usually really hard to accomplish unless you fucked over a lot of people and were generally insufferable to work with, in addition to not being able to complete your workload...and the stories about Dave in particular are pretty bad. While I like David's voice for Claptrap, his wanting more than double the rate of pay for normal voicework when he has very little experience in that department outside of that one role (he has had 3 other rather underwhelming roles during his career) is mind-boggling. He's no Troy Baker and he needs to start acting like it.

None of this should detract from the fact that Randy is a total dick. Both he and Dave are unlikable people that contributed to this drama in their own respective ways.
  • ElyohElyoh736,574
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 18:56Permalink
    Two unlikeable people battle it out on Twitter. Not very often that happens.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • planting42planting421,330,365
  • CoreScanCoreScan920,534
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 19:30Permalink
    Turtzerker said:
    None of this should detract from the fact that Randy is a total dick.
    Trust me, I know exactly what to think of Pitchford, and there's no doubt to me that this pathetic, lying, undignified laughingstock of a human being would be non-existent in the gaming industry, if it wasn't for the talented and passionate people who develop Borderlands for him; the only successful franchise Gearbox will ever have, and a franchise he has certainly done nothing for - aside from being the Gearbox CEO, playing a Borderlands fan in front of the camera and stealing money from SEGA.
  • Posted on 06 May 19 at 20:04Permalink
    Solo Wing 82 said:
    finally some news, for some reason im always checking the news on here, its always so quiet in the weekend, I know they have time off too, but I still keep checking for news. waiting for that one article that's gonna trigger something in me to go after a certain game.
    I do the same thing! haha. I think the reason I check it so often is that TA doesn't post a horde of stories like other sites, but the majority of articles they do post contain meaty, well-researched material. And because much of it revolves around achievements it feels like they're catering it just for me. It's great.
    Doc, Doc, noose
  • Apache117XApache117X617,717
    Posted on 06 May 19 at 20:17Permalink
    Pitchford might be the most unprofessional CEO I’ve ever seen.
    -APACHE117X-
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.