Genre Discussion: Descenders Forum

A messageboard for all things genres

Descenders Multi-Genre Discussion

Related game: Descenders

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 07 May 19 at 07:09
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
I AM CULLY
I AM CULLY
Posted on 08 May 19 at 15:14
How is this classed as a platformer? I haven't played it yet, but the gameplay I've seen is bike racing/stunts, or have I missed something here?
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 12 May 19 at 11:37
Roguelite platformer!!! So this games falls into the same category as, say, Dead Cells? What the fuck?

Procedurally generated content doesn't always means roguelite.

Also, with roguelite, there's always some carry over progression. Not in this. You just build your rep higher and higher, but rep doesn't do anything except climb a leaderboard. Has zero impact on gameplay.
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
DubstepEdgelord
Posted on 13 May 19 at 21:04
x Mataeus x said:
Roguelite platformer!!! So this games falls into the same category as, say, Dead Cells? What the fuck?

Procedurally generated content doesn't always means roguelite.

Also, with roguelite, there's always some carry over progression. Not in this. You just build your rep higher and higher, but rep doesn't do anything except climb a leaderboard. Has zero impact on gameplay.
The only carry over progression is if you complete a boss stunt 3 times you can get a permanent shortcut to the next area if you want.
DubstepEdgelord
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 17 June 19 at 21:04
Someone make a disagreement already. Literally not a single other place on the internet calls this a platformer, and roguelite is only on the table because our definition of that genre apparently can include anything with the tiniest amount of randomization...
What can change the nature of a man?
Jackimo1999
Jackimo1999
Posted on 18 June 19 at 05:17
Which genre should it be if neither of the ones that it currently has apply?
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 18 June 19 at 06:19
It should be Cycling (like this Lonely Mountains: Downhill Achievements) since that is literally what it is. I've been told that genre is more for the type of cycling found in the Tour De France games for example, but the alternative would be to make a new genre for more extreme sports oriented cycling, which honestly just seems like splitting hairs to me. That would still be a far more logical option than what we currently have, though. Hell, even just tossing it in Action would be more accurate.
What can change the nature of a man?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.