Genre Discussion: For The King Forum

A messageboard for all things genres

For The King Multi-Genre Discussion

Related game: For The King

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 10 May 19 at 03:19
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Information Posted on 10 May 19 at 03:19
BigWiIIieStyIe has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Turn Based needs added
Schinderdiv
Schinderdiv
Posted on 10 May 19 at 05:00
Maybe also Roguelite and Adventure? I'm not too good at defining genres of games as they're so strict on this site but I believe this game features both elements.
Streets Ahead
eohjay
eohjay
Posted on 11 May 19 at 13:36
After spending a few hours on this I'm going to vote for quite a few genres, it's definitely a bit more of a blend than your standard game.

Turn-based, Role playing, Strategy and Roguelite

The vast majority of the gameplay takes place on a hex-grid world map very much like Civilization Revolution. Your units are moved in a turn-based fashion, and you have to manage various resources like Chaos, Favor, Health, Gold, etc.

The individual battles take place in typical turn-based RPG fashion. You characters level up and loot different equipment with different skills, as well as manage an inventory.

Lastly, it's got rogue-lite features in the respect that you'll be starting the game many different times and each time to restart you stat from scratch and the world/dungeons/events are randomized (other than the storyline). It looks like the main campaign, For The King, is only going to be about 5 hours of playtime for a successful run. I'm almost done with Act 2 of 3 on Apprentice and have only played a few hours and reach level 5.

It plays like a short tabletop campaign that you would sit around and play with a group of friends in your basement to pass a couple of nights.
Information Posted on 15 May 19 at 06:16
Ace Phoenyx II has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
I agree it should be Turn-based, Role Playing and Roguelite. Strategy I feel like could be applied to any Turn-Based RPG and is already included in that definition. I personally voted Role Playing but came back to change my vote, not sure why the voting closed less than a week from release.

Its clearly a Turn-based RPG so I don't think anything needs to be discussed regarding that. As for Roguelite, while there are unlockables they aren't direct upgrades to the game, just different choices that can be made while playing, such as different characters.
Information Posted on 15 May 19 at 09:39
Ace Phoenyx II has removed their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
I agree it should be Turn-based, Role Playing and Roguelite. Strategy I feel like could be applied to any Turn-Based RPG and is already included in that definition. I personally voted Role Playing but came back to change my vote, not sure why the voting closed less than a week from release.

Its clearly a Turn-based RPG so I don't think anything needs to be discussed regarding that. As for Roguelite, while there are unlockables they aren't direct upgrades to the game, just different choices that can be made while playing, such as different characters.
Ace#4617
Ace
Posted on 15 May 19 at 09:40
I didn't meant to remove it it double posted on me when I reopened the page by accident. Either way.
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 17 May 19 at 15:31
We believe that while Turn Based fits well, Roguelite does not
Information Posted on 20 July 19 at 12:13
TheMaize has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Should actually be RPG, turnbased, card and board.

Unless definition have changed again, card and board includes tapletop games.

And that's pretty much what this..a tabletop game, with a predefined campaign, that sets you on a random generated tapletopboard. And while there isn't my actual dices in the game. The whole game is based on dicemechanics. Attacks, defense and random event is based on 1-5 dices. And the chance of suceeding a "diceroll" then depends on your stats in the skillcategory you are rolling for.

It's even marketed as a tabletop game.

It IS also marketed as a roguelite. But I agree that it doesn't fit the sites definition, as while your progress makes the next playthrough a easier, it's not a requirement. There is no backtracking or inaccessible places
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 20 July 19 at 12:25
The roguelite definition have changed since I read it last...it doesn't change the fact that the game doesn't fit though
Main objectives are the same in every playthrough, and so are bosses.
While there is permadead, you do have multiple lives thought on every difficulty but the hardest (here you can still earn lives though, even if you start with 0)
KasugaSama
KasugaSama
Posted on 02 August 19 at 19:47
Thanks for the disagreement. We've agreed on Card & Board, and added it to this game. toast
Everything you do is a balloon.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.