Game Discussion: From Dust

Is this game broken in backward compatibility?

• xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,577,122
    Posted on 11 May 19 at 01:16
    I was just replaying the game, and I noticed the villagers would often get stuck on because they try to take a near straight line path between locations, instead of the longer side path (noticeable on the campaign level where the volcano is forming in the middle of the sea). I wrote this off as an issue with the longer path I formed being too jagged, but then I was playing the challenges and noted this was occurring in instances the developers had created a path with expected behavior. For instance: in the challenge level "Explosions", a villager starts on a winding path with the knowledge or fire prevention, and you are supposed to use the explosive trees to divert lava coming down a mountain long enough for him to run the winding path back to the village. However, he doesn't move, since he wants to head straight to the village instead of on the winding path, making the level impossible. Similar issues also occur on the challenges "Guardian Angel" and "Canyoning", at the least.

So is there some sort of AI path finding error in the backwards compatible version of this game? Can anyone else attest to this issue, or compare with a copy of the game running on an actual 360?
  • xBrayskixBrayski682,298
    Posted on 14 May 19 at 00:46
    On the thousand sources level i can't for the life of me get the totem surrounded by desert trees i can get 4/5 villagers but the 5th refuses and screams for help facepalm
    Posted on 14 May 19 at 01:08
    Yeah, I had to really mess with that area to get him to finally reach the totem. Lots of sand and water until something randomly worked.
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 17:13
    Did you guys encounter the problem again on the level Waves? I have just encountered it again for some reason, I'm stuck at 3/5 guys on the far right totem. It's super frustrating. I'm not really sure what else to do to fix it
  • Posted on 04 October 19 at 17:04
    Please for the love of god, I've got the same Thousand Sources glitch. I've got 100% vegetation and everything and I've been beating my head against this glitch for the past 3 hours. Somebody please help.
  • SPARTdanSPARTdan99,386
    Posted on 15 December 19 at 13:14
    Game is definitely broken. I can’t do the ‘Canyoning’ challenge because the level starts and the idiot carrying the kite just stands there screaming for a path.
  • ChristianPfChristianPf791,470
    Posted on 26 January 20 at 21:48
    I have the same problem with the challenge 'Sacrifice'. Everything works fine until the villager that is supposed to pick up the kite should step onto the island where it is. He just stops walking and screams for help. I doubled the islands area with dirt and he still refuses to move. When I nearly drown him and immediatly fill it back up it sometimes works. But by then so much time has been wasted that he will not make it back before the wave arrives.
    If you cannot afford to do it right check if you can afford to do it wrong.
  • Posted on 13 August 20 at 23:15
    I came here because I was stuck on Waves and then I tried adding a whole bunch of earth which finally made the guy "unstuck." I think some of us were trying to make logical paths or fixes, but i think its more just throwing a lot of dirt or water on the villagers/area until they fix themselves. Hope this helps future readers
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce2,142,796
    Posted on 23 November 20 at 15:47
    Looking at doing this soon. Has anyone with these issues loaded up their BC save on 360 to see if it works? Or does the whole game potentially need doing on the 360 to avoid these issues?
    @ChewieOnIce | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
    Posted on 23 November 20 at 16:37
    ChewieOnIce said:
    Looking at doing this soon. Has anyone with these issues loaded up their BC save on 360 to see if it works? Or does the whole game potentially need doing on the 360 to avoid these issues?
    If you have access to an Xbox 360, just do the entire game on that. While you can still beat (and even 100%) the campaign on the BC emulation, the game is going to make some frustrating pathing decisions for the villagers. It will simply be a more enjoyable experience on the older console.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce2,142,796
    Posted on 23 November 20 at 17:10
    xPut Name Herex said:
    ChewieOnIce said:
    If you have access to an Xbox 360, just do the entire game on that. While you can still beat (and even 100%) the campaign on the BC emulation, the game is going to make some frustrating pathing decisions for the villagers. It will simply be a more enjoyable experience on the older console.
    Cool thanks, I’ll do that!
    @ChewieOnIce | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • coipcoip307,203
    Posted on 31 July 22 at 19:51
    I just learned this game existed and am interested in playing it because I see it is made by the same guy that did Another World--one of my all-time favorites. However, I don't have an Xbox 360 and these comments above make it sound like the game is unplayable in backwards compatibility mode (I have an Xbox One and a Series X). How bad is it? Is it going to be a total waste of $15 to buy this an try to play it?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads