Game Discussion: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Forum

How are you guys finding the end-game grind?

AuthorMessage
Xboxoholic
262,734
Xboxoholic
Posted on 15 May 19 at 13:25
I think the strategy is to summon whenever his overdrive is full. If Zanmato hits your party, it's game over immediately because it removes autolife as well. 68 hours is a good time though. I'm on 90 now, all that's left is Dark Yojimbo, Penance the sphere grids and tat like the Jecht spheres.
Sighris
1,404,856
Sighris
Posted on 15 May 19 at 14:42
I personally did it with every attack because wakizashi can hit entire party
Moo
Za Pantsupati
415,330
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 16 May 19 at 17:04, Edited on 16 May 19 at 17:09 by Za Pantsupati
Ravenous IE said:
The sphere grid. Ugh, I used my main 3 characters, Wakka, Tidus and Auron leveled all stats minus Luck and Magic. Luck was at 130 for each just to kill the Dark Aeons. Once they were all killed, I bought clear spheres from the Monster Arena and got rid of all the luck spheres to lower the grind. Just my opinion to quicken the grind.
This is a great call. I only added 15 luck nodes but I was really not looking forward to killing the earth eater 70 times or whatever it would be. I think I'll only bother with Wakka and Tidus for luck and then wipe the luck nodes after I beat all the bosses. So much faster just to kill that bird for accuracy or whatever it drops.
Xboxoholic
262,734
Xboxoholic
Posted on 16 May 19 at 19:52, Edited on 17 May 19 at 06:45 by Xboxoholic
I found a way to cheese Dark Yojimbo that doesn't take a crazy amount of time and requires no luck grinding.

TL;DR, have Tidus, Yuna and Wakka in your party. Ideally have 255 attack on Tidus and Wakka and 200+agility on all 3. Make sure Tidus has Slice and Dice and Wakka has Attack Reels. Equip both with a break damage limit weapon (doesn't have to be a celestial although it speeds things up, you can add break damage limit yourself with 60 dark matters). Equip all 3 with auto-haste and stoneproof gear and teach everybody autolife. Set overdrive mode to comrade for everybody.

Before the first battle, make sure somebody in the main party has first strike or DY can OHKO you immediately. Cast autolife on everybody immediately, and maintain this throughout the entire battle. As soon as autolife drops, cast it again.

You basically absorb Yojimbo's hits like this until your overdrive gauge is full. As long as you have autolife active, he cannot give you a game over. When the overdrive gauge is full for Tidus or Wakka, use their overdrives. When Yuna's is full, use entrust to give her overdrive to Tidus or Wakka.

When Yojimbo is about to use Zanmato, summon an aeon (preferably grand summon if you can for a free hit - it's always worth summoning Yojimbo at this point to see if you can get a Zanmato). If an aeon does not take the Zanmato hit, you will die have have to start from the beginning of all 5 battles.

Rinse and repeat. Took me about an hour to win all 5 battles like this. Obviously touch the save sphere in between battles to restore yourself and your aeons.
Paul Laserbeam
1,399,287
Paul Laserbeam
Posted on 17 May 19 at 03:54
are you guys not just using Zanmato for dark aeons? that's what i'm doing.
Sighris
1,404,856
Sighris
Posted on 17 May 19 at 04:33
Paul Laserbeam said:
are you guys not just using Zanmato for dark aeons? that's what i'm doing.
We are specifically talking about dark Yojimbo...
Moo
Paul Laserbeam
1,399,287
Paul Laserbeam
Posted on 17 May 19 at 20:54, Edited on 17 May 19 at 21:03 by Paul Laserbeam
Sighris said:
Paul Laserbeam said:
are you guys not just using Zanmato for dark aeons? that's what i'm doing.
We are specifically talking about dark Yojimbo...
doesn't matter, same strat.

you can force zanmato over and over again
Xboxoholic
262,734
Xboxoholic
Posted on 17 May 19 at 22:07
Paul Laserbeam said:
Sighris said:
Paul Laserbeam said:
are you guys not just using Zanmato for dark aeons? that's what i'm doing.
We are specifically talking about dark Yojimbo...
doesn't matter, same strat.

you can force zanmato over and over again
As far as I'm aware, without abusing RNG, you can max out Zanmato at 75% chance (though this takes dozens of hours of grinding Yojimbo's affinity value). 0.75^5 gives you a 24% chance of successfully Zanmatoing all 5 fights. Not great odds, and the time it takes to get to 75% each time (grinding gil and affinity) would probs take longer than doing the method I mentioned above. Is there a way to RNG it though? That'd be very cool!
C3LLDW3LLER
450,511
C3LLDW3LLER
Posted on 18 May 19 at 22:40
I’ve never had Yojimbo use Zanmato yet, how do you get him to do it? When can you start taking on the dark aeon’s?
Xboxoholic
262,734
Xboxoholic
Posted on 18 May 19 at 22:47, Edited on 21 May 19 at 14:43 by Xboxoholic
The mechanics of Zanmato are detailed nicely here: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Zanmato_(ability)

In short, there are some. RNG values you can do something about and some that you can't. You can increase the chance of Zanmato by using Yojimbo often in battle (use him to actually defeat enemies) to increase his affinity. His affinity decreases if he dies, you dismiss him immediately after summoning or if you pay him 1 or 0 gil.

You can also increase the chance of Zanmato by paying more gil (of course) and having a full overdrive gauge. If you use Yojimbo every few battles from first getting him, you can get regular Zanmatos just by paying a few thousand gil.

Different DAs become available at different times, but when you get the airship, they'll all be available.
C3LLDW3LLER
450,511
C3LLDW3LLER
Posted on 20 May 19 at 15:38
That link doesn’t work? 404 error.
Za Pantsupati
415,330
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 20 May 19 at 17:58, Edited on 20 May 19 at 18:06 by Za Pantsupati
I only used Yojimbo once, against Penance, and got Zanmato first try! Used Yuna's Grand Summon overdrive and bribed him with all the money I had (~700k). I beat everything else in the game just by getting good stats with Tidus, Wakka, Auron, and Yuna. Didn't bother with any other characters. Yuna I just used to strategically summon aeons to tank overdrives for certain bosses, and for the Pain method for the Greater Sphere enemy. If she wasn't doing one of those things, she was casting Auto-Life or Curaga while Tidus and Wakka doled out damage.

I've only got two characters left to max in my sphere grid and I'm done with X. I should land at about 86 hours, which seems extremely good for it being my first time with the game. Going to chalk that up to my OCD planning. Spent a lot of hours at work making sure I had a good strategy for everything in the game and writing my guide for XBA.

Gonna take a break and knock out some Kemco games before diving into X-2.
Xboxoholic
262,734
Xboxoholic
Posted on 21 May 19 at 14:44
C3LLDW3LLER said:
That link doesn’t work? 404 error.
Sorry, you have to type in the ) manually at the end for some reason.

Za Pantsupati said:
I only used Yojimbo once, against Penance, and got Zanmato first try! Used Yuna's Grand Summon overdrive and bribed him with all the money I had (~700k). I beat everything else in the game just by getting good stats with Tidus, Wakka, Auron, and Yuna. Didn't bother with any other characters. Yuna I just used to strategically summon aeons to tank overdrives for certain bosses, and for the Pain method for the Greater Sphere enemy. If she wasn't doing one of those things, she was casting Auto-Life or Curaga while Tidus and Wakka doled out damage.

I've only got two characters left to max in my sphere grid and I'm done with X. I should land at about 86 hours, which seems extremely good for it being my first time with the game. Going to chalk that up to my OCD planning. Spent a lot of hours at work making sure I had a good strategy for everything in the game and writing my guide for XBA.

Gonna take a break and knock out some Kemco games before diving into X-2.
86 hours is absolutely incredible for your first time through, well done man. This is probably my 6th or 7th run through the game and I'm on 100 already and still have the sphere grids to do. laugh
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 25 June 19 at 15:08
I'm at 132 hours right now and almost done Rikku sphere grid. I have all characters with 255 in all stats including luck... that earth eater grind is no joke.

Just have dark yojimbo, bahamut, anima and penance on top of a few rikku nodes, then I'm done ffx.

In ffx2, I have the mascot dress sphere and just setting everything up for Trema.
Za Pantsupati
415,330
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 25 June 19 at 17:29, Edited on 25 June 19 at 17:30 by Za Pantsupati
I finally started X-2 this weekend. Took a month off to finish Happy Dungeons, the new Borderlands 2 DLC, and knock out four Kemco games - plus I played a crapton of Overwatch.

Once again I feel like I'm making good progress though, I've nearly finished Chapter 1 in only six hours (~23% completion). I'm guessing the chapters get more dense with direct story related stuff as it goes on. Cool game though, I can see how this influenced the FF13 battle system.
Xboxoholic
262,734
Xboxoholic
Posted on 26 June 19 at 21:51
Ostrowidzki1989 said:
I'm at 132 hours right now and almost done Rikku sphere grid. I have all characters with 255 in all stats including luck... that earth eater grind is no joke.

Just have dark yojimbo, bahamut, anima and penance on top of a few rikku nodes, then I'm done ffx.

In ffx2, I have the mascot dress sphere and just setting everything up for Trema.
Sweet Jesus, that's amazing. 132 hours for 255 all stats is awesome. I haven't even started X-2 yet. Well, I played like 10 minutes after finishing X and thought "fuck this".
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 28 June 19 at 03:42
Xboxoholic said:
Ostrowidzki1989 said:
I'm at 132 hours right now and almost done Rikku sphere grid. I have all characters with 255 in all stats including luck... that earth eater grind is no joke.

Just have dark yojimbo, bahamut, anima and penance on top of a few rikku nodes, then I'm done ffx.

In ffx2, I have the mascot dress sphere and just setting everything up for Trema.
Sweet Jesus, that's amazing. 132 hours for 255 all stats is awesome. I haven't even started X-2 yet. Well, I played like 10 minutes after finishing X and thought "fuck this".
Yeah, finished with 255 in all skills, 23k hp and everyone except rikku has ribbon armour with all celestials completely upgraded.

Finished at 133 hours, but that could have been significantly lower... but that damn chocobo race for 0:0.0 really messed me up. Spent 8 hours of trying and probably like 10 hours of walk away irritated. The open 5 chests added 2 hours, but Lightning bolts only took like 30 minutes for me.

I was considering making all characters with 99,999 hp and break hp limit armour... but I decided there's absolutely no point. My maxed out luck I suppose made dark yojimbo really easy.


Right now, I'm maxed my mascot dressphere on yrp and they're level 99, but I'm considering ignoring Trema this time and going into ng+ to get a few doubles of some good equipment and an invincible item since I missed it this playthrough...
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 04 July 19 at 19:24
So, just finished off ffx2 and it took a grand total of 71 hours for all achievements, then an additional 4 hours to max all dress spheres except the special ones and I didn't bother with blue bullets too much since over souled mega tonberry is worse than Trema in my opinion. Gun mages surviving cry in the night is not something I care to do...
Za Pantsupati
415,330
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 15 July 19 at 02:39
I finished up X-2 at 52h for campaign + 10h for Last Mission.

Glad to be done with these though I did really enjoy both of them. Did not expect to like X-2 much so that was a pleasant surprise.
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 04 August 19 at 06:10
132 hours to max all stats on all characters at 255 in ffx.
75 hours to max all dress spheres and all achievements in ffx2.
14 hours to max dark knight and gun mage along with getting a bunch of the best equipment in the game.

Truly the highlight of the entire final fantasy series.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.