Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Headset Review: The Audeze Mobius is a NASA-Infused Super Speaker

• ShinnizleShinnizle1,779,204
    Posted on 17 May 19 at 19:01, Edited on 17 May 19 at 19:01 by Shinnizle
    I know it's a very unpopular opinion, but I've never been a big fan of headphones for gaming to be honest, especially for longer play sessions. They feel heavy and constricting after a while, and my ears become so sweaty and warm that it's not comfortable. Plus, I feel like it's easier to understand people talking with an earpiece, as the voices are heard through it,  and the game audio is heard through other means (TV, sound bar, external speakers, whatever).
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Resting LionResting Lion298,171
    Posted on 17 May 19 at 19:09, Edited on 17 May 19 at 19:10 by Resting Lion
    Audeze Mobius, the name sounds like something from the Roman Empire
  • Posted on 17 May 19 at 20:02
    Interesting, they sound absolutely amazing. I never use a headset and I’m so cheap I can’t let myself pull the trigger on a $20 pair of headphones let alone $400. Maybe if I could try them out somewhere and see what I’m missing but until then the sound on my TV works well enough for me.
  • KodingKoding1,011,318
    Posted on 17 May 19 at 20:06
    Yikes...$400. I'm sure these are nice and all but I could never drop that much on a set of headphones. Guess I'll just have to keep using my RIG 800LX's.
    61 LEGO game completions on 6 different platforms across TA, TT, and TSA! Over 3,300 achievements/trophies earned in LEGO games!
  • Chunkeh MunkehChunkeh Munkeh3,726,807
    Posted on 17 May 19 at 20:10
    Koding said:
    Yikes...$400. I'm sure these are nice and all but I could never drop that much on a set of headphones. Guess I'll just have to keep using my RIG 800LX's.
    Another RIG 800LX user...represent!!!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 May 19 at 20:11
    I also got the turtlebeach stealth 700. I sometimes use it for more then 8 hours straight at night times and it doesn't bother me. I like how you get the sound through xbox channel, and bluetooth from my pc with whatever I got on , at the same time.
    during the day I enjoy the dolby atmos setup, its only 5.2.2 with 2 downfiring speakers on the wall, but sound quality is important to me, and ill only be upgrading in the future, this sounds like a good upgrade
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead709,748
    Posted on 17 May 19 at 23:34
    For that price I would expect them to be wireless.

Once you have gone wireless you cannot go back;
    1. You can take a break, put yourself on mute, but still stay in the conversation.
    2. When your controller batteries die you can tell your teammates.
    3. Even a chat cable has been torn from it’s socket on some occasions.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 00:03, Edited on 18 May 19 at 00:04 by CodeMonkeysGuy
    I'm still living that HyperX Cloud II life. Still using it years on with much less issues and much higher quality than I got from similarly priced Turtle Beaches.

Silver-accented pair is currently $92.70 on Amazon and the red-accented pair is $88.99. Braided cable, aluminium construction (none of that plastic assembly crap). Can't recommend the headset enough for the price-point. They are wired, which is a con for some (wireless crap can bite me, frankly) but they're comfortable (like, wear them all day and not even notice them comfortable), respectable audio quality (obviously nothing audiophile tier but better than you might expect), works with most any device (PC, the three mainline consoles, most mobile devices). When it finally does give out, I will buy another pair. With one product, Kingston made a shill out of me.
    I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
  • ElyohElyoh1,039,340
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 01:05, Edited on 18 May 19 at 01:07 by Elyoh
    ^ I have HyperX as well, I don't know what model but it has all the features you mentioned, and I love them. Most importantly for me they're incredibly comfortable, I was very hesitant against over the ear headphones as they had always got uncomfortable after short periods of time but I took a stab with these and haven't looked back.

Wireless has never appealed to me, I still use wired mice to make that clear laugh

Edit: I googled the model you mentioned and they're definitely that, in red.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • te5s3raktte5s3rakt519,258
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 01:06
    Here’s hoping the next gen Xbox has Bluetooth so it’ll be so much easier getting fully wireless headsets for the console.
    Tried a few Xbox wireless headsets and nothing but trouble with my mesh router at home.
    A shame really, the Xbox headset is my last wired device, yet almost the most used :(
  • Living LegendsLiving Legends1,090,361
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 03:07
    CodeMonkeysGuy said:
    I'm still living that HyperX Cloud II life. Still using it years on with much less issues and much higher quality than I got from similarly priced Turtle Beaches.

Silver-accented pair is currently $92.70 on Amazon and the red-accented pair is $88.99. Braided cable, aluminium construction (none of that plastic assembly crap). Can't recommend the headset enough for the price-point. They are wired, which is a con for some (wireless crap can bite me, frankly) but they're comfortable (like, wear them all day and not even notice them comfortable), respectable audio quality (obviously nothing audiophile tier but better than you might expect), works with most any device (PC, the three mainline consoles, most mobile devices). When it finally does give out, I will buy another pair. With one product, Kingston made a shill out of me.
    For a hundred dollars, this headset is a steal. They are really great headsets that are economically priced and work great.

I soul buy this pair of headset in the future.maybe around Christmas time. If gaming is a hobby you do consistently and long periods than an investment in your hobby is needed. It's like buying cheap parts for your daily driver vehicle. You only get the bare minimum
  • zDrUnKeNMoNkEyzzDrUnKeNMoNkEyz1,811,064
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 05:16
    And I thought mine were expensive lol but I absolutely adore my Gen3 Astro A50s .wouldnt trade em for nothing. Well except whatever new version eventually comes out for the next Xbox toast
    Matthew
  • SpeleoFoolSpeleoFool1,886,436
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 06:19
    Welcome to the world of audiophile grade sound, Mark.

I haven’t heard the Mobius, but I’m very familiar with Audeze by reputation. It’s a brand that garners respect in the audiophile community. Your review confirms what I had already assumed when I first saw that Audeze had a gaming headset: that the sound quality stands apart from everything we’re used to hearing from console headsets.

I spent most of 2018 exploring high end headphones—from “mid-fi” to “summit-fi.” I’ve written several blogs on the subject here at TA.

I personally prefer pairing audiophile headphones with a mic rather than going the “gaming headset” route. Products marketed towards gamers tend to have compromises. Just look at the price tag of Mobius compared to Audeze’s flagships—the gaming headset is not the best they have to offer. Not by a long shot.

FWIW, quality gains per cost climb a steep curve of diminishing returns. $400 for Mobius seems like a good price point. You can get some mighty fine headphones in that range.

I am personally a fan of the AKG 7xx from “Drop” (formerly Massdrop). They are exceedingly comfortable and both build and sound quality are better at $200 than anything I’ve used from the usual gaming headset companies (I retired my TB Elite 800X after the plastic broke on one of my ear cups).

If you’re willing to pay for quality, I’m a huge fan of the Focal house sound. I recently played through the Win10 stack of Hellblade with Focal Elex ($700) running through an Aune X1S DAC/Amp and the sound was sublime. You hear Senua speaking in front of you, but her voices come from inside your head and sound as clear as someone speaking softly directly in your ear. I highly doubt the Mobius is quite so refined.

Moving up the chain, I’d pit Focal Elegia and Stellia against any headphones on the planet. Stellia is so good it defies description. Out of a stereo recording it can reproduce a fuzzy bass background behind razor sharp vocals and instruments, each clearly positioned in their own 3D space (in audiophile world this is called “imaging,” and Stellia is better than you’d believe).

It’s a shame that audio has catered to convenience for so long that most people have no idea what quality audio is like or how good it can get. I suspect with Mobius you got a taste. But there’s more. So much more.
  • FailedSeppukuFailedSeppuku1,615,555
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 09:11
    came across like they gave you a set of Canyonero headphones, but i agree a good headset will set you apart, no point having a 4K TV, Xbox One X, Pro controller and a £20 Turtle Beach Recon headset.

I have RIG 800X and recommend them, my mate has the CloudX Alpha II and swears by them, but wireless forever !
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76743,879
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 09:25, Edited on 19 May 19 at 08:56 by SilentJay76
    I'm using a pair of Extreme/Otone One-Eighties (for my 360 and music) and Turtle Beach EarForce XO ONE, which are by far the best two headphones I've owned. Hardly ever play without them these days - it does make a huge difference, even in a quiet room.

But even the "expensive" One-Eighties were only about €70. (RRP around €200.) The Turtle Beach set is pretty cheap (€50) and feels a bit cheap, but the sound quality is fantastic (plugged into the controller,) and they're light and comfortable enough even for long sessions. No sweaty ears.

I'd never consider paying anywhere near €400 for a pair of headphones. (Heck, that's what I payed for the One X console!) But I'm sure the price for decent 3D headphones will come down, like it does for everything (except high-end smartphones, which are getting more and more ridiculously expensive.)
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 15:12
    I got a pair of Sennheisers, very good headphones.
  • DeceptiveTenDeceptiveTen1,217,336
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 16:41, Edited on 18 May 19 at 16:53 by DeceptiveTen
    Koding said:
    Yes Rig 800LX are nice, I have them. They're light weight and you don't get sweaty ears I have used them for 15 plus hour and you don't even know you have them on. The sound is great.

I use to buy Turtle Beach but they seem to be going down hill, They seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper but the price stays the same I bought the stealth 700 and the volume couldn't be turned down I cant tell you how they feel as I could not use them as It would blow out your ear drums need less to say I sent them back and bought Rig 800 LX and for the price I cant complain
    deceptiveten
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 18:30
    For this kind of money I’d rather get an Oculus Quest instead but I know people regularly spend hundreds and thousands on these, to listen to music.
  • Posted on 19 May 19 at 07:59
    I'm just hoping next gen the next xbox uses bluetooth. I'm sick to death on the limited availability of different headsets because of the current setup.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.