Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

RAGE 2 Paradoxically Rises and Falls At Once

  • TuschiTuschi1,367,532
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 13:10
    As someone who's obsessed with completing the locations I come across I'm having a blast with what the game awards you with. The upgrading is super up my alley.
  • KJer25KJer25947,314
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 13:31
    The truth is, not every "open world game" has to last 80 hours. We're in this mindset now that games have to last X amount of hours to warrant a $60 purchase. A lot of the reviews I have seen on this game are complaining about how short the game actually is. Fun takes priority for me, as I'm playing A Plague Tale right now, and having a blast with its "short" 15 hour campaign," and plan on jumping into Rage 2 very soon. All games are repetitive to some point, and Rage is no different. But if I'm having fun while traversing the colorful wasteland, I have no problem picking this game up for $60, even if its just a short but sweet 10-15 hour romp.
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 13:44
    I predict this hits game pass within 1 year
  • XwolfanXXwolfanX848,956
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 14:21
    KJer25 said:
    The truth is, not every {#}open world game{#} has to last 80 hours. We're in this mindset now that games have to last X amount of hours to warrant a $60 purchase. A lot of the reviews I have seen on this game are complaining about how short the game actually is. Fun takes priority for me, as I'm playing A Plague Tale right now, and having a blast with its {#}short{#} 15 hour campaign,{#} and plan on jumping into Rage 2 very soon. All games are repetitive to some point, and Rage is no different. But if I'm having fun while traversing the colorful wasteland, I have no problem picking this game up for $60, even if its just a short but sweet 10-15 hour romp.
    Plz m8, we are not fool, don't try to justify this game, the fact that is short (15/20hr long) means only one thing, lazy development, plus Bethesda is well known to make longer games, to be honest, I was hoping this game was like the first one, same ambiance, and atmosphere, but they decide something completely different (, borderland-doom wannabe) they fail to deliver, now 60$ for a game that is only 20hr max game nowadays is a ripoff.

    as the other person mentioned, I'll wait for this to go 15$ or game pass add on.
    drive and chill
  • V3ntilatorV3ntilator223,768
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 14:28
    K1NG ARTHUR III said:
    I predict this hits game pass within 1 year
    I predict within 6 months.
  • Dibbs93Dibbs931,141,664
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 14:29
    XwolfanX said:
    KJer25 said:
    The truth is, not every {#}open world game{#} has to last 80 hours. We're in this mindset now that games have to last X amount of hours to warrant a $60 purchase. A lot of the reviews I have seen on this game are complaining about how short the game actually is. Fun takes priority for me, as I'm playing A Plague Tale right now, and having a blast with its {#}short{#} 15 hour campaign,{#} and plan on jumping into Rage 2 very soon. All games are repetitive to some point, and Rage is no different. But if I'm having fun while traversing the colorful wasteland, I have no problem picking this game up for $60, even if its just a short but sweet 10-15 hour romp.
    Plz m8, we are not fool, don't try to justify this game, the fact that is short (15/20hr long) means only one thing, lazy development, plus Bethesda is well known to make longer games, to be honest, I was hoping this game was like the first one, same ambiance, and atmosphere, but they decide something completely different (, borderland-doom wannabe) they fail to deliver, now 60$ for a game that is only 20hr max game nowadays is a ripoff.

    as the other person mentioned, I'll wait for this to go 15$ or game pass add on.
    I would still rather play a short game that I enjoy playing every minute that play a game that takes over double the time and starts to bore the hell out of me part way through and costs the same price
  • pezboybenpezboyben1,070,193
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 14:59
    I'm tired of games that are nothing like their prequels. I loved Rage, this seems nothing like it at all. This happened to me with the recent Prey reboot, I wanted a Prey 2 not some totally different game. Pick another damn name and I might be fine with the game lol. I know that is stupid but it is how I feel.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 18 May 19 at 15:23
    pezboyben said:
    I'm tired of games that are nothing like their prequels. I loved Rage, this seems nothing like it at all. This happened to me with the recent Prey reboot, I wanted a Prey 2 not some totally different game. Pick another damn name and I might be fine with the game lol. I know that is stupid but it is how I feel.
    I kind of have to agree. To me it all started with saints row. I loved the first, the second was alright, but the 3rd and afterwards just went to much over the top.

    Im still gonna get this game soon, but not for the full price
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 16:12
    pezboyben said:
    I'm tired of games that are nothing like their prequels. I loved Rage, this seems nothing like it at all. This happened to me with the recent Prey reboot, I wanted a Prey 2 not some totally different game. Pick another damn name and I might be fine with the game lol. I know that is stupid but it is how I feel.
    this is similar to the argument ppl had with GhostRecon and Division. I partially agree with you however also think the gaming landscape has alot to do with it. most ppl seemed to hate GhostRecon (wildlands) cause it wasnt like past ghost recons. i agree with that but also see how it was trying to improve upon Division.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 18 May 19 at 16:22
    KJer25 said:
    The truth is, not every {#}open world game{#} has to last 80 hours. We're in this mindset now that games have to last X amount of hours to warrant a $60 purchase. A lot of the reviews I have seen on this game are complaining about how short the game actually is. Fun takes priority for me, as I'm playing A Plague Tale right now, and having a blast with its {#}short{#} 15 hour campaign,{#} and plan on jumping into Rage 2 very soon. All games are repetitive to some point, and Rage is no different. But if I'm having fun while traversing the colorful wasteland, I have no problem picking this game up for $60, even if its just a short but sweet 10-15 hour romp.
    100% agree with you. I remember watching NoClip interview with Hugo Martin about the development of Doom 2016 and how they put fun in the first place, literally saying "if it was not fun, we threw it away", and that's how I feel about Rage 2. The core of this game is amazing, the abilities and combat never got old for me and I enjoyed the open world, mainly because most of the locations were uniquely designed so I never had a feeling of "hey, I've seen this cluster of buildings already". The world is beautiful, you can feel the scorching heat in the desert area and the fog in the swamp area. There's an enemy encounter every 10 seconds on the road so you never run out of things to kill. It is absolutely a simple game, but we NEED games like this. I'm starting to grow tired of an endless stream of narrative-driven games that stop you every 5 minutes so you can experience a dialogue, a cutscene or watch NPCs do much cooler shit than you do. In Rage 2, I feel like I'm playing a videogame.
  • DeceptiveTenDeceptiveTen1,217,327
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 16:34
    Haven't started it yet. But I'll way in later
    deceptiveten
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 16:40
    What’s the difficulty like? I watched a stream of this and the guy said unless you’re playing the hardest mode it’s pretty easy. I know Avalanche Studios also did Mad Max, clearing the map and driving seemed similar, do they feel the same if you’ve played both games or is it definitely more of Doom feel?
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 17:00, Edited on 18 May 19 at 17:01 by GordonDogKing
    pezboyben said:
    I'm tired of games that are nothing like their prequels. I loved Rage, this seems nothing like it at all. This happened to me with the recent Prey reboot, I wanted a Prey 2 not some totally different game. Pick another damn name and I might be fine with the game lol. I know that is stupid but it is how I feel.
    I agree, and feel that Fallout 76 would be in the same category. I have not bought 76, Rage II or the new Prey for exactly those reasons. I'm sure I will when the price is down 60-75% though. With a few notable exceptions, developers and publishers seem to think change is needed and maybe they are right. It will be interesting what Borderlands 3 "feels" like, as I loved all three predecessors.
    Gordon Bennett (yeah, that's my real name [some older Brits would understand that])
  • The SCHWARTZ 00The SCHWARTZ 001,101,705
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 17:06
    Put me in the camp of "no more 80 hour open worlds". I think most people are burned out on those types of games and are looking for more linear, cohesive, focused narratives. Its why games like Dragon Age Origins and the original Masa Effect trilogy were vastly superior to their next gen counterparts. I had no problems paying $60 for those games back then, and id gladly throw the same amount of money at a similar game in 2019.
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 17:09
    HawkeyeBarry20 said:
    What’s the difficulty like? I watched a stream of this and the guy said unless you’re playing the hardest mode it’s pretty easy. I know Avalanche Studios also did Mad Max, clearing the map and driving seemed similar, do they feel the same if you’ve played both games or is it definitely more of Doom feel?
    Driving in Mad Max is better and more of a focus. In Rage 2 though there are vehicle activities, they are few and far between. Mostly you drive to get from shooty place to shooty place. laugh
  • MC PHILABUSTAMC PHILABUSTA1,702,660
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 18:02
    What's the point of this article ? Why not just review it ....seems not needed is all.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 18 May 19 at 18:03, Edited on 18 May 19 at 19:33 by
    GordonDogKing said:
    pezboyben said:
    I'm tired of games that are nothing like their prequels. I loved Rage, this seems nothing like it at all. This happened to me with the recent Prey reboot, I wanted a Prey 2 not some totally different game. Pick another damn name and I might be fine with the game lol. I know that is stupid but it is how I feel.
    I agree, and feel that Fallout 76 would be in the same category. I have not bought 76, Rage II or the new Prey for exactly those reasons. I'm sure I will when the price is down 60-75% though. With a few notable exceptions, developers and publishers seem to think change is needed and maybe they are right. It will be interesting what Borderlands 3 "feels" like, as I loved all three predecessors.
    But Prey is not Prey 2 it has nothing to do with Prey on xbox 360, they owned the name prey, and just pasted it over on this one.

    and there are plenty of movies that share the same name. So i dont see what the big deal is. The game is awesome. Nothing to do with prey on 360.
  • Posted on 18 May 19 at 18:39
    K1NG ARTHUR III said:
    I predict this hits game pass within 1 year
    i so agree with this lol
  • mer0u1mer0u1306,440
    Posted on 18 May 19 at 18:41, Edited on 18 May 19 at 18:42 by mer0u1
    pezboyben said:
    I'm tired of games that are nothing like their prequels. I loved Rage, this seems nothing like it at all. This happened to me with the recent Prey reboot, I wanted a Prey 2 not some totally different game. Pick another damn name and I might be fine with the game lol. I know that is stupid but it is how I feel.
    I totally agree with you about Rage 2. I'm a huge fan of the first episode with I still have it on Xbox 360, which now can be play on Xbox One in higher resolution. And, even if I'm definitely not a big fan of post-apo games such as Fallout, etc., I really liked Rage's universe. I found a lot of references within it such as in Ghost Town, which made me think about The secret of the Planet of the Apes movie with Charlton Heston, where you see a devastated New York city, with windowless and earthen skyscrapers. Rage's gameplay was and still is great because it's smooth (60 fps), fast, nervous and the craft added a lot of features and new kind of gameplay to play and experiment with.
    When I saw Rage 2's first teaser and trailer, I did not find the same feeling nor the same universe. And since it's supposed to take place some decades after Rage's end, I can't help but find no coherence in the timeline. Rage 2 is a totally different game, with a different univers than Rage. They only share the same name, and some details but that is all.
    Back when Rage was released, Borderlands had already been available for some months. Speaking about development, Rage's started way sooner than Borderlands's. And, Borderlands's development began months, maybe years after the beginning of Rage's. Gaming industry's urban legends have said that developers from iD Software and Gearbox spoke to each other about their mutual projects they were working on at that time (or some developpers left iD Software to go and work at Gearbox) and that Gearbox tried to make their own game, using Rage's pitch as the base for their upcoming game, Borderlands. Since iD Software had trouble to develop Rage, Borderlands came to its end and was released sooner. ID Software was accused of copying the concept of Borderlands, that it was inspired by this last one. But reality is a bit different. And I think iD Software never really forgave this fraud.
    Now, when we see Rage 2, we can't see anything but a way for iD Software to get back what they took so many years to create without being really credited for it (even if Rage's end is a bit of a mess, synopisly speaking. And, of course, Rage and Borderlands are, in the end, two different kind of games, even if they share some sort of common universe). And, this time, it's the opposite. Rage 2 is released before Borderlands 3.
    But, when we have a closer look on Rage 2, we find way more ressemblance with Borderlands than with Rage and I think this is what sounds wrong for any players who really cares about rage.
    Do or do not. There is no try.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.