Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Final Fantasy and the Makings of a Timeless Game

• EurydaceEurydace642,376
  • Posted on 19 May 19 at 21:42
    My favorite games growing up were always the turned based JRPGs like Final Fantasy VII and The Legend of Dragoon
  • SighrisSighris2,152,992
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 21:51
    I've 100% all the xbox ports except 12 and they all stand testament of time.
    Moo
  • CharleyTonyCharleyTony128,560
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 21:56
    Great article.

Cant help but wonder where you would place Lost Odyssey.
    It also was a sort of swan song of the old JRPG era, and was one of the first back compatible xbox360 games on Xbox One.

I never finished it, for some reason.
  • C3LLDW3LLERC3LLDW3LLER627,199
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 21:59
    I’ve still got lost odyssey to finish and that was an Xbox 360 launch title? lol
  • King KRoolKing KRool215,989
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 22:12
    Odyssey was about 2008

Got it for free about a year ago

Still haven’t finished but half way there I hope I can complete it one day
  • CalrethiCalrethi92,926
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 22:27
    ZeroQuill470763 said:
    My favorite games growing up were always the turned based JRPGs like Final Fantasy VII and The Legend of Dragoon
    I would absolutely love a Legend of Dragon port/remaster/remake.
    I loved that game so so much.
  • Free RiegnFree Riegn691,248
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 22:31
    Nice article. Well presented. Last of Us reference as a game that is not worthy of a replay is off (the game is absolutely worthy of a replay and the multiplayer is great fun in my opinion).

A new final fantasy game hopefully will be released and I have my fingers crossed that it will fall back to the turn based JRPG rather than the action RPG that FFXV is.
    Yeah Buddy!!!
  • CalrethiCalrethi92,926
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 22:36
    Free Riegn said:
    Nice article. Well presented. Last of Us reference as a game that is not worthy of a replay is off (the game is absolutely worthy of a replay and the multiplayer is great fun in my opinion).

A new final fantasy game hopefully will be released and I have my fingers crossed that it will fall back to the turn based JRPG rather than the action RPG that FFXV is.
    You might like Last of Us, but I agree with the author, there is no pull to replay the game- I know the story, which is all that made it anything special. The gameplay itself was just fine.

There is 0 chance we get a new turn-based Final Fantasy, they don’t ever go backwards
  • Posted on 19 May 19 at 22:38
    ZeroQuill470763 said:
    Wow forgot about Legend of Dragoon, great game.

Great article! Final Fantasy X remains one of my favorite RPG's and shouldn't be missed.
    Don't bro me if you don't know me.
  • Endless404Endless404546,581
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 22:52
    There any word on final fantasy 8? I was really hoping it would get a release too.
  • RedBlinkyRedBlinky1,348,095
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 22:59
    Calrethi said:
    Free Riegn said:

You might like Last of Us, but I agree with the author, there is no pull to replay the game- I know the story, which is all that made it anything special. The gameplay itself was just fine.

There is 0 chance we get a new turn-based Final Fantasy, they don’t ever go backwards
    The last of us gameplay is far and away the worst part of the game. Knowing the story I have 0 desire to slog through the gameplay again. Yet I would still say the game is worth playing and always will be... once.
  • ApathyGamerApathyGamer889,577
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 23:22
    Glad to see others enjoying FFX. It's such a good game.
  • Guirec730Guirec730399,211
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 23:29
    Curious what the author thinks of the FFXIII games. I was an avid fan through XII and have abandoned the series on word of mouth since.
    State of the badass art.
  • Posted on 19 May 19 at 23:52, Edited on 19 May 19 at 23:53 by Cemetery Girls
    I'm excited to finally give the series a try... When it's on sale. If I waited this long, I can wait a bit longer. Same with Spyro.

My only FF was Type-0 and that was... terrible. Just awful. But I knew even going in it wasn't a traditional FF so I won't hold the whole series against it.
  • EurydaceEurydace642,376
    Posted on 19 May 19 at 23:57
    Guirec730 said:
    Curious what the author thinks of the FFXIII games. I was an avid fan through XII and have abandoned the series on word of mouth since.
    FF13 is my favorite. I love the gameplay as it was very unique and challenging. I will admit the story is confusing and it’s pretty linear so it’s not for everyone. I just don’t care as much on that front.
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 00:16
    Missed out on everything after IX so was glad to finally get to play XIII, and now X and XII. FF was one of my first introduction to gaming on the NES. Never got to play D&D with anyone so this was the closest I could get.

Disappointed they will probably never make another turn-based FF game. Even the FF VII reboot is Action-RPG now. Guess we will have to rely on Kemco publishing everything they can get their hands on.
  • ElyohElyoh1,039,188
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 00:18
    I tried twice to get into X back in the day, and never could. XII I couldn't get first time either, but second time it got me and I ended up doing absolutely everything I could in it. I do find the games tend to take a while to 'grab' you, so you need to be dedicated in giving them a go.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • x iKrueLTyyyx iKrueLTyyy669,605
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 00:31
    Wished this got the PC mods like 7 did...
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 00:54
    I pretty much watched my cousin play FFX when we were kids because I didn’t have a PlayStation and I’ve always wanted to play it and X-2 since. I’m glad to see the glowing reviews about these games and can’t wait to start them myself at some point.

My opinion is higher of Fable than the author but that’s ok, I thought the game was funny enough and the good vs bad character paths you could take were great. Nonetheless I get what the author is saying, a timeless classic vs games that were great at the time but basically building blocks for the future. Very interesting article and I would be interested to hear where people think other games fall.

My example would be Halo (building block game) and Halo 3 (timeless classic).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.