Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

RAGE 2 Review

• Posted on 20 May 19 at 14:00Permalink
    All dressed up with nowhere to go

Please click here to read the story: RAGE 2 Review
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan609,254
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 14:02Permalink
    So the experience is similar to Just Cause, just what I thought.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 20 May 19 at 14:37Permalink
    It gets real boring. Better than the first but thats not saying much
    Obtained the shadows rushed me.
  • NoHeroes94NoHeroes94513,650
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 14:39, Edited on 20 May 19 at 14:59 by NoHeroes94Permalink
    This review is pretty much perfect. Worth your time, I'd maybe recommend waiting until the $40/£35 mark which Bethesda games normally reach pretty shortly after launch.

The shooting mechanics really defy anything else on the market, and it is visually extremely satisfying, but RAGE 2 was slightly disappointing for me as a big fan of iD software and the original IP due to depth, precision, and purpose. Having 8 story missions in an open-world shooter in 2019 is pretty inexcusable, in my opinion, and a better story would have elevated this game a lot because the world design and gameplay mechanics were there. Extremely buggy, too.

A shame.
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 14:57, Edited on 20 May 19 at 14:57 by Living LegendsPermalink
    8 missions? Even when CoD made campaigns they were longer
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 15:12Permalink
    8 missions doesn’t sound very good but as long as the game is fun which it seems to be I’m getting this. I mean it can’t have more locations to clear than Assassins Creed Origins right?
  • Rista BRista B405,639
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 15:31, Edited on 20 May 19 at 15:31 by Rista BPermalink
    So an under cooked game with an abrupt ending...sounds like they made the perfect sequel to Rage.
    Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 15:57Permalink
    HawkeyeBarry20 said:
    8 missions doesn’t sound very good but as long as the game is fun which it seems to be I’m getting this. I mean it can’t have more locations to clear than Assassins Creed Origins right?
    The map’s got a nice amount of things to do, but nothing like an AC game. If you’re looking for a challenge my advice would be don’t play on Normal, it’s laughably easy. Personally I like that...I like to be able to run through the enemies.
  • CoreScanCoreScan921,010
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 16:20Permalink
    Rage 2 was a blast to play - it's a very well-made, entertaining, satifisfying open-world shooter, though one with a poor story, a short campaign and a shallow world.

Overall, it's one of this console generation's best shooters, and I hope they'll be adding some great DLC.
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 17:24Permalink
    I'm 10 hours in and enjoying it. RAGE felt like a chore and I wasn't going to pick this up but the ACG review sold me on it. I imagine I'll finish it this week and trade it in towards MS points so I can get A Plague Tale: Innocence.
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 18:37Permalink
    Disappointing but good to know I can at least hold off on this until it’s inevitably heavily discounted
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 18:40Permalink
    Is this game anywhere near as disturbing as id's other game franchises?
  • ArkhamArkham1,392,885
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 20:41Permalink
    Enjoyable game, but a fair review.
  • VGM 007VGM 007489,312
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 20:42Permalink
    To me it's a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. It has fantastic shooting & great weapons that a ton of fun to play with, like DOOM. However it lacks the tight story cohesion of DOOM or Wolfenstein, instead dropping you into this big open world that leaves the game aimless. Sure the open world activities move various progress bars up & open new skills for you, but you'll reach a point where you will have all the useful skills yet still have a map littered with bandit dens, mutant nests or crusher nests. There just isn't much reason to go on then. You're not leveling up character, there isn't new game plus (at least currently), there isn't co-op. The game could have been quite good if they dropped the open world & gave a solid 10-13 hour campaign like Wolfenstein or DOOM.

It also had a ton of bugs & glitches for me. Bandits phasing into walls or buildings preventing me from completing objectives, unable to turn in a main quest cause the npc was stuck in a speech loop, the stats menu is totally broken.
  • Posted on 20 May 19 at 22:22, Edited on 20 May 19 at 22:37 by BLAST KINETICPermalink
    On the microtransaction front, is there anything that can only be bought with real currency and not earned in game?

It would actually be nice if TA reviewers started adding this information into their reviews since they seem to be so ubiquitous in today's market.
    http://www.waivingentropy.com/
  • Ryn0 LRyn0 L474,461
    Posted on 20 May 19 at 22:32Permalink
    I look forward to playing this when in Game Pass. Sounds like it's fun and short. Perfect.
  • Posted on 21 May 19 at 11:22Permalink
    I am enjoying the game so far. Looking forward to the DLC this year for it. In this world today, you can't please everyone I guess.
  • Posted on 21 May 19 at 12:01Permalink
    Not sure I'll be rushing to play this...I already have many shooters in my backlog and the post-apocalyptic setting has never really appealed to me either.
    Legohead 1977
  • Vok 250Vok 250193,419
    Posted on 21 May 19 at 16:32Permalink
    I'm not surprised. The previous game wasn't a huge hit so I was always confused why people were hyping up this sequel so much. It's not like Bethesda has been putting out hits recently either. I guess I'm just not as susceptible to marketing.
  • Azrael008ukAzrael008uk210,826
    Posted on 21 May 19 at 19:20Permalink
    Frankie DrumsNY said:
    I'm 10 hours in and enjoying it. RAGE felt like a chore and I wasn't going to pick this up but the ACG review sold me on it. I imagine I'll finish it this week and trade it in towards MS points so I can get A Plague Tale: Innocence.
    I love "Rage 2". It's fun.

But there are some incredibly questionable design choices... most abrasive of which has to be the fact that the "Mission Complete" screen comes up the immediate SECOND you complete a mission... to the point that the game registers the death of a Super Mutant before he's actually been killed... seeing the action freeze, the screen fill with completion confirmation... all before the thing has actually seems to take damage or drop dead.

That being said the gunplay is the best around.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.