Game Discussion: Outcast - Second Contact Forum

'Hey, Doc' achievement rarity

AuthorMessage
CHRISNINETY1
CHRISNINETY1
Posted on 27 May 19 at 21:22
I couldn't help but notice that this achievement seems to be the point where the completion ratio for both TA and Xbox Live in general takes a nose dive, and I'm not entirely sure why.

The achievement comes right at the start of the game nearly, maybe half an hour in, but it looks like it's the point where everyone stops playing. Already it's deemed an Xbox 'rare achievement' and even the TA Ratio reflects this. The game ought to be considered an easy completion - none of the achievements are particularly challenging, you don't die very often, and it doesn't take that long to finish everything (maybe 20 hours). Considering the approach to achievements on TA, it's pretty surprising that everyone chooses this point right at the beginning to stop playing. I don't think it being a Games with Gold entry has anything to do with it either as the score history has been pretty consistent.

So what's up? Are people starting it and deciding they hate it right away, or is the length of the opening cut scene (I didn't time it, but I'm guessing it lasted about seven weeks) putting people off?
Johnjohnb4
Johnjohnb4
Posted on 12 June 19 at 15:01
GWG status killed the xbox live numbers since you don't need an achievement to be counted towards that list unlike for TA. The game world is beautiful but the game mechanics are very dated - perhaps that is why no one here is racing to get it done?
TobyLinn
TobyLinn
Posted on 15 July 19 at 02:49
I am still going to keep playing, but after I got this achievement I ran into some soldiers and realized it's very hard to fight in this game.

You have to hold down left trigger and right trigger and I shot them a lot of times but they didn't die, I ended up dying 3 times so far.
I am going to check my difficulty level and change to easy if that's possible.

Might also be because I picked this up again after about a month and am trying to remember what the controls are. At least I can start from the beginning without much hassle.
https://mix.com/tobylinn81
Vithzeral
Vithzeral
Posted on 16 August 19 at 04:55
Wasn’t there a trial of the game ... that would explain why most players stopped early on in the game.
Flabyo
Flabyo
Posted on 01 September 19 at 07:58
The game really needs a link to an online manual, took me ages to remember there was an inventory you have to open to do manual saves because you cant open the inventory in the first tutorial area and it never tells you about it.

I played through the original at launch, so I’m having fun going through it again now, but it lacks a lot of ‘quest tracking’ style stuff modern gamers are used to.

Also, the fact that the first room you start off in at the beginning of the game is the absolute worst case scenario for their in game camera means you get an immediate wrong impression about how it’s going to control.
Flabyo
Flabyo
Posted on 11 September 19 at 11:37
Yeah, I think a lot of people will have bounced off this because of the poor quality of the opening tutorial section. It's still a pretty solid game in the end, but it doesn't sell itself well at the beginning.

And for GwG, that just means most who started it will just delete it and move on.

(I do find it odd that you can hit the full 1000 earned before you even play the last act of the story, there's no 'game completed' achievement. I thought there'd at least be one for getting the 'good' ending. It's like they got bored of adding achievements after they finished putting in all the ones for each of the locations)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.