TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Batman: Arkham City Discussion - Spoiler Free

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 01 June 19 at 00:00
Welcome back to another TA Playlist month. Use this thread to ask questions about Batman: Arkham City, report in as you make your way through the game for the first time, and otherwise keep it all spoiler-free in here.
TromboneGuy360
Posted on 01 June 19 at 00:33
I’ve never played any of the Arkham games. Really should maybe, I wanna play Spider-Man in the PS4 haha.
This game will be worth a play.
"Imagine if you only woke up tomorrow with the things you prayed for today."
NoblestSteed
NoblestSteed
Posted on 01 June 19 at 04:04
TromboneGuy360 said:
I’ve never played any of the Arkham games. Really should maybe, I wanna play Spider-Man in the PS4 haha.
I played Arkham Asylum when it was on the playlist not too long ago and I really enjoyed it, so if you have the time you should definitely check this out!

I still need to wrap up my remaining combat challenges from Arkham Asylum now that I think about it. Does anyone know how the challenges from Asylum compare to Arkham City? I don't really care about length, but more-so difficulty wise.
BudgetBallin360
Posted on 01 June 19 at 15:49
Challenges on AC are more difficult than the challenges on AA
NeoMaster47
NeoMaster47
Posted on 01 June 19 at 16:15
I will see the possibility of playing it now because of the recommendations that are given and reviews about the game, which only say good things.
~Neo~
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 01 June 19 at 16:50
NoblestSteed said:
TromboneGuy360 said:
I played Arkham Asylum when it was on the playlist not too long ago and I really enjoyed it, so if you have the time you should definitely check this out!

I still need to wrap up my remaining combat challenges from Arkham Asylum now that I think about it. Does anyone know how the challenges from Asylum compare to Arkham City? I don't really care about length, but more-so difficulty wise.
What’s worse is there are a lot more challenges in AC and you’ll have to do them with multiple characters to get the 100%. Worst thing about the franchise.
Armstrong x360a
Posted on 01 June 19 at 22:06, Edited on 01 June 19 at 22:08 by Armstrong x360a
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
NoblestSteed said:
TromboneGuy360 said:

What’s worse is there are a lot more challenges in AC and you’ll have to do them with multiple characters to get the 100%. Worst thing about the franchise.
^^Yea. Overall, I've enjoyed this game but I find Riddler's Challenges to be a slog. Working through Cat Woman now and I just don't know if/when I'll be able to finish these...

To answer the question above, the combat challenges are easy, albeit tedious, this time around while the predator challenges require more luck than I would like.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 01 June 19 at 22:14
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Yeah, I like the story and the open world, but the challenges are just not particularly fun to me.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 02 June 19 at 07:57, Edited on 02 June 19 at 07:58 by zeldafanjtl
BudgetBallin360 said:
Challenges on AC are more difficult than the challenges on AA
I strongly disagree. Overall, I found AA a lot harder.

That being said, AC’s predator challenges are more challenging than AA’s, and there a lot more challenges in AC in general, and you have to complete them four times with all the DLC characters.

But AA’s combat challenges were just so bullshit hard that I still say it was the most difficult and frustrating. The controls for batarangs and grappling made it really easy to accidentally do the wrong version of those moves and sink your combo. And I never would’ve completed Rumble in the Jungle (Extreme) if there wasn’t a way to cheese it.
SpeleoFool
SpeleoFool
Posted on 02 June 19 at 16:27
I’d say City is harder than Asylum when it comes to challenges. I remember thinking that the combat controls in City were way more forgiving when I first played it, but since then I’ve gone back and done all the stacks of Asylum. Turns out I just got better at the combat from heaps of practice. :-)

I’m playing through both the PC (GFWL) and X1 stacks of City right now and have been streaming the Riddler Challenge stuff on Mixer. I’ve been burning through them at a pretty consistent pace with few failures (Pro-tip: don’t mix the time limit modifier with the aggressive enemies modifier for combat, lol). I finished Batman’s campaign medals last night on the One and have the hardest 7 or so done on PC. Going to mop up the remainders and run through New Game Plus next.

Non-spoilery strategy for anyone new to Arkham City:
1. Play the story first; unlock Batman’s toys to get used to them
2. Start with combat challenges. The key to victory is being methodical, not fast
3. Do vanilla predator challenges next; you need to know and practice the requirements for the medals
4. Save campaign challenges for last. Knock out the hardest modifiers in the first round to make the next two easier.

I used the videos in this solution as a refresher on predator maps, then developed my own strategies (spoiler tag below, in case anyone considers predator map reveals over the line, lol):
Aura of Heroism Batman: Arkham City (Xbox 360) Gold Revenge Aura of Heroism's solution for the Gold Revenge Achievement in Batman: Arkham City (Xbox 360)Obtain all 72 medals on the original Arkham City ranked maps (as Batman)

My key adjustments to predator strategies in the solution above:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
HallowedClock8
Posted on 02 June 19 at 18:08, Edited on 02 June 19 at 18:10 by HallowedClock8
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
I agree with this point, i completed the game long time ago, but doing the challenges with robin or nightwing are really hard, and a kinda of boring for me -.- Well is something which you are going to do in Arkham Knight if you want to complete the game 100%
Cylon 118
Cylon 118
Posted on 02 June 19 at 18:27
Having played through asylum just over a month ago and now playing this I am sure that the combat is just way more forgiving in this but with so much more to do and explore this is going to take way longer to finish plus there's the calendar man achievement and to do legit is gonna take the better part of a year!
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 02 June 19 at 18:32
Just curious what everyone’s favorite Batman skin was in this game. I think mine was Sinestro Corps Batman with Batman Beyond a close second. Can’t say I was a fan of any skins from the other characters you could choose.
Armstrong x360a
Posted on 02 June 19 at 21:22
SpeleoFool, I think your tips for the challenges are good for the most part. My only addition/adjustment is that I would recommend doing the campaigns while you're doing the predator challenges. I found it much easier to complete the campaigns on the first or second try if I did them right after having mastered the predator challenge. On the times when I saved them until the end, I felt like I had to relearn/remind myself of the strategy. This is especially true for the last Extreme Predator campaign.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 02 June 19 at 23:54
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Just curious what everyone’s favorite Batman skin was in this game. I think mine was Sinestro Corps Batman with Batman Beyond a close second. Can’t say I was a fan of any skins from the other characters you could choose.
Animated Nightwing was cool.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 03 June 19 at 06:25
This isn’t just a great Batman game. I think it’s one of the best Batman stories ever told. It feels like a great comic run throughout.
n4k3dLEE
n4k3dLEE
Posted on 03 June 19 at 08:08
I didn't even realize it was June already! Time to get to work on this game after I finish up LA Noire. Enjoyed it on the 360 so hopefully it'll be just as good second time around even if doing the challenges multiple times got a little tedious towards the end.

Whilst I think on, this seems as good a place as any to ask, does anyone know if Rocksteady are currently working on anything else? I always dreamed of a 90's style Turtles game. A dark and gritty setting, 4 player co-op and with the combat settings from these Batman games would work so well imo. In fact there's so much they could do but they seem to have been quiet for a long time now.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 03 June 19 at 08:21
^Yes, Rocksteady has a project in the works. But we don’t know anything about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5jrxnv/im_sefton_hill...
Ginn0rz
Ginn0rz
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:50
This is the best game of the Rocksteady series for me. I still listen to the main menu music every now and then. I can't remember which release of the game I got but it came with a Batman figurine. It still takes pride of place on my bookshelf!

The main campaign was very well written. I also enjoyed the New Game + run through, which is rare for me (feels like a lazy way of getting gamers to dedicate more time at the expense of playing competing games). The boss battle with was absolutely awesome. It was a shame you had to run through all of the side missions again though, it could have done without that (they learned this lesson for Arkham Knight thank god).

The combat, predator and campaign challenges were very tough, particularly for Catwoman. The Perfect Knight and Campaign Kitty achievements are some of my proudest ones on Xbox. Remember: you can jump off the Top of the World map without dying, the game will automatically return you to a vantage point!

I couldn't bring myself to repeat the challenges all over again with Robin and Nightwing though. Catwoman was almost the end of me.
SquidCzy
SquidCzy
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:12
I've never played any of these batman arkham games. People always rave on about them though. Is there a recommended play order? Or a particular one that is best? For someone like me that wants to try to get into batman.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.