TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Batman: Arkham City Discussion - Spoiler Free

AuthorMessage
Falensarano
Falensarano
Posted on 05 June 19 at 15:33
It’s been a long time since I played this one and was contemplating getting the double pack on Xbox One... but then I didn’t because Ive so many other games I haven’t played at all and want to at least play them before diving back in to these.

This is a great open world game though, lots to do and it never felt like work... until the challenges, that is!
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 05 June 19 at 16:41
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Clockwerks said:
It was rumored that WB Montreal is working on a Batman Court of Owls game.
Holy hell, I hope that's real. That's an awesome storyline that felt wholly new and different which is tough to do for such an old character. It was a very personal story for Bruce Wayne too, I'd love that in game form.
I was really hoping we’d see something at E3 for this but after reading the recent news article on TA I guess I won’t worry about it.
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 05 June 19 at 17:06
I've been away from Arkham for a while, but I need to get back to it this month for sure. I love this series. Knight Premium (with all DLC's) is waiting for me once I'm done City.
RKlaahsen
RKlaahsen
Posted on 05 June 19 at 18:28
Is there any value in replaying on the XB1X over the XB360? I burned out on this series after this game and haven't wanted to revisit. This may be the opportunity i need.
JBX7I
JBX7I
Posted on 05 June 19 at 22:32
SpeleoFool said:
Dresden N7 said:
...For those who've done it, how long would it take to complete all the challenge medals for each character?
That depends a *lot* on how much practice you put in / how many wipes you have.

I can clear a combat challenge in as little as 5 minutes or so, and predator challenges in anywhere from about 3 to 10 minutes. Let’s call it 5 on average to make for easy math.

There are 12 combat and 12 predator challenges, so as little as 120 minutes for all 72 medals if everything went perfectly. Then there are 12 campaign challenges, each of which is a series of 3 combat/predator challenges. So, another 180 minutes for those, putting you at a theoretical minimum of about 5 hours. Realistically, you’d be doing well to double that.
Yeah you know everything won't go perfectly well the first time lol
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 05 June 19 at 23:30
LovelierBread37 said:
SpeleoFool said:
Dresden N7 said:
...For those who've done it, how long would it take to complete all the challenge medals for each character?

I can clear a combat challenge in as little as 5 minutes or so, and predator challenges in anywhere from about 3 to 10 minutes. Let’s call it 5 on average to make for easy math.

There are 12 combat and 12 predator challenges, so as little as 120 minutes for all 72 medals if everything went perfectly. Then there are 12 campaign challenges, each of which is a series of 3 combat/predator challenges. So, another 180 minutes for those, putting you at a theoretical minimum of about 5 hours. Realistically, you’d be doing well to double that.
Even double sounds overly optimistic. You’ll need a lot of practice to clear everything.
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 06 June 19 at 00:47
RKlaahsen said:
Is there any value in replaying on the XB1X over the XB360? I burned out on this series after this game and haven't wanted to revisit. This may be the opportunity i need.
All DLCs and costumes included. Thats about it.

The Return to Arkham enhancements aren't really noticeable. At least not to me.
Armstrong x360a
Posted on 06 June 19 at 01:02
JohnnyInterfnk said:
RKlaahsen said:
All DLCs and costumes included. Thats about it.

The Return to Arkham enhancements aren't really noticeable. At least not to me.
Yea, some have called it a "demaster," it seems the framerate suffered somewhat with whatever graphical updates they made (that many also say are not very noticeable).
Lt Davo
Lt Davo
Posted on 06 June 19 at 05:02, Edited on 06 June 19 at 05:03 by Lt Davo
Armstrong x360a said:
Completed the game today, pretty proud of that completion. There were definitely times during some of the predator challenges when I felt like giving up... Now I'm on the fence about playing Origins vs skipping right to Knight. I've heard the story in Origins is pretty good, but have no interest in the MP and would need to grind that out as I'm kinda a completionist...

Thoughts? Pros/Cons of Origins? How many hours did it take you to complete (max achievements) and how much of that time was for MP vs SP? Overall, is it worth the time? Thanks!
The MP achievements in Origins are pretty grindy. Do yourself a favor and get two boosting partners and you can get them done (for all three people) in maybe around ten hours.

The batmotank challenges in Knight are the low point of the franchise, IMO. At least when I was doing the Augmented Reality challenges and Riddler trophies in City, I still felt like I was playing a Batman game, but Knight, at times, felt more like Grand Theft Auto: Gotham City.
I complete games.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 06 June 19 at 06:48
Lt Davo said:
Knight, at times, felt more like Grand Theft Auto: Gotham City.
I would totally play that
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 06 June 19 at 13:03
zeldafanjtl said:
Lt Davo said:
Knight, at times, felt more like Grand Theft Auto: Gotham City.
I would totally play that
Niko Bellic IS "the Bat" with his sidekick, Tony Prince.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 06 June 19 at 15:21
AaronJamesx38 said:
Time get to these stacks
Same here.
SpeleoFool
SpeleoFool
Posted on 08 June 19 at 01:26
zeldafanjtl said:
LovelierBread37 said:
SpeleoFool said:
Dresden N7 said:

Even double sounds overly optimistic. You’ll need a lot of practice to clear everything.
Well, for Batman I didn't even need to double that. For Catwoman, double was just about right. I worked my way through her challenges this week and knocked out one achievement per night (one for the 72 combat and predator medals, and one for the 108 campaign medals, each done twice for X1 and PC). I put about 5 hours per night into these, and streamed everything on Mixer (to an audience of nobody, lol, but most of the streams are available on demand for a couple weeks if anyone cares).

Anymore, the combat is automatic--almost boring. The key is to maximize the combo multiplier and keep it going, which actually means doing minimal damage to enemies in order to bump the multiplier as high as possible. For Batman, spam the bat swarm every time you get a yellow combo. For Catwoman, use the whip-snap. Variety bonuses are nice, but are really only important for the first map (Blind Justice) because there are so few enemies that reaching the target score can use a little help. On other maps I have no trouble handily beating the gold score targets. It's not unusual for me to double them, or more. I had to take a pic of annihilating the score on Funhouse Brawl with Batman during one of his campaign challenges (the Aggressive Enemies modifier helped me to extend the abuse in the final round to a 180x multiplier):
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48021702311_125ea07....jpg

The key to the Predator challenges is figuring out a good "opener." The enemies move in predictable patterns until you get spotted or take one down, so figure out what to do first to give yourself the maximum advantage. With the right strategy and clean execution you can usually knock out one or two medals or take down key enemies like mine layers or disrupter thugs. The rest is about thinning the herd and working the room--know your safe spots and be careful. As a consequence, once you know the maps (and I do, well, from the campaign and from 360 challenges), most of the practice you need for Predator maps is working out what to do during the first 30-60 seconds.
wildwest08
wildwest08
Posted on 08 June 19 at 06:42
I thought the overall story of the sequel was good, but the grind on the challenges brought the rating down. I mean it felt like they added triple the amount of the first game and it felt tedious after awhile
Alahert
Alahert
Posted on 08 June 19 at 13:26
Really need to try these games, they have been sitting in my backlog for far too long!
TRAP LOVERS
ZW
ZW
Posted on 08 June 19 at 16:31
The collectibles got way out of hand too.
??ZW???????????????????????????????????
CrimsonGhost03
Posted on 10 June 19 at 04:34
Do the challenge DLCs ever go on sale? I'd like to complete it but $7 each seems a little high for what they include.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 12 June 19 at 01:59
CrimsonGhost03 said:
Do the challenge DLCs ever go on sale? I'd like to complete it but $7 each seems a little high for what they include.
Personally I think they're worth $7, but you're going to have hard time getting them on sale. It's been at least a couple years since the DLC got a discount. That said, there's a GOTY edition that has them all
#mentallypudding
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 12 June 19 at 14:55
ZW said:
The collectibles got way out of hand too.
I remember thinking that too, but I also remember being frustrated about that on my initial playthrough, when there were a ton of Riddler trophies lying around that I didn't have the gadgets necessary to get. So I'd find one and waste a few minutes trying to figure it out before I'd realize I didn't have the right equipment and move on. It was frustrating, and it really broke up the pacing of the plot, which I remember being a big issue I had with this game when I first played it.

Now, playing on NG+ with all the gadgets, I'm finding I don't have nearly as much of an issue with the Riddler trophies. They get marked on the map when you interrogate a Riddler henchman, so they're not hard to find, and I appreciate that some of them do take a little skill or thought to collect.

Yeah, there's a lot of them -- I think they could cut the number by about 50% and still be fine -- but if you as long as you don't get frustrated early on by the ones you can't get, I don't think they're all that bad.
spankyNspronkle
Posted on 12 June 19 at 16:14
Alahert said:
Really need to try these games, they have been sitting in my backlog for far too long!
Same. I played through Arkham Asylum on the PS3 and loved it. Never got a chance to pick it up on the Xbox 360. I do have this game, but the story lost me pretty quickly. I think the first game had such unique combat (at the time) that I was completely sucked in.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.