Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 02 June 19 at 16:18
The leading man misses the mark

Please click here to read the story: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Review
A Silent Fox
A Silent Fox
Posted on 02 June 19 at 16:45
I played this when it first came out, just once and was so excited to get back into it all these years later. I've just finished my almost 100% run (skipping trials) and it has taken a few minutes less than 100 hours. I loved it. The story is pants, most of the characters are 1D, but everything else is brilliant. So pretty much agree with this.
Facial La Fleur
Facial La Fleur
Posted on 02 June 19 at 16:48
I had this on PS2 but never had the time to complete it. I may have to pick it up and see if I can get through it this time. Though my time is even more limited these days, my ADD isn't as bad. laugh
BrutalPandaX
BrutalPandaX
Posted on 02 June 19 at 16:49
I loved this game when it first released. The world and designs are beautiful and although the characters don't have a lot of depth, they are still superbly designed. It's like the Star Wars of FF games, SW also is pretty much 1D in terms of characters but the audience enjoys being in that universe. Looking forward to playing it on the X.
Guirec730
Guirec730
Posted on 02 June 19 at 17:07
This game is a prequel I believe to Vagrant Story on ps1, which had a much better story. A much better story than just about any game.

It played like a super deep version of Square's Parasite Eve.

Ah, late 90's rpgs.
State of the badass art.
Sir Dane III
Sir Dane III
Posted on 02 June 19 at 17:11
Interested in trying it out, but £45 for a PS2 game? I'll wait for a sale...
HuwCW87
HuwCW87
Posted on 02 June 19 at 17:20
Guirec730 said:
This game is a prequel I believe to Vagrant Story on ps1, which had a much better story. A much better story than just about any game.

Ah, late 90's rpgs.
Yeah, vagrant story was good, another good one was koudelka, although the combat was really slow, I enjoyed everything else about it.
atryeu1
atryeu1
Posted on 02 June 19 at 17:50
I loved this game. A friend let me borrow it on PS2 and I ended up buying it for myself eventually also. I was so excited when I finally took down Yiazmat for the first time! I remember it took me a good 12-24 hours worth of fighting even at maxed level for all my characters just to take him down but it was amazing to see him finally go down :D I think the only thing I never completed was the Beast Guide thing because I couldn't find some of the very rare hard to find ones... they never wanted to show up for me. LoL

I've been wanting to replay this but I can't seem to catch up on my backlog of 360 games I haven't played at all yet. Once I'm caught up, that and the Zelda's will be the first of my old games to replay. Wish I could get the remaster but I can't get the newer systems with my metered satellite internet :( I still have my PS2 copy at least though!
Ashen Seraph
Ashen Seraph
Posted on 02 June 19 at 17:54
Guirec730 said:
Hardly just Vagrant Story.
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ivalice
Victim of myself.
nodge
nodge
Posted on 02 June 19 at 18:11
I played this last year on PS4 and I’m excited to play it again. I’ve just finished FFX and I’m going to be starting FFX-2 soon. Having already finished VII and IX I really feel that there should have been more than a week or two between the releases to give each of them a bit more focus.
snake42069
snake42069
Posted on 02 June 19 at 19:43
i havent played any final fantasy game between 9 and 12, so going in with complete ignorance of the games is going to be awesome. I never really played 7 all the way through because i was too young and was an N64 kid back then, but 8 is what got me hooked on RPG's. I played that game so much i burned out my lens or the discs (didnt know which crapped out).
Kain Hellblade
Posted on 02 June 19 at 20:20
HuwCW87 said:
Guirec730 said:

Ah, late 90's rpgs.
Yeah, vagrant story was good, another good one was koudelka, although the combat was really slow, I enjoyed everything else about it.
I believe Shadow Hearts was the sequal to Koudelka and I enjoyed them all.
Lambent Lail
Lambent Lail
Posted on 02 June 19 at 20:26
Score is a little low for me. I would give it a 4. Vaan being the non-main/main character is spot on, and felt very odd.

I very much enjoyed the gambit system, and the hunts were a bit too fetch-questy late game when they were easy to kill, but the harder hunts more than made up for that in my opinion.
Resident Evil junkie
Solo Wing 82
Solo Wing 82
Posted on 02 June 19 at 20:56
Im that guy who never played any ff games when he was young cause he had mega drive and Saturn to play shining games. I was introduced to FFX a long time ago. Now that the older games are being released for xbox, i think its a good time to catch up. But.... iv got like another 15 rpgs waiting to be completed... maybe more , my backlog is out this world. Im desperately trying to catch up, refusing to even work sometimes... anyway... im still busy with ffxv and just picked up world of final fantasy maxima , well maybe its my old age(37) but i cant even understand those games anymore. Its all so complicated to me. All these new names and ahhh its doing my head in. And that super annoying creature that says The all the time.... oh no., im rambling again...
human teleportation, molecular decimation, breakdown and reformation is inherently purging, it makes a man a king
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 02 June 19 at 21:17
I would have given it a higher score, but I agree on the points made here. The story is eh, and the main character doesn't make much sense, but I absolutely loved the combat system. To me it's like a RPG-strategy game, and as soon as you as strategy to something I'm likely to love it laugh
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
HuwCW87
HuwCW87
Posted on 02 June 19 at 21:22
Kain Hellblade said:
HuwCW87 said:
Guirec730 said:

Ah, late 90's rpgs.
Yeah it is the sequel to koudelka, you meet koudelka a fair bit later in the game, shadow hearts was awesome, apart from the third which was a steaming turd.
EarthboundX
EarthboundX
Posted on 02 June 19 at 21:46, Edited on 02 June 19 at 21:48 by EarthboundX
I loved the combat system and the license systems when I played this back in the day. I never finished the game though, I don't think I even got very far.

Looking forward to finally finishing it once the game gets cheap.
DrMmmPie
DrMmmPie
Posted on 02 June 19 at 22:13, Edited on 02 June 19 at 22:16 by DrMmmPie
Out of all the FF I've played, (which is most if them) this is one I just couldn't get into, I don't know why, I played a fair bit of it I want to say at least 10 hours, I'm sure I still have the guide and ps2 copy in storage.
This post might contain spelling mistakes, I'm a dyslexia. Also this may have a different opinion to yours.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 02 June 19 at 22:24
Kain Hellblade said:
HuwCW87 said:
Guirec730 said:

Ah, late 90's rpgs.
Shadow Hearts. Now that's a name I haven't heard in years. Why can't they remake that shit instead of dumb stuff like Ghostbusters. I'd kill somebody to get a fancy remake/remaster of that series.

Excited to play FFXII soon, though the combat will likely give me PTSD of my many days rushing through FFXI before the server closure.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
gobey17
gobey17
Posted on 02 June 19 at 22:44
I remember playing this for a bit back on the ps2 and remembering nothing about the plot or characters so must be pretty forgettable. Which is a shame as I like RPG's that have both good stories and gameplay, especially from a FF game.

Maybe I'll pick it up when its super cheap but still prefer to get VII and X. Though might take a break from rpg's for a bit as burnt out from playing IX and Wasteland 2!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.