Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Minecraft: Story Mode Episodes Must be Downloaded By June 25th

AuthorMessage
Mectron
Mectron
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:20
What about the S2 on season pass disk on XB 360 that CANNOT be downloaded has of now? (all download of episodes 2 to 5 are corrupted)
Deviousapple
Deviousapple
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:27
This is my whole problem with purchasing digital games. This is a look in to the future of gaming.
FullNietzsche
FullNietzsche
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:29
Cemetery Girls said:
Lambent Lail said:
This story is going to make people freak out the way it is written. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but you DO NOT have to keep ANY delisted games permanently installed on your systems.

I believe the article is simply stating that after June 25th, you will no longer be ABLE to download this material to your ACCOUNT (not necessarily your system) if you have not initiated the download before then, regardless of season pass or disc ownership.
{#}On behalf of the publisher, Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series, Season 1 and 2 will no longer be supported on June 25th, 2019. If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June.{#}

In other words, after June 25th, you won't be able to download the episodes even if you own them. This should make people worried, with any other game as long as you bought it you'd still be able to install it, even if it's delisted. This is a first.

Not sure why Microsoft can't/won't buy the rights to the series, then put them on Gamepass or something.
Yep if this is actually the case then this is huge news and has terrible implications for all of us who own (or 'own') digital games.

Some clarification from Microsoft is needed.
supadryz
supadryz
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:33
I have Season One for Xbox 360 which is still unplayed. So this will become a nice drinks coaster. But on a serious note should I push myself to play through this game for a 3rd time
Kedrix
Kedrix
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:46
On one hand, glad I am done with S1 (and have no intentions of playing the second) on the other, this isn't right. It's ALWAYS been understood that you if you own a disc copy (or purchased it digitally) that you can go back and download the digital content. Unless the service dies, then well you are up a creek. This completely smells and really needs to be clarified by Microsoft. BS of the highest degree.
Michael Durr Gamertag: Kedrix www.kedrix.net
Lambent Lail
Lambent Lail
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:52, Edited on 03 June 19 at 11:56 by Lambent Lail
Cemetery Girls said:
"On behalf of the publisher, Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series, Season 1 and 2 will no longer be supported on June 25th, 2019. If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June."

In other words, after June 25th, you won't be able to download the episodes even if you own them. This should make people worried, with any other game as long as you bought it you'd still be able to install it, even if it's delisted. This is a first.

Not sure why Microsoft can't/won't buy the rights to the series, then put them on Gamepass or something.
DocONally said:
If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June.

Pretty clear to me. The game will have to stay on your hard drive forever as it cannot be downloaded again after the deadline.

Really bad as you say for consumer confidence. I must pick up S2 before it's too late.
Osmo76 said:
It is different, because normally you can download a delisted game if you have purchased it earlier. In this case, as stated above, you cannot even download the game after the 25th.
FullNietzsche said:
Yep if this is actually the case then this is huge news and has terrible implications for all of us who own (or 'own') digital games.

Some clarification from Microsoft is needed.
#PhysicalForLife

This is absolutely a black eye for the digital market, and especially considering the fact it is coming right off the heels of Microsoft introducing the first mainstream market, all-digital console (and, ironically, giving even more credence to the acronym of Xbox SAD).
Resident Evil junkie
StK I
StK I
Posted on 03 June 19 at 11:57
This is a pretty unacceptable premise to set going forward. I'll have to give all the w10 versions another go but I can never get the damm games to install from the windows store toast
QuixoticRocket
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:02
for people going on about "physical 4 life" i assume you missed this:

"... Mojang has now posted a warning that season pass and physical disc owners must download all of the game's episodes before the end of the month..."

while physical protects you more, it's not always the case. especially with episodic things. even then a lot of games have a "digital" component to them even if you get the physical disc and they're getting more and more like this.

it's the way data transfer is going whether you like ti or not or whether it should or not.
Palesius
Palesius
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:03
The way most of the season pass stuff works (at least on 360) is it lets you “buy” a special free version of the content. I have no idea if other delistings in the past have required you to buy/download the content before it is delisted, or if you have still been able to through in game store menus, etc.

So this could either be business as usual and they are just giving a heads up, or it could be a grim harbringer of things to come. Meaning that you can’t even redownload it if you’ve previously purchased it. Hopefully #1.
Lambent Lail
Lambent Lail
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:06
QuixoticRocket said:

"... Mojang has now posted a warning that season pass and physical disc owners must download all of the game's episodes before the end of the month..."

while physical protects you more, it's not always the case. especially with episodic things. even then a lot of games have a "digital" component to them even if you get the physical disc and they're getting more and more like this.

it's the way data transfer is going whether you like ti or not or whether it should or not.
Get outta here with your “logic” and “reading ability”! laugh

You’re right. This is just pissing me off every which way you look at it...
Resident Evil junkie
Gerbasgamer
Gerbasgamer
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:14
usually you get a full refund from MS when something like this is happening.
Happened to me twice so far (Project Spark and some DLC of another game).
Visions of Gore
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:16
QuixoticRocket said:

Was gonna say exactly that but you beat me to it. toast

While this does suck (for anyone who ACTUALLY "wanted" to play these), this has been happening for a while, just not as obvious. Look at sports games and most MP games. Servers shut down after a couple years rendering part of the game unplayable and certain achievements unobtainable. Guitar Hero Live ended support for the only part of the game that didn't suck back in December.
This is why I ALWAYS say "If a game looks really important to you, and you want to play it to completion, buy it and play it now, don't backlog it "

If I had to guess, in this case, I'd say that this has to do with the Minecraft property being licensed to Telltale in a way that was on a time frame that is about to expire, and wasn't written in a way that allowed for the possibility of the studio shutting down, putting the IP in a position similar to Golden eye N64.
Kennyannydenny
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:16, Edited on 03 June 19 at 12:16 by Kennyannydenny
Will be downloading The Walking Dead: Season Two Achievements, The Wolf Among Us Achievements and Tales from the Borderlands Achievements just in case. The rest of the version I own I already completed.
o Heres Jonny o
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:17
I best get downloading this evening
Happy Gaming
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:19
This is bad news for sure and to make things worse I’m going to over pay to get season 2.
Proud Dad MCAL
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:19
If I have the physical copy of this game do I need to worry at all?!
OldSchoolBlood
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:22
When you buy the season pass, your profile does not have the rights to the individual episodes until you download each of them. Most likely once you do this then you can redownload them at a later time from your download history after the delisting.
It is rare, but some games after a delisting are not redownloadable even if purchased previously. "World Gone Sour" for example is only playable if you purchased before the delisting and left it on your HD all these years.
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:24
Thanks for the news!!!! time to down load thus shit twice :(
Kennyannydenny
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:30
Proud Dad MCAL said:
If I have the physical copy of this game do I need to worry at all?!
Yes. The article says even physical copies will need to be installed. You won't have access to the game anymore after the 25th if you didn't install your game, digitally or physically.
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 03 June 19 at 12:35
It's not letting me down load episodes 3-5 for season 2 360 anyone else having issues ?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.