Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Phil Spencer: Project Scarlett Will Not be Microsoft's Last Console

AuthorMessage
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 14 June 19 at 12:56
So how does Project xCloud fit in?

Please click here to read the story: Phil Spencer: Project Scarlett Will Not be Microsoft's Last Console
ZaidLVDon
ZaidLVDon
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:01, Edited on 14 June 19 at 13:01 by ZaidLVDon
It crazy how much hate Xbox gets for anything but Sony CEO can say console gaming is a niche market and don't know if PS5 will be there last console and it ok.
ZaidLVDon
EazyE2285
EazyE2285
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:01
In other news, Phil Spencer is a liar
Shel2theburne
Shel2theburne
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:11
EazyE2285 said:
In other news, Phil Spencer is a liar
Lol wut? How is he a liar?
British Legends
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:20
It will be many many years before in home hardware will be entirely replaced with distributed gaming. Significant parts of the world still either don't have stable internet access or ~10mb speeds. I think I will always want to own the physical hardware when I game.
KJer25
KJer25
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:21
ZaidLVDon said:
It crazy how much hate Xbox gets for anything but Sony CEO can say console gaming is a niche market and don't know if PS5 will be there last console and it ok.
Man, this is so true. But Sony is top dog for now, so they are gonna get the benefit of the doubt.
Blue n Gold Eel
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:36, Edited on 14 June 19 at 13:37 by Blue n Gold Eel
I will support MS for as long as they provide 2 things...

1) a console
2) physical media

If one of the above is no longer available, then my support for MS will be no longer available.
What's a twip? something a wabbit is on when he wides on a twain - Elmer Fudd.
Woolyguy24
Woolyguy24
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:43
In other news, chances Microsoft pulls off some enticing first party titles this coming November at XO 2019? Chances...………………………...slim. Seriously who cares about playing games on a different streaming service? I mean who really needs to play that Gears 5, or Ori 16 hrs a day, 168 hours a week, 365 days a year? I do not know not one XBOX gamer who ask for this. Most XBOX gamers want what I just listed.
Ahawk30
Seitzz
Seitzz
Posted on 14 June 19 at 13:43
Why would they ever stop making new consoles in the first place? If the tech is there to keep improving it, why wouldn't they?
TrueAssassin86x
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:00
Who gives a f about exclusives and 3rd party exclusives just give me games and i dont care what system i play on. If project Scarlett and Ps5 is anything to go by its all the same box. Leaving console wars pointless.
Xbox1,Switch,Ps4 Gamer.
Visions of Gore
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:19
ZaidLVDon said:
clapclap
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 14 June 19 at 15:54
Sony has been silent. No one knows what they're doing right now.

MS is making an effort to engage with their market. Spencer is working really really hard to undo the X1 launch fiasco.
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
Wiznyatt
Wiznyatt
Posted on 14 June 19 at 17:08
Look, all this streaming crap is NOT a suitable replacement for a console. As long as the internet continues to be limited by data caps and terrible speeds not to mention insane monopolization in some parts of the US, too many people who don't have stable internet will be left behind. This reminds me a little of when Microsoft initially said that the Xbox One would need to have an "always on" internet connection and it was part of the reason why they are still trying to catch up to Sony today.

In fairness I think Microsoft is approaching the next generation with a lot of goodwill. I'm a little worried that the armor is getting a little chinky with backward compatibility but we'll see if they can deliver.
CHAOTIC IZUAL
CHAOTIC IZUAL
Posted on 14 June 19 at 17:40
Woolyguy24 said:
In other news, chances Microsoft pulls off some enticing first party titles this coming November at XO 2019? Chances...………………………...slim. Seriously who cares about playing games on a different streaming service? I mean who really needs to play that Gears 5, or Ori 16 hrs a day, 168 hours a week, 365 days a year? I do not know not one XBOX gamer who ask for this. Most XBOX gamers want what I just listed.
Im very interested in xcloud so theres one person for you and they just acquired new studios last year takes time to develop games I was impressed with how many they are gonna be ready to roll out leading up to next spring.
sugar is sweet lemons are sour spread your legs and feel my power :D
Shred Asics 13
Posted on 14 June 19 at 18:02
Streaming just sounds like an awful idea. Way to unreliable for many people.
JBX7I
JBX7I
Posted on 14 June 19 at 22:59
Sashamorning said:

MS is making an effort to engage with their market. Spencer is working really really hard to undo the X1 launch fiasco.
Sony doesn't really need a reason not to be silent. They obviously have hardware thats gonna be comparable to Scarlett, not to mention any of their exclusives will blow MS out of the water and the fact that the PS4 has killed it the last 6 years. I don't think they have anything to worry about right now.
Yummy Baklava
Yummy Baklava
Posted on 15 June 19 at 04:04
Seitzz said:
Why would they ever stop making new consoles in the first place? If the tech is there to keep improving it, why wouldn't they?
Spending billions to be outsold by what many believe is almost 3:1, or spend the minimum amount of money for a new console, average at best and spend the big bucks on streaming.

Look at Nintendo. Their consoles do less in terms of power but the games speak for themselves. With the ability to stream, Microsoft can pick up far more casual gamers than the hardcore ones they lost.
S P 4 C E Y
S P 4 C E Y
Posted on 15 June 19 at 18:44
JBX7I said:
Sashamorning said:

Sony doesn't really need a reason not to be silent. They obviously have hardware thats gonna be comparable to Scarlett, not to mention any of their exclusives will blow MS out of the water and the fact that the PS4 has killed it the last 6 years. I don't think they have anything to worry about right now.
Past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

If it was, Kodak, Nokia, Blockbuster, JCPenney, Pan Am, Yahoo, MySpace, and the East India Company would be ruling the world.

They're not.
Category 3D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 15 June 19 at 19:06, Edited on 15 June 19 at 19:07 by Sashamorning
S P 4 C E Y said:
JBX7I said:
Sashamorning said:

Past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

If it was, Kodak, Nokia, Blockbuster, JCPenney, Pan Am, Yahoo, MySpace, and the East India Company would be ruling the world.

They're not.
Exactly. But I wasn't just talking about being quiet with relation to Xbox, I mean they've been quiet in general. That's not a great way to stay in people's minds. Skipping E3 was really weird.

In advertising, it's important to maintain a public identity. Coca-Cola is going to sell mad amounts of soda, but they still have baseline advertising just to keep public goodwill rolling. It's very odd for Sony to not even make an appearance, even if only to say "we love you, PS fans!"
Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
I ASK NO ONE
I ASK NO ONE
Posted on 17 June 19 at 20:08
Well that's good news I guess. It's likely eventually u will need several consoles to cover all ur digital games purchased.
I ASK NO ONE
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.