Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Phil Spencer Clarifies Project Scarlett Backward Compatibility... Again

AuthorMessage
punkyliar
175,212
punkyliar
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:00
Maybe not every game players own digitally

Please click here to read the story: Phil Spencer Clarifies Project Scarlett Backward Compatibility... Again
Seitzz
596,441
Seitzz
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:06
Bring back GFWL!
oxitran
210,480
oxitran
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:09, Edited on 14 June 19 at 14:10 by oxitran
Hard to trust the company that:
-just let tales from the borderlands get delisted.
-has let almost all wp games get delisted.
-has let GFWL games die.
-has no forza games other than horizon one on back compat.
-has no pgr or back compat.
-up until about a week ago, had let region restrictions screw millions of us out of dozens of xbox 360 games with gold games and sales.

Sorry, but you guys have a lot left to fix, and a lot left to make up for before you can be trusted.
TrueAssassin86x
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:16
Anyone talking s about xbox why you all on this site ? Feel free to leave.
Xbox1,Switch,Ps4 Gamer.
oxitran
210,480
oxitran
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:17
TrueAssassin86x said:
Anyone talking s about xbox why you all on this site ? Feel free to leave.
Trolling right? We can talk shit all we want. Microsoft doesn't own the website.
to the world you are one person, to one person you are the world.
MatadorBID
66,418
MatadorBID
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:19, Edited on 14 June 19 at 14:19 by MatadorBID
I don't see how that's any different than what he said before. Anything you can buy digitally right now is BC.
Rip and tear, until it is done.
TrueAssassin86x
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:20
oxitran said:
Hard to trust the company that:
-just let tales from the borderlands get delisted.
Take it up with talltell not xbox.

-has let almost all wp games get delisted.
-has let GFWL games die.
-has no forza games other than horizon one on back compat.
Do people still play the old Forza games ?

-has no pgr or back compat.
(think you mean has no prg on back compat

-up until about a week ago, had let region restrictions screw millions of us out of dozens of xbox 360 games with gold games and sales.
Im glad Xbox fixed the region thing.

Sorry, but you guys have a lot left to fix, and a lot left to make up for before you can be trusted.
Xbox1,Switch,Ps4 Gamer.
Glasgow Guy
199,360
Glasgow Guy
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:23
I thought the main issue with the XB1 approach to back.compat. was the recompiling of the source code

If the historic console was being emulated at a system level on Scarlett there would be no need to recompile the source code; the T&C for all games forbid any reverse engineering / tampering with the code; if it was as straight forward as inserting a disc and just working on a console emulator there would be no issues with licensing as the game has already been bought

I was hoping with next gen the console would be powerful enough to run an emulator at a system level rather then on a per title basis, at least for OG Xbox & 360 titles
dlCHIEF58
374,854
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:23
oxitran said:
Hard to trust the company that:
-just let tales from the borderlands get delisted.
-has let almost all wp games get delisted.
-has let GFWL games die.
-has no forza games other than horizon one on back compat.
-has no pgr or back compat.
-up until about a week ago, had let region restrictions screw millions of us out of dozens of xbox 360 games with gold games and sales.

Sorry, but you guys have a lot left to fix, and a lot left to make up for before you can be trusted.
1) Microsoft has no control over the licensing of third party software, much less one that has gone bankrupt.
2) Windows Phone is dead - was a mistake to even attempt this, nothing but a waste of resources and money
3) GFWL died too and was a half-assed effort that which the PC community did not support.
4) Licensing - we are lucky we even got that game before the licensing expired leading to it being de-listed
5) See above (licensing)

Most of your rant is laughable, not to mention the majority of it either happened long before Phil took command or were things Microsoft has absolutely no control over.
upsonmatthew
329,621
upsonmatthew
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:27
I always assumed it was only going to be Xbox and XB360 games that are already in the BC program and not everything that hasn't been done yet. That's unrealistic. I do expect them to go back to adding new XB/XB360 games like Condemned 2 after the Scarlett is out though (hopefully) where they can.
SwordofWhedon
689,406
SwordofWhedon
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:33
I do licensing work professionally

That’s not what he’s talking about

What he means is, that even well into the 360 era contracts were being signed short term, and they were often, physical, paper contracts without an electronic counterpart, that many times get misplaced in stuidio bankruptcies, change of ownership etc

Until they make sure all the IP (music, a movie license, textures and third party created set dressing like tables, chairs, bushes, trees etc etc) are cleared, they can’t do the game. It’s not about what you know,it’s what you can prove

In the DVD era, especially with TV, they did not include “formats yet to be created” in contracts as a rule. They’d specify vhs and laserdisc. So for example they’d only license The Who song on CSI for repeats on TV, not for home video. This can get very expensive. For example Las Vegas had t use the international opening because otherwise they’d have to pay Elvis 24 times for a very expensive song.

So virtually all the music you see today in a movie has had new blanket and futureproof licenses renewed since the late 90s

I guarantee you the vast, vast majority of Xbox One games are cleared into the future as far as music goes. Obviously there are timed licenses you won’t surmount without ponying up.

Just remember, that that figure also has to make sense. If you’re going to have to pay a quarter million dollars on some indie game from XBLA to reup, probably not happening
dlCHIEF58
374,854
dlCHIEF58
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:34
Glasgow Guy said:
I thought the main issue with the XB1 approach to back.compat. was the recompiling of the source code

If the historic console was being emulated at a system level on Scarlett there would be no need to recompile the source code; the T&C for all games forbid any reverse engineering / tampering with the code; if it was as straight forward as inserting a disc and just working on a console emulator there would be no issues with licensing as the game has already been bought

I was hoping with next gen the console would be powerful enough to run an emulator at a system level rather then on a per title basis, at least for OG Xbox & 360 titles
You are mistaken, they do not recompile the games - they are emulated, big difference. Licensing ahs always been the biggest hurdle for the way they approached it.

You are partially right here, a system level emulator would negate the need for any permission or relicensing....on disc. However this would not apply to old, digital titles - the permission and relicensing was needed because these games were never licensed for release/distribution on the newer consoles. Looks like Microsoft is altering their licensing to make this less of an issue going forward from Phil's comments here. So it would make nearly every original Xbox game playable (since they were no digital releases except for select DLC) but you'd still have issues with any digital 360 title.
aphexbr
80,785
aphexbr
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:35
oxitran said:
have a lot left to fix, and a lot left to make up for before you can be trusted.
The problem is that everything you're talking about is to do with licensing and the fact that it would be illegal for them to continue selling games that have expired/revoked licenses. Are you expecting them to change the law single-handedly, or are you under the illusion that Sony and Nintendo don't have to follow the same rules?

upsonmatthew said:
I always assumed it was only going to be Xbox and XB360 games that are already in the BC program and not everything that hasn't been done yet.
There was kind of a vague hope that they would be able to offer a 100% functional emulator that would allow people to just use their discs. If that could be done instead of having to download an emulated version of each game, that would bypass the need for individual licences. But, I understand if this isn't the way they want to for for XBox and 360.
MaurickShepherd
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:45
With what's happening to TellTale games, that is why I will always pursue a hard copy over a digital one. You can't lose what's on a disc, whereas when my internet hiccups my digital copies don't work.

As long as Microsoft continue to provide ways to play physical copies of games, I'm happy with staying with them.
mkdfan
583,738
mkdfan
Posted on 14 June 19 at 14:52
The music stuff is probably why we never got GTA3 and Vice City back compat.
The old rules certainly screwed us over.
Kanchanaburi
972,229
Kanchanaburi
Posted on 14 June 19 at 15:00
dlCHIEF58 said:
oxitran said:
Hard to trust the company that:
-just let tales from the borderlands get delisted.
-has let almost all wp games get delisted.
-has let GFWL games die.
-has no forza games other than horizon one on back compat.
-has no pgr or back compat.
-up until about a week ago, had let region restrictions screw millions of us out of dozens of xbox 360 games with gold games and sales.

Sorry, but you guys have a lot left to fix, and a lot left to make up for before you can be trusted.
1) Microsoft has no control over the licensing of third party software, much less one that has gone bankrupt.
2) Windows Phone is dead - was a mistake to even attempt this, nothing but a waste of resources and money
3) GFWL died too and was a half-assed effort that which the PC community did not support.
4) Licensing - we are lucky we even got that game before the licensing expired leading to it being de-listed
5) See above (licensing)

Most of your rant is laughable, not to mention the majority of it either happened long before Phil took command or were things Microsoft has absolutely no control over.
You're on point. It is annoying that people make comments when they don't know all the facts, which of course breeds more negativity. Nothing in life is meant to last forever, and the fact that Microsoft attempted to allow people more life from most of their games is amazing. I am sorry, but if people are going to be sad about a delisted technology (WP)... oh I don't know... it's just sad.

Don't worry, be happy.... oooo wooo ooo woooo
SweetArkhane
528,190
SweetArkhane
Posted on 14 June 19 at 15:00
mkdfan1990 said:
The music stuff is probably why we never got GTA3 and Vice City back compat.
The old rules certainly screwed us over.
GTA IV is back compat, so maybe one day.
ShootZombies
231,608
ShootZombies
Posted on 14 June 19 at 15:02
I hope they keep expanding the BC program, 90% of what I play nowadays has ended up being the BC games or remasters of classic games.

Spent hours upon hours playing 'Full Spectrum Warrior' on the Xbox One as I missed it when it was originally released.
I loved 'Voodoo Vince Remastered' another classic I missed at the time.
Relived great Dreamcast memories with Shenmue 1 and 2.
And Just finished 'Thief Deadly Shadows' using really bad BC on the 360... Can't wait to start all four original Splinter Cells on the Xbox One!!!

If they continue to expand the BC and remember to include the Original Xbox games in there (some are genuine classics). I'm all over Project Scarlett!!!
xLsWx
807,306
xLsWx
Posted on 14 June 19 at 15:13
All this mentioning of Tell Tale that has nothing to with MS its a simple law of recievership - products cannot be marketed sold, without being rebought by a third party - some of these rants are laughable
billbillbill
593,273
billbillbill
Posted on 14 June 19 at 15:13
SwordofWhedon said:
I do licensing work professionally

That’s not what he’s talking about

What he means is, that even well into the 360 era contracts were being signed short term, and they were often, physical, paper contracts without an electronic counterpart, that many times get misplaced in stuidio bankruptcies, change of ownership etc

Until they make sure all the IP (music, a movie license, textures and third party created set dressing like tables, chairs, bushes, trees etc etc) are cleared, they can’t do the game. It’s not about what you know,it’s what you can prove

In the DVD era, especially with TV, they did not include “formats yet to be created” in contracts as a rule. They’d specify vhs and laserdisc. So for example they’d only license The Who song on CSI for repeats on TV, not for home video. This can get very expensive. For example Las Vegas had t use the international opening because otherwise they’d have to pay Elvis 24 times for a very expensive song.

So virtually all the music you see today in a movie has had new blanket and futureproof licenses renewed since the late 90s

I guarantee you the vast, vast majority of Xbox One games are cleared into the future as far as music goes. Obviously there are timed licenses you won’t surmount without ponying up.

Just remember, that that figure also has to make sense. If you’re going to have to pay a quarter million dollars on some indie game from XBLA to reup, probably not happening
^^This. This. A little more o' this.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.