Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Square Enix is Considering Their Own Subscription Service

AuthorMessage
DamnSilly
DamnSilly
Posted on 14 June 19 at 18:25
Would you consider it?

Please click here to read the story: Square Enix is Considering Their Own Subscription Service
ZxReaperXx
ZxReaperXx
Posted on 14 June 19 at 18:28
soon every game studio will have a subscription
ZxReaperXx
sonicfreak1986
Posted on 14 June 19 at 18:43
Not surprising roll
sonicfreak1986
snake42069
snake42069
Posted on 14 June 19 at 18:53
this is exactly why i dont use netflix/hulu and whatnot. i just buy the season pass for a show im watching and binge when it is over, or i wait until the season is out on dvd and buy the digital rights to it on vudu.

its a little more money, but at least i dont need a dozen different subscriptions to watch all the shows i like.
Sol76
Sol76
Posted on 14 June 19 at 18:55
GREAT !!!!! Finally one i’m not interested in clap
pezboyben
pezboyben
Posted on 14 June 19 at 18:58
It's getting a bit out of control. Next up Ratalaika streaming service.
AZChristopher
AZChristopher
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:01
snake42069 said:
this is exactly why i dont use netflix/hulu and whatnot. i just buy the season pass for a show im watching and binge when it is over, or i wait until the season is out on dvd and buy the digital rights to it on vudu.

its a little more money, but at least i dont need a dozen different subscriptions to watch all the shows i like.
Streaming services make it easy to subscribe/cancel/take a break. It isn’t hard to watch what you want on Hulu and then cancel until their next original content that you want to watch.

I wouldn’t subscribe to Square since they ignore Xbox for too many of their games but I do like the idea of subscriptions in general. The ones that succeed have to keep giving you content in order to keep you paying each month.
onsamyj
onsamyj
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:04
Games published by Square Enix

If you already have Game Pass that have a bunch of SE games on it, how much this whole catalog worth to you? A couple of bucks? 5? 10 is pushing it, IMO.

At this point, subscription from any publisher should be very good and cheap, otherwise, it’s not worth it to me. Not even because of money, but because of time: I already can’t play everything I want, so getting another subscription, even for a month, feels wasteful.
XbAndy360
XbAndy360
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:06
Who will be the next one?
Maybe the Slightly Mad Studios is also considering their own subscription service, called MadSub.
I could imagine the ceo's sms: What is the MadSub? It's the most powerful service ever built... It's literally 'Mad'... You want 4k, you want VR at 60FPS? You have it.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:08
I’m very interested to see the future of this. If a company has their own subscription service then I’d assume they’d be less willing to send a game to GWG or put it on gamepass so they value of those two things goes down.

Would this effect sales? The latest Tomb Raider hit a significant sale very quickly. Would companies hold off putting a game on sale to promote their subscription service?
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:09
pezboyben said:
It's getting a bit out of control. Next up Ratalaika streaming service.
At least you could finish their entire inventory in under 3 hourslaugh
J2B9
J2B9
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:10
It seems it might go the way of movies/tv. First with Netflix but then studios realizing they want it for themselves instead of giving their properties to another platform. You get Hulu, Amazon prime, hbo. But the it goes even further with literally everyone doing their own thing CBS all access, DCUniverse, Apple TV+, Disney+, WarnerMedia, etc.

Right now Gamepass and Ea access on consoles. If Ubisoft one comes to console, then a Square Enix, Activision, Bethesda, etc. It’ll be ridiculous.
Dakrkplayer2
Dakrkplayer2
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:14
Oh think every company having one will hurt some them in long run. And then they will in the end. Just have few platforms a user can sign up. And just played any game is out the market. It going throw growing pain right now. But in the end. The digital modal be simluar one now. There a platform a use can pick. And get all the game they want. I se it will soon happen with TV shows and movies. There going be a dip in the market. But not a crash. And it will make the that market only have few platforms. And not like 100's of them.
XBOX 4 LIFE
AZChristopher
AZChristopher
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:20
J2B9 said:
It seems it might go the way of movies/tv. First with Netflix but then studios realizing they want it for themselves instead of giving their properties to another platform. You get Hulu, Amazon prime, hbo. But the it goes even further with literally everyone doing their own thing CBS all access, DCUniverse, Apple TV+, Disney+, WarnerMedia, etc.

Right now Gamepass and Ea access on consoles. If Ubisoft one comes to console, then a Square Enix, Activision, Bethesda, etc. It’ll be ridiculous.
I’d be pretty happy with a Gamepass that was mostly Microsoft and Indies.

One of the cool things about Netflix is the inclusion of independent movies from all over the world every month.
Gerbasgamer
Gerbasgamer
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:24
That would be pretty bad for Game Pass. Quite a few Square Enix games on there.
SwordofWhedon
SwordofWhedon
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:32
The next five years are going to be terrible as content is removed from the big services while everyone thinks they can make a financially successful one on their own. A few will survive, the rest will figure out that riding someone else’s tale for a nominal fee like EA Access isn’t such a bad thing
Splynta
Splynta
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:38
Square enix seem to be constantly making bad decisions and jumping on the bandwagon instead of thinking ahead. They could do with focusing on getting a few hits out as they are relying on their past titles atm.

I just don't see a subscription service for just their games doing very well. It woud fully depend on the price, but i can't see them doing it dirt cheap.
Peaches 518
Peaches 518
Posted on 14 June 19 at 19:59
onsamyj said:
Games published by Square Enix

If you already have Game Pass that have a bunch of SE games on it, how much this whole catalog worth to you? A couple of bucks? 5? 10 is pushing it, IMO.

At this point, subscription from any publisher should be very good and cheap, otherwise, it’s not worth it to me. Not even because of money, but because of time: I already can’t play everything I want, so getting another subscription, even for a month, feels wasteful.
You'd probably see those games taken off Game Pass.
ButtersTwoBears
Posted on 14 June 19 at 20:44
The subscription model has put a hault on my transition to all digital. If a subscription or studio etc. shuts down I'm worried I would lose access with no chance to get it again. I respect the idea of subscription models but I can go months on only one game some times. I know myself well enough to know I won't cancel any and continue to pay for what I'm not using because I might the next day.
Born Ugly. Been Ugly. Stay Ugly.
Seitzz
Seitzz
Posted on 14 June 19 at 20:48
Tomb Raider is the only game I play from them, and I own them all
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.