Game Discussion: Guacamelee! 2 Forum

Glitch to begin with a strong, fit Juan

AuthorMessage
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 15 June 19 at 02:07, Edited on 15 June 19 at 02:17 by MathGuy42
Wish Juan hadn't gotten out of shape? Now you can play Guacamelee! 2 starting with full health, full stamina, and all human powers. And you can still add more health and stamina, making Juan stronger than intended. The human powers include all human special moves, Eagle Shot, and dimension swap. Unfortunately, you will have to gain your chicken powers through normal gameplay. You will also need to earn your trainer skill tree as usual.

The glitch works especially well if you've already completed The Proving Grounds on a previous run. That allows you to play as Salvador. He's very strong with slow stamina regen. But starting with extra stamina pretty much negates that weakness.

The method is known as the Select Door Glitch (SDG). I did not discover this glitch, but stumbled upon it while looking at a speed run video. There's a written tutorial below, but here's a tutorial video by Bagel_Thief. The video is for the first game, but the procedure has even better results for the second. You can see it done in this Guacamelee 2 speed run, but it goes by pretty fast.

The written tutorial will have some minor spoilers for the early game.

Tutorial (Tested on OG Xbox One, Xbox One X, and Windows 10)
1. You will need 2 open save slots.
2. Start a new game in slot 1. It can be either Normal or Hard.
3. Play the start of the game as usual until you get to the church in town. The glitch occurs at the door of the Pueblucho church as you enter for the first time.

4. Press Back cn_back and then almost immediately press Up on the D-Pad. You will probably need to attempt Step 4 multiple times. The button presses are quick, but not simultaneous.
a. If you were successful, you will be at the map and the time will continue to increase.
b. If you were unsuccessful, you will be in the map with a stopped clock, or be in the church. Press cn_B if needed to exit the map and Up if needed to exit the church. Then try Step 4 again.

5. Press Start cn_start. You should see a menu overlaid with the inside of the church.
6. With Options selected, press cn_A to enter the Options submenu. Juan will jump.
7. Press cn_B to back out. You should then see the Main Menu overlaid on the inside of the church.
8. With Start selected, press cn_A. You should see the save slots.
9. Press Down to get to the second slot, then cn_A to start a new game. Select the same difficulty that you started with.
10. The Previously in Guacamelee text will appear. Press Start [cn_Start] to pause.
11. Scroll down to select Quit and press cn_A. Say Yes you want to quit, and press cn_A.

12. You are now back in your original game at the church, but with 12 stamina, huge health, and all human powers. You've transferred Juan's abilities from 7 years ago!

Suggestions to play with the glitch
You could follow the speed run video to finish as quickly as possible. However, I don't know how this will affect earning achievements. Also, I only did this glitch for Hard mode, but I expect the story related achievements will unlock fine. I can't guarantee it though. Anyway, I make these suggestions:

1. Follow the waypoints on the map on where to go next. With your powers, you may be able to skip some waypoints, but this could cause you to skip achievements. And the story is fun.

2. Go to Tostada in Los Manglares as intended so she can kill you. Otherwise, you will keep switching back to the old Juan costume. The graphical glitches are amusing at first, but not helpful. And you probably want to be Salvador if possible.

3. Don't use Quit until you've done the following. When you get to the first Save shrine, Force Quit the game via the Dashboard. Now you can play the game with the shrines and costumes acting normally. If you try to use Quit from the menu before you do this Force Quit, you'll go back to earlier in the game. Also death may send you back unexpectedly. You won't need to use Force Quit any more, everything should work normally. You'll be using the second save slot.

4. Some early encounters won't happen properly if you are in the wrong dimension. For example, you should be in the Dead dimension when you first enter the Council tree. If the story does not progress normally (that is, the waypoint does not move), then try exiting the tree, swap dimensions, and reenter. Also, some trainers will only appear in one dimension or the other.

5. It does no harm to relearn the human special moves.

6. Since you have all human special moves, you can clear out rooms and areas early. In particular, the Badlands can be mostly cleared out before the death walls appear.

7. You can add health and stamina as usual. If I recall correctly, you can get up to 18 Stamina and health bar so large it spills into Player 2.

Let me know if you have any questions.
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 15 June 19 at 09:41
Nice! Hope this isn't patched any time soon
Dark Sonic X6
Dark Sonic X6
Posted on 16 June 19 at 10:02
Good! I hope it works until I come back home.
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 17 June 19 at 23:08
Woooooooow. I just did it. This glitch was so cool haha.

Heads up to anyone who wants to start with Hard Mode and the Glitch at the start of the game.

cn_upcn_upcn_downcn_downcn_leftcn_rightcn_leftcn_rightcn_Ycn_Ycn_back on the main menu will Unlock Hard Mode without beating the game.
Dark AssassinFA
Posted on 18 June 19 at 04:50
tested 6/18/2019 - still works :)
Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato
NBA Kirkland
NBA Kirkland
Posted on 23 June 19 at 20:10, Edited on 23 June 19 at 20:33 by NBA Kirkland
Trying this on my 2nd playthrough on hard, but now I can't progress the story.
I just got the Jade Relic and now my objective is "Return to the Council with the Jade Relic". It is marked on the map as it should be, but when I get to the council they don't recognize I have the relic. The dude says, "Quickly, Juan! To the Jade Temple! Time is of the essence!"
I tried swapping dimensions in and out of the council room, but no luck. Tried quitting and reloading too.

Update: I had to get the pollo shot first before returning to the Council. And then it worked.
@NBAKirkland
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 23 June 19 at 20:59
NBA Kirkland said:
Update: I had to get the pollo shot first before returning to the Council. And then it worked.
Thanks. Good to know. Having all the human abilities does allow you to skip some early parts and can mess up the waypoints.

If I recall correctly, on my Hard playthrough I never did properly learn to change dimensions. I must have skipped over that part of the story. It didn't keep me from unlocking the Hard achievement though. Probably the only thing necessary to trigger than achievement is beating Salvador on the Hard difficulty.
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 23 June 19 at 22:12
So I just screwed up on PS4 and really broke the game lol.

After successfully doing the glitch and triggering the save just close the game don't do anything else lol

You can send yourself back to outside the church and all backgrounds will be black or checkerboard. Also all movement will blur the scene as it leaves endless copies of Juan as you move.

Fun to play around with but the auto saves will screw up your file and cause you to need to redo the glitch. You also won't be able to quit either you'll have to force it closed
Mister Buds
Mister Buds
Posted on 03 July 19 at 00:44
Just a post to confirm I used the glitch at the start and did a 100% playthrough on Hard difficulty. All achievements unlocked fine.
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz
Posted on 03 July 19 at 18:21
I just finished my 100% normal playthrough. 2 questions. You mention 2 save slots, does it literally have to be save slot 1 and 2 or can i leave my normal save and use slot 2 and 3? Sec9nd question with regards to using Salvador, do i need to first 100% the dlc to use him and or make sure i do it all on my normal completed save file or do i just need to simply have the dlc?
Matthew
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 03 July 19 at 18:36
zDrUnKeNMoNkEyz said:
I just finished my 100% normal playthrough. 2 questions. You mention 2 save slots, does it literally have to be save slot 1 and 2 or can i leave my normal save and use slot 2 and 3? Sec9nd question with regards to using Salvador, do i need to first 100% the dlc to use him and or make sure i do it all on my normal completed save file or do i just need to simply have the dlc?
You can keep your Normal save. So you can use Slots 2 and 3 instead. After you get the glitch going and do the Force Quit, you can just load up the save with more time on it.

Unfortunately, you do have to 100% the Proving Grounds to unlock Salvador. Fortunately, you can do that on your Normal save, and then he'll be available at the first shrine on your Hard playthrough. A few of the Proving Ground challenges are much easier if you have Infinite Pollo, and a few are probably easier on Normal anyway. So I'd get all Golds on the Proving Grounds first.

The other Proving Grounds characters also need to be unlocked, but you just need one Gold on one of their three challenges.

The Three Enimigos are available as soon you purchase the DLC, but I don't see a big advantage of any of them, unless they really fit your playstyle.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.