Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

An EA Representative on Loot Boxes: "Quite Ethical, Quite Fun, Quite Enjoyable"

AuthorMessage
punkyliar
punkyliar
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:40
Loot boxes are like Kinder Eggs

Please click here to read the story: An EA Representative on Loot Boxes: "Quite Ethical, Quite Fun, Quite Enjoyable"
DucKy BaBy
DucKy BaBy
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:45
The fights not over! If the government won't hold these greedy insidious corporations to account, we will have to! Keep up the pressure at all costs and don't let the sycophants belittle you!
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:47
"Surprise mechanics". Wow, you can't make this stuff up laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Tendoman77
Tendoman77
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:48
*flips the bird at how seriously stupid and dumb EA are*

Sorry, had to.
Dakrkplayer2
Dakrkplayer2
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:50
And those same kids. Never see what whole video game world can offer. A great story. Take you to a great imaginable world.
XBOX 4 LIFE
T0NY HAYABUSA
T0NY HAYABUSA
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:57
I love how other companies jump on the loot box band wagon too
Solo Wing 82
Solo Wing 82
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:58
if I would say here what I think of lootboxes, I would probably get banned
human teleportation, molecular decimation, breakdown and reformation is inherently purging, it makes a man a king
james765
james765
Posted on 20 June 19 at 14:58
honestly don't get the outrage over lootboxes. I don't buy them, I will never pay loads of money for cosmetics. Games like fifa where I assume your trying to unlock players who may be better is a bit different imo but as much as I hate fortnite they should be allowed to sell lootboxes without the gov jumping down their throats. It isn't gambling and players have a right to decide what they want to spend their money on. Its unfortunate if some have such an addictive personality that they start buying lootboxes and then cant stop themselves always hopeing that rare item will be in the next one they buy but its impossible to ban something simply for that reason otherwise next we mind as well ban actual gambling like loto tickets and scratch cards as its simply the same concept the next ticket could always be the winner.
MassiveAssault5
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:02
Yeah comparing a loot box (which costs between $5-$60 or more) to something like Hatchimals or Kinder where you can get one for less than a dollar to a little over a dollar is the greatest false equivalency I have ever seen. Not to mention, these items are all intangible and do not exist outside the game itself. The only "fun" thing about microtransactions is how "fun" it is for game developers to take more money from you after you've purchased their game. It's getting ridiculous at this point.
R3f1CuL
R3f1CuL
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:05
These people are just disgusting. Reminds me of big tobacco in the 50's & 60's. Sure our thing isn't cancerous, please give us your money, we are the good guys, look how cool and fun our thing is!!!! Everytime I picture one of these people talking about garbage like this i can't help but get the mental image of a slimy, scaly little creature with dollar signs in their eyes that drool every time a single penny hits in front of them lol.
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:06
Loot boxes aren't bad. They don't lead to gambling. They are, as I have been saying for awhile, very similar to kinder eggs, and the baseball or football pack of cards you buy not knowing which cards inside, where there is a chance you get a double card. Is anyone saying this is why adults of today gamble because of their baseball card collection of decades ago?

If people don't want to buy them, then DO NOT BUY THEM. I made it to level 100 on Apex with only purchasing the battlepass, no skins or boxes. It's called will power. And if you want to blame someone else because of your lack of self control, or blame a company because a parent isn't full aware of what their child is buying, then you really need to look inside yourself and see why this is happening.
tuhin94
tuhin94
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:07
The quotes from EA sound like something that would be used for an Onion article.
Regards, Tuhin
TheTailsEffect
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:17
The problem isn't the money you pay, or what you get. It's the loot boxes existing in the first place. Feel like since their inception they have contributed to a culture of average-ness from EA, like they're OK only putting half the work in required for a AAA title, but that's fine because they'll make up the lost profit/more from the loot boxes.

It's a stretch and I know it won't be the sole factor, but by buying into microtransactions we're hurting the gaming industry at large. We want innovation, smooth releases, and bug-free builds, and loot boxes go some way to stifling this. As long as they're included, EA can get away with cutting corners.
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:19
comparing them to toys like Kinder Eggs, Hatchimals, and LOL Surprise where the children don't know what they're getting until they open the box.
To be fair, I think they're exactly right about this comparison. I don't think that speaks to whether or not it's ethical, but there's no conceptual difference between buying a package from the store without knowing whether what you're going to get is a common item you already have, or a rare item you really want, vs. doing the same thing digitally with lootboxes.

For that matter, you could take the comparison back to the old days of baseball cards and collectible card games... when I bought a pack from the store, I didn't know if it contained a Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card, or just a bunch of random players I didn't know.

The difference here, of course, is that players feel compelled to buy the lootboxes if it gives them some advantage in the game. I don't have a problem with cosmetic lootboxes that just change the character's look without impacting game mechanics, but I don't like the ones that compel you to buy lootboxes in order to have a chance at an in-game advantage over other players (or to maintain an equal footing because others have already won those items).
romo7816
romo7816
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:22
Kanchanaburi said:
Loot boxes aren't bad. They don't lead to gambling. They are, as I have been saying for awhile, very similar to kinder eggs, and the baseball or football pack of cards you buy not knowing which cards inside, where there is a chance you get a double card. Is anyone saying this is why adults of today gamble because of their baseball card collection of decades ago?

If people don't want to buy them, then DO NOT BUY THEM. I made it to level 100 on Apex with only purchasing the battlepass, no skins or boxes. It's called will power. And if you want to blame someone else because of your lack of self control, or blame a company because a parent isn't full aware of what their child is buying, then you really need to look inside yourself and see why this is happening.
Your comparison to a pack of football cards is completely wrong and not even close to loot boxes. If i get a card double, I can sell that card to recoup some, all, or even more of the price of that pack. Whereas loot boxes have zero resale value monetary wise. If I get the same shirt color I cannot recoup my cost of the loot box price.
A 2rue Boofer
A 2rue Boofer
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:24
I don't know why everyone hates on them, I'm like most of you, I don't buy them; however, other people do and it has increased an additional revenue source for publishers allowing them to continue making games. Game development is very expensive and they needed this extra source to inject new money into the scene. I don't care for loot boxes but I've never played a game where I need to buy it in order to complete the game. Everyone here is a little dramatic as if they've been personally victimized by loot boxes lol.
Crater Bob
Crater Bob
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:25
Tendoman77 said:
*flips the bird at how seriously stupid and dumb EA are*

Sorry, had to.
I'll be flipping one bird at EA for that crap excuse, and one at TA for helping to spread that crap excuse, shame on you TA. warning
Gatekeeper 3-6 off your starboard wing, turn to 2-2-0 and drop to angels two or you will be fired upon!
ManicMetalhead
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:35
tuhin94 said:
The quotes from EA sound like something that would be used for an Onion article.
This was my first thought as well. They've beaten the Onion to their own story.
Snakes (https://www.instagram.com/medway_menagerie) & Bakes (https://www.instagram.com/bananabeanbakery)
xPut Name Herex
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:36
BetaSigX20 said:
comparing them to toys like Kinder Eggs, Hatchimals, and LOL Surprise where the children don't know what they're getting until they open the box.
To be fair, I think they're exactly right about this comparison. I don't think that speaks to whether or not it's ethical, but there's no conceptual difference between buying a package from the store without knowing whether what you're going to get is a common item you already have, or a rare item you really want, vs. doing the same thing digitally with lootboxes.

For that matter, you could take the comparison back to the old days of baseball cards and collectible card games... when I bought a pack from the store, I didn't know if it contained a Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card, or just a bunch of random players I didn't know.

The difference here, of course, is that players feel compelled to buy the lootboxes if it gives them some advantage in the game. I don't have a problem with cosmetic lootboxes that just change the character's look without impacting game mechanics, but I don't like the ones that compel you to buy lootboxes in order to have a chance at an in-game advantage over other players (or to maintain an equal footing because others have already won those items).
I think one of the primary issues that could separate lootboxes from the already legal trading cards of the world is that the creator of the lootbox is linked to the value of the goods coming out of the lootbox through other in-game measures. For instance, trading card games like Pokemon or Magic The Gathering rarely have their legality questioned because, outside of publishing the packs, the publishers technically have no further involvement in the value of cards on the secondary market (yes they can adjust rulesets, but the value of the card is changed as a result more of market dynamics between holders rather than directly from the publisher). For instance, they don't sell items that could be earned within the pack as individual cards (that I know of), and they certainly don't take a percentage of sales of the product.

Both of those tactics are applied within video games, with a significant portion of games offering "try your luck on this loot box for the item OR buy it directly for X currency!", or in games that allow trading (such as FIFA's Ultimate Team), taking a 5% or similar "tax" on the in-game currency used to trade. These actions, unlike the actions of physical surprise pack makers, explicitly show that video game publishers are involved in the after-market valuations of the goods they stuff into loot boxes, which may be an avenue that would make the traditional surprise packs still legal while forcing video game publishers to face additional scrutiny.

(My comment above is a rough recollection of a discussion I had elsewhere some time ago, so apologies if my explanation of the details is a bit off).
xPut Name Herex
Posted on 20 June 19 at 15:43
romo7816 said:
Kanchanaburi said:

Your comparison to a pack of football cards is completely wrong and not even close to loot boxes. If i get a card double, I can sell that card to recoup some, all, or even more of the price of that pack. Whereas loot boxes have zero resale value monetary wise. If I get the same shirt color I cannot recoup my cost of the loot box price.
Ironically, at least the way gambling is defined in the US (probably elsewhere, but can't say for certain), the fact that you can't resell the items actually makes the digital items more legal than the physical items. Gambling law requires the risking of something of value that with a certain event will return another something of value, and since you technically can't sell the loot box contents (the few games where you can aside), their value is inherently zero, legally speaking.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.