Game Discussion: Borderlands Forum

Order of playing games

AuthorMessage
napoearth
napoearth
Posted on 22 June 19 at 18:49
If I’ve never played anything in this series, should I play the Pre-sequel first, or third?
I like Texas 'cause Texas is the only state ballsy enough to have its own toast. - Mitch Hedberg
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 22 June 19 at 19:57
1, pre and then 2 i believe.
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 22 June 19 at 20:42
I would be glad to know this too. I’ve heard 1, 2 and prequel. Something about the pre-sequel referencing things from the second game. That’s just what I’ve been told, I haven’t played any of them either.
RayvenMorrigana
RayvenMorrigana
Posted on 23 June 19 at 16:37
1, 2, then pre. That's the order on which they were released so it's just logical to me that that's the order in which they should be played. As far as I can remember, pre has done references to characters from the second game but 2 doesn't reference to pre (because the game hasn't been made yet, so how could it?)
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 23 June 19 at 18:25
Its the pre sequel, as in before. Sure it came out after but ita got the bad guys back story from the second game in it... Or so i hear as i found it too boring to continue
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 23 June 19 at 22:57
I'm for playing them in release order, so that would be 1, 2, pre-sequel, tales from the borderlands, Commander Lillith DLC for 2 (XBO)
JungAndReckless
Posted on 24 June 19 at 00:05
I'd play them in order of release. It was designed for you to come to hate handsome jack but then sympathize with him afterwards in the pre-sequel. Also, IMO, 1 hasn't held up that well, and TPS is just bad, but 2 is an amazing game so I wouldn't want to wait too long, as you may get tired of the series.
DrSchlepenstein
Posted on 24 June 19 at 00:13
Borderlands 1 (all DLC)
Borderlands 2 (all DLC except Commander Lilith)
Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Tales from the Borderlands
Borderlands 2 Commander Lilith DLC
Borderlands 3 (releases in September)

Borderlands 1 is the first game, which then leads to the events of 2 and 2 will lead to the events of 3 and is referenced in all the other games (except 1 of course).

Pre-sequel actually takes place after 2, as a character from Borderlands 1 DLC is retelling the events between Borderlands 1 and 2 to the characters from Borderlands 2. And it explains a lot of why things and people are the way they are in 2.

Then Tales is a side story that comes after 2 that is centered on all new characters, but features characters from the previous games, and the main characters of Tales are going to be a part of Borderlands 3 and some of them are a part of the Commander Lilith DLC for Borderlands 2, which is why you should finish with the Lilith DLC as it's supposed to bring everything together for when 3 comes out.
napoearth
napoearth
Posted on 24 June 19 at 15:09
DrSchlepenstein said:
Borderlands 1 (all DLC)
Borderlands Pre-Sequel
This sounds reasonable. I'll go with this.
I like Texas 'cause Texas is the only state ballsy enough to have its own toast. - Mitch Hedberg
die Feuerwehr
die Feuerwehr
Posted on 25 July 19 at 08:54
napoearth said:
DrSchlepenstein said:
Borderlands 1 (all DLC)
Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Actually, The Pre-Sequel takes place after Bl1 and before Bl2, and is the story where Handsome Jack turns in to a mad(der)man.
\o/ Praise the sun!
DrSchlepenstein
Posted on 25 July 19 at 14:31
die Feuerwehr said:
napoearth said:
DrSchlepenstein said:
Borderlands 1 (all DLC)
Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Actually, The Pre-Sequel takes place after Bl1 and before Bl2, and is the story where Handsome Jack turns in to a mad(der)man.
In my original post, I said why I put it there in play order. As the game is essentially a flashback.

DrSchlepenstein said:
Pre-sequel actually takes place after 2, as a character from Borderlands 1 DLC is retelling the events between Borderlands 1 and 2 to the characters from Borderlands 2. And it explains a lot of why things and people are the way they are in 2.
Its why the game is called the Pre-Sequel as it comes before and after Borderlands 2. The opening and ending cutscenes of the game take place after Borderlands 2 (prior to the Lilith DLC) and everything else takes place before Borderlands 2. Its been a while since I played it, but I do remember that there is also narration from Athena at certain points in the game who is retelling the events to Lilith as you play through it.
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 25 July 19 at 15:43
^^ Yes, the events in TPS pre-date BL2, but they are narrated after BL2, so there are references to events in BL2 (like preparing you for them, or showing why they happened, that sort of thing) that you wouldn't understand if you hadn't played BL2
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.