Community Events Forum

Forum to discuss TrueAchievements Community Events

Disappointing GTASC Registration Requirements

AuthorMessage
Chob
Chob
Posted on 23 June 19 at 06:47, Edited on 23 June 19 at 06:54 by Chob
So, after skipping last year because of the lack of time and starting to feel that easy cheevos fatigue, it's no surprise that seeing this year's changes brought kind of new motivation to sign up.

But to make sure this time I wouldn't just slowly lose interest throughout the 52 weeks, I had a great idea: Why not playing with my friends? I have like 2, but they'd dig it for a while.

Thing is: they are "normies" and cheevos was always something they'd see the popup, but not necessarily care about it. Until I invited them and they were super happy.

Thing is, apparently they can't sign up because their account needs to be in good standing for 6 (SIX) months, really bringing down the smile that everyone had when thinking that we'd finally have an excuse to play together.

GTASC has great potential, but little value for people that see it for the first time. I cannot invite new friends to join the site because they wouldn't be able to participate.

10k Gamerscore is understandable, even if it was 10k TA would make more sense, meaning that the skill is also a bit involved. I think even 5k would be good for the more casual players

6 months in good standing is basically the same as having the account lurking for 6 months, one doesn't even need to use the site, just register and wait 6 months.
Isn't there an alternative to this? Like connect your socials, have that standing on other TGN site or even join TA Pro to be able to register? I know I'd convince them to buy pro for that.

I really hope the Staff/Organizers see this as an opportunity to bring more people to the site, instead of just an opportunity to see the community entertained and that these requirements are a bit outdated and could be loosened up a bit.

Thanks for your time
Living Legends
Posted on 23 June 19 at 22:01
I signed up just fine and post on occasion. Don't get in trouble or maybe you had an issue with the Investigation Team
aixla
aixla
Posted on 24 June 19 at 00:39
Living Legends said:
I signed up just fine and post on occasion. Don't get in trouble or maybe you had an issue with the Investigation Team
You missed his point. He wanted to invite new friends to the site to be on his team, but because they haven’t been members 6 months they don’t qualify. (At least that’s how I read it)
Sweet, maybe... Passionate, I suppose... But don't ever mistake that for nice.
Inferno118
Inferno118
Posted on 24 June 19 at 01:40
Well the reason for that is to avoid burner profiles for point abuse which only happens like once a year, but when it does happen everybody freaks out. I don’t think it’s possible to make everybody happy sadly. And to be perfectly honest your friends and yourselves would likely not last too long the way you make it sound. Not that that should be a reason for anybody to not be able to join in on the fun, but just know there are reasons these rules are in place
Chob
Chob
Posted on 24 June 19 at 04:47
I think there are better ways to verify if an app is a burner than just time:

- Add a payment method
- Verify your phone number
- Upload proof of identity when suspected
- Adding a PayPal with a valid payment method associated
- Connect the socials and have a manual check on these to confirm they are legit
- Compare submitted data with the Xbox API data
- Checking the Xbox API rep and for any suspicious activity
- Add verification to confirm that an Xbox account has been active for like 24 months where there are achievements unlocked in 12 of those 24 months

A time gate is just an ineffective way to verify people don't have burners imho.
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 24 June 19 at 05:14
Inferno118 said:
Well the reason for that is to avoid burner profiles for point abuse which only happens like once a year, but when it does happen everybody freaks out. I don’t think it’s possible to make everybody happy sadly. And to be perfectly honest your friends and yourselves would likely not last too long the way you make it sound. Not that that should be a reason for anybody to not be able to join in on the fun, but just know there are reasons these rules are in place
To be fair, someone really keen on winning this way could easily already have 10 burner profiles already signed up and waiting. Then just use one when needed, add another when they've got time....
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 24 June 19 at 08:48
Elyoh said:
Inferno118 said:
To be fair, someone really keen on winning this way could easily already have 10 burner profiles already signed up and waiting. Then just use one when needed, add another when they've got time....
Yeah..Especially this year, as people propably had them prepared in december.
I also think that 6 months is a bit much. Making the GS requirement higher would propably be more useful, if the rules are really here to avoid booster accounts. 25K GS f.ex would take slightly more dedication. Whereas 10k can be done in an afternoon or less.
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 24 June 19 at 18:52
If the purpose of the rule is to keep alt accounts out of the competition, I don't see why this requirement should be based on TA registration date, rather than the Xbox account tenure. Shouldn't it be pretty easy to tell the difference between a burner tag that was created recently, and just played a bunch of quick, easy stuff to meet the minimum gamerscore requirements, vs. a real gamer who's played many games over a long period of time, even if they haven't been TA members?

I mean, when a new user registers on the site, they get their full achievement history scanned in. If a new registrant has an achievement history going back years (and they meet the minimum gamerscore requirement, which I agree, could stand to be raised), they're obviously not an alt account created just for this competition, even if they only joined the site yesterday. Why not allow them to join, and maybe pick up some new members that way, rather than turning away those who might be interested?

I suppose it's easier to check against the date they registered on TA than to examine their achievement history... maybe that would be too easy to fake, or too hard to automatically judge at the time they tried to register for the event? I would think it would be possible to come up with some sort of workable algorithm to allow most legit users to join while still keeping out most of the alts.

In any case, I'm sure it's too late to change the rules for this current competition, but it might be something to look at next time. Meanwhile, OP, encourage your friends to register for the site anyway... that way, they'll be ready for future competitions!
planting42
planting42
Posted on 24 June 19 at 23:46
Its more to have the various site teams able to verify the legitimacy of the profile than a way to exclude alts.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 25 June 19 at 08:02, Edited on 25 June 19 at 08:04 by iMaginaryy
Could potentially have an alternative* option, like if they don't meet the 6 months rule, but meet the other requirements, then have them do one or all of the following - most likely the 3rd one:

Chob said:
- Add a payment method
- Add verification to confirm that an Xbox account has been active for like 24 months where there are achievements unlocked in 12 of those 24 months
That way, even if they don't have long term standing on TA at least they have long term and active standing on Xbox.

Although, I'm not sure myself if that's wise. An idea though. Unfortunately probably a moot point because it'd be a rule change for next year anyway. Too late to really change rules now.
[*also worth noting I don't think these should be general requirements for everyone, just an alternative for those that don't meet one of the current/main requirements if it were to theoretically be implemented]

On that note, your team would probably be better off just following the competition this year anyway and get them registered and prepared for next year - that's how a lot people start anyway, as a spectator for the first year. That way, at least everyone would understand how the competition works.
Fear is the mindkiller.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 25 June 19 at 08:04
iMaginaryy said:
Could potentially have an alternative option, like if they don't meet the 6 months rule, but meet the other requirements, then have them do one or all of the following - most likely the 3rd one:

Chob said:
- Add a payment method
That way, even if they don't have long term standing on TA at least they have long term and active standing on Xbox.

Although, I'm not sure myself if that's wise. An idea though. Unfortunately probably a moot point because it'd be a rule change for next year anyway. Too late to really change rules now.

On that note, your team would probably be better off just following the competition this year anyway and get them registered and prepared for next year - that's how a lot people start anyway, as a spectator for the first year. That way, at least everyone would understand how the competition works.
To be fair..."good standing" with MS doesn't mean sh#*, as they don't really bother checking for cheated achievements.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 25 June 19 at 08:17
^ that's true, and planting did say it was more to check legitimacy.

Wouldn't any cheated achievements pretty much be caught immediately upon registering on TA though, by the scanners and such? I'm not sure.
Fear is the mindkiller.
Chob
Chob
Posted on 25 June 19 at 08:24
iMaginaryy said:

Wouldn't any cheated achievements pretty much be caught immediately upon registering on TA though, by the scanners and such? I'm not sure.
I assume those can be done offline, hence no timestamps. That's why I didn't suggest checking those
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 25 June 19 at 08:36
Chob said:
iMaginaryy said:

I assume those can be done offline, hence no timestamps. That's why I didn't suggest checking those
That's kind of the main point though. You may already know this, but here on TA we have a zero tolerance policy for cheaters, rightfully so, we don't want them included in the stats which would skew them. So it's very important that any cheated achievements are detected and the profiles banned or put to non-tracking. They can't even really be on the site, much less in a competition. Most would be caught by the scanners I would think, but I'm not sure on some of the specifics for fringe/less common cases. As planting said, that's likely the main reason for the 6 month rule. Although even then, possibly not 100% effective.

Cheat Policy
Fear is the mindkiller.
ALollz
ALollz
Posted on 25 June 19 at 16:09, Edited on 25 June 19 at 16:12 by ALollz
I feel like there should be a higher GS threshold with shorter tenure that should give an alternative path to eligibility.

Like others have said, for those who want to "win" it's not that difficult to create a burner account X months prior to the event. 10K Gs takes maybe 3-4 hours these days, a rather low bar. Seems sensible to allow anyone with over 50K (or perhaps 75k) to enter, with a rather abbreviated tenure on the site (maybe one month, or just a few weeks). And if it's about checking legitimacy, more achievements should give more data?

It wont solve everything, and might not help in this case, but at least is a bit more friendly to newer users who might be active in the competition.
planting42
planting42
Posted on 25 June 19 at 16:35
Again, the time is to let TA teams (moderation and investigations) check the account. I'm not really open to shortening it, sorry.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.