Game Discussion: Gears 5 Forum

Forum to discuss specific games - ALL threads MUST be associated with a game

No more smoking in Gears? Thoughts?

Related game: Gears 5

AuthorMessage
Shel2theburne
294,046
Shel2theburne
Posted on 17 July 19 at 12:22
So many of you prolly heard about the interview with Rod Fergusson about not including smoking in Gears of War beginning with 5. Just trying to see everyone's thoughts on the matter. Does it actually contribute anything ot the game? Did it really need to be publicly announced? I have a video discussing my thoughts below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyKHkfMyvXQ&t=59s
Yummy Baklava
294,499
Yummy Baklava
Posted on 17 July 19 at 12:47
"Gears of War gets WOKE"

/facepalm

Maybe in the United States it's an issue given how easily accessible guns are to children, but in most other parts of the world, it's much easier to get a cigarette than it is to get a gun. Especially a gun with a chainsaw which many people can't seem to get over.

Also, seeing how much streaming there has been for Gears lately and how much they're pushing Gears 5 and Esports, it could cause issues with advertisers. Not to mention the influence it can have over younger, impressionable teenagers who might see smoking as being cool.
Johnny Sinister
Posted on 17 July 19 at 13:07
I am stationed in Europe currently, and smoking is way bigger here. They put images of cancer patients on all packs of cigarettes, but doesn't seem to deter people. There are also cigarette vending machines all over.

On a similar note, I saw an article that Netflix is going to cut down (out?) smoking in their original content due to backlash from fans of Stranger Things. Apparently there was too much smoking going on.
WeisGuy9
549,176
WeisGuy9
Posted on 17 July 19 at 16:21, Edited on 17 July 19 at 19:38 by WeisGuy9
It's about time! Anyone can clearly see the megalithic increase in the number of people smoking since the inception of the Gears of War series. Finally they've created a game with good, clean family fun that's entirely smoke free since they got rid of the like....someone who smoked somewhere during a GoW game that I can't even recall. Now parents can sit down with their children for some wholesome chainsaw executions and recreational skull smashing adventure without all that filthy smoking going on.
Ahayzo
520,879
Ahayzo
Posted on 17 July 19 at 17:05, Edited on 17 July 19 at 17:05 by Ahayzo
If I’m remembering right, this isn’t a Gears 5 thing, but something that’s been the case for the entire series. There was a character who had a cigar in his mouth, but it wasn’t lit outside of early promotional materials. Anybody complaining about it is complaining just for the sake of complaining.
#mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
WeisGuy9
549,176
WeisGuy9
Posted on 17 July 19 at 17:09, Edited on 17 July 19 at 17:09 by WeisGuy9
Ahayzo said:
If I’m remembering right, this isn’t a Gears 5 thing, but something that’s been the case for the entire series. There was a character who had a cigar in his mouth, but it wasn’t lit outside of early promotional materials. Anybody complaining about it is complaining just for the sake of complaining.
Yeah, the only thing I can even remotely think of is Colonel Hoffman having an unlit cigar stub in his mouth. But no REAL drill-sergeant-type army colonel would ever do anything so completely out of bounds. Right?
TheMaize
1,177,111
TheMaize
Posted on 17 July 19 at 17:59
Johnny Sinister said:
I am stationed in Europe currently, and smoking is way bigger here. They put images of cancer patients on all packs of cigarettes, but doesn't seem to deter people. There are also cigarette vending machines all over.

On a similar note, I saw an article that Netflix is going to cut down (out?) smoking in their original content due to backlash from fans of Stranger Things. Apparently there was too much smoking going on.
Europe is big...
You must be in the southern or Eastern part of it....
Johnny Sinister
Posted on 17 July 19 at 18:13
Germany, but we do lots of traveling. Been to about 7 countries and smoking seems much more prominent than in the States.
Reverend M3TA
489,921
Reverend M3TA
Posted on 17 July 19 at 20:34
Graphic violence? OK!

Tobacco? NONONONO
"The love for life is all hatred in disguise; a carnival creation with masks undone."
Elyoh
705,378
Elyoh
Posted on 17 July 19 at 22:22
Johnny Sinister said:
Germany, but we do lots of traveling. Been to about 7 countries and smoking seems much more prominent than in the States.
In my travels I've found the same thing, although I didn't personally notice it in Germany I certainly did in Eastern Europe (Was an odd sight to see people smoking indoors again after a good decade of it being illegal to do here in New Zealand!).

Normally, the non-smoking thing reflects advertisers wishes (FB flags all videos with smoking, and YT seems to demonetize all videos with smoking). With Gears 5 though... It's already adults only media. As much as I despise smoking, I'm not sure taking a cigar out of a captains hand in a game is going to help anyone.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Ahayzo
520,879
Ahayzo
Posted on 18 July 19 at 03:52
Reverend M3TA said:
Graphic violence? OK!

Tobacco? NONONONO
What most people tend to forget is, the violence is actually a part of the game. The shooting and death is relevant to the game. Smoking isn't and leaving it out has absolutely no impact whatsoever.
#mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
x Mataeus x
866,653
x Mataeus x
Posted on 18 July 19 at 09:05
WeisGuy9 said:
It's about time! Anyone can clearly see the megalithic increase in the number of people smoking since the inception of the Gears of War series. Finally they've created a game with good, clean family fun that's entirely smoke free since they got rid of the like....someone who smoked somewhere during a GoW game that I can't even recall. Now parents can sit down with their children for some wholesome chainsaw executions and recreational skull smashing adventure without all that filthy smoking going on.
Exactly. Now all that's left is to move smokers in the next GTA game on to e-cigs, and the world will be sanitised.
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
x Mataeus x
866,653
x Mataeus x
Posted on 18 July 19 at 09:06
Ahayzo said:
Reverend M3TA said:
Graphic violence? OK!

Tobacco? NONONONO
What most people tend to forget is, the violence is actually a part of the game. The shooting and death is relevant to the game. Smoking isn't and leaving it out has absolutely no impact whatsoever.
Yeah. Are you American by any chance? laugh
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
Ron Jeremy R6
147,060
Ron Jeremy R6
Posted on 18 July 19 at 10:22
Good, I was a smoker myself for some years, but glad I am done with it for some time now.

Smoking should be banned everywhere.

I can only give one advice 2 you guys: Never smoke or stop smoking.
J4CKA1
170,264
J4CKA1
Posted on 18 July 19 at 13:26
It's a video game. This is not news and does not matter. Smoking is bad for your health. Watching a cartoon character smoking is not bad for your health.

Next article.
Ahayzo
520,879
Ahayzo
Posted on 18 July 19 at 13:54
x Mataeus x said:
Ahayzo said:
Reverend M3TA said:
Graphic violence? OK!

Tobacco? NONONONO
What most people tend to forget is, the violence is actually a part of the game. The shooting and death is relevant to the game. Smoking isn't and leaving it out has absolutely no impact whatsoever.
Yeah. Are you American by any chance? laugh
I am, I can't wait to hear your explanation of how that's relevant.
#mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
WeisGuy9
549,176
WeisGuy9
Posted on 18 July 19 at 15:23
Ahayzo said:
Reverend M3TA said:
Graphic violence? OK!

Tobacco? NONONONO
What most people tend to forget is, the violence is actually a part of the game. The shooting and death is relevant to the game. Smoking isn't and leaving it out has absolutely no impact whatsoever.
For one thing, it just seems like a really pointless gesture in this case. There was no smoking to get rid of. I'm an avid Gears fan and an ex-smoker and I honestly can't recall anyone in a GoW game smoking, with the possible exception of Colonel Hoffman having an unlit cigar stub in his mouth. And I'm not even positive about that. Seriously, if a guy who smoked for 35+ years and who now constantly nags all their friends to quit smoking doesn't notice any smoking, then you're not influencing anyone to smoke.

Also, video games (or any other media, for that matter) are not a significant influence in causing people to smoke. They're just not. All this is doing is promoting the further sanitization of all forms of entertainment. Army sergeants don't smoke, mermaids are black, superheros are fat transgender lesbian gender fluid muslims, and the story of Pocahontas wasn't actually a nightmarish horror.
Deviousapple
312,579
Deviousapple
Posted on 18 July 19 at 15:55
Who cares? It is only a story because people are trying to make it one.
iMaginaryy
1,266,216
iMaginaryy
Posted on 18 July 19 at 18:29
Ahayzo said:
x Mataeus x said:
Ahayzo said:
Reverend M3TA said:
Graphic violence? OK!

Tobacco? NONONONO
What most people tend to forget is, the violence is actually a part of the game. The shooting and death is relevant to the game. Smoking isn't and leaving it out has absolutely no impact whatsoever.
Yeah. Are you American by any chance? laugh
I am, I can't wait to hear your explanation of how that's relevant.
I'm "American" and I understand how that could be relevant. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Furthermore, one could argue it is relevant to the game as well since people who work dangerous jobs often smoke - if you could get shot, chainsawed in half, or otherwise die tomorrow, what's the use of being afraid of a little smoke?

People can make their own choices, I'm sure everyone here does plenty of things that are unhealthy for them. Amount of time spent on this site and/or gaming, possibly not excluded. None of us are perfect, stop trying to pretend you are.

(Is it unhealthy? Yes, mostly. Should we keep it away from kids? Probably. Should we find/create safer alternatives? Yes. Should we keep traditional as an option? Yes. Is it up to you to make other people's choices? No.)
Fear is the mindkiller.
WeisGuy9
549,176
WeisGuy9
Posted on 18 July 19 at 18:44
iMaginaryy said:
Ahayzo said:
x Mataeus x said:
Ahayzo said:
Reverend M3TA said:
Graphic violence? OK!

Tobacco? NONONONO
What most people tend to forget is, the violence is actually a part of the game. The shooting and death is relevant to the game. Smoking isn't and leaving it out has absolutely no impact whatsoever.
Yeah. Are you American by any chance? laugh
I am, I can't wait to hear your explanation of how that's relevant.
I'm "American" and I understand how that could be relevant. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Furthermore, one could argue it is relevant to the game as well since people who work dangerous jobs often smoke - if you could get shot, chainsawed in half, or otherwise die tomorrow, what's the use of being afraid of a little smoke?

People can make their own choices, I'm sure everyone here does plenty of things that are unhealthy for them. Amount of time spent on this site and/or gaming, possibly not excluded. None of us are perfect, stop trying to pretend you are.

(Is it unhealthy? Yes, mostly. Should we keep it away from kids? Probably. Should we find/create safer alternatives? Yes. Should we keep traditional as an option? Yes. Is it up to you to make other people's choices? No.)
Perfectly said.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.