Game Discussion: Sea of Thieves Forum

ISO: a basic achievement/completion breakdown

AuthorMessage
vSully
vSully
Posted on 21 July 19 at 20:35
Hey guys,

I know almost nothing about this game so I'm posting here in the hopes that someone could give a breakdown of what you've got to do to complete it.

Most of the achievement descriptions are cryptic and others give no indication of what is actually involved without understanding the game.

Thanks.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 21 July 19 at 21:57
It is a large and complicated game (despite having no content!) to explain to someone who hasn't played it, and it's always changing for better or worse with each patch, but I shall try to give you a rough road map. Time estimates are impossible to give because of how random everything is, but it definitely sits squarely in the 500+ hour category, probably more towards 1000+ now with the arena and fishing and all. But like I said, updates often introduce new things and events that make old things faster/slower (sometimes drastically), so nothing is completely set in stone.

- 250 voyages for the three base factions. This is simple enough, but a long grind since you'll most likely be working on other things simultaneously.

- Villainous Bounty Skulls can be farmed efficiently at the same time as voyages by doing voyages in the Devil's Roar area, but since these voyages are harder than normal ones (that rarely award Villainous skulls) it does feel rather endless.

- Fruit Crate orders (formerly Banana Crates) are found randomly in barrels/bottles and are easy to complete, so those will likely come "naturally" while working on everything else.

- Gunpowder Barrels can fairly easily be worked on at the same time as Merchant voyages, to no significant time loss.

- Captain's Chests can be a massive pain, but are often part of special events that make the grind much faster. In the absence of events, there is no great way to grind them aside from shipwrecks and high level Gold Hoarder voyages.

- Shipwrecked Chests are a big point of rng, since shipwrecks spawn randomly in the world, are easy to miss unless you specifically look for them, and often do not even contain chests at all.

- Nautical Miles for each faction are can pretty much be idled if you still need them at the end of everything else, but you'll get plenty of progress on them while doing other things as long as you have a voyage active.

- Random player interaction achievements are not entirely easy due to how difficult it is to match up with other specific crews, but if you find cooperative randoms, everything is fairly simple.

- Fishing... 2100 specific fish needed since you need 50 of all 40 "common" fish types and 10 of each "rare" type. Rare ones are extremely cumbersome to get, and even some of the common ones (Blackclouds...) are more of a hassle than they should be. Several hundred hours required no doubt, but a lot of it can be done while sailing from place to place doing other things.

- Arena... can't comment on this yet, but it looks fucking horrible.

All of this obviously also has to be done while dealing with the constant threat of other players and random stuff going awry, so a lot of your time in the game is just spent doing things that really do not contribute much at all towards achievements.
What can change the nature of a man?
Lefty24
Lefty24
Posted on 22 July 19 at 00:52, Edited on 22 July 19 at 00:58 by Lefty24
Most importantly: For completing the 3 voyage types, do not level up your faction rank for any of them until you've completed at least 150-175 of each type. There are achievements tied to reaching level 50 in all 3 factions, but wait on those. Trust me. Especially for the Order of Souls. Staying at the starter levels will give you infinitely easier voyages to complete. You can easily face 5 waves of strong enemies on 5-8 different islands, each with their own set of 5 waves, taking over an hour to complete versus 1 or 2 waves of easy enemies on just 1 or 2 islands taking just 30 seconds per island.

Things like turning in 360 gold chests or 360 villainous skulls seem high, but they're not terrible. Any matching item counts. It can be stolen from another crew, found randomly on a beach, from a shipwreck, a skull fort, or your own voyage.

Always, ALWAYS have a voyage voted on, even if you have no intention of doing it. The miles count. Doing Tall Tales? Have a merchant voyage down too. Working on a skull fort? Have an Order of Souls voyage active. Just finished a Gold Hoarders voyage and headed to an outpost? Vote for a merchant voyage. Just fishing? Put down a gold hoarders voyage. You WILL have your 250 voyages completed and not have 1000 miles sailed finished.

Stop at as many shipwrecks as you can. They have items you can sell for all 3 factions to gain rep with them. They also have fish in the barrels, including the rare fish. Even if it's already been looted by someone else, spending 30 seconds to check is worth it. And you need 300 shipwreck chests anyway. Stop at as many as you see.

There are a lot of achievements you can get rather quickly, but some are massive grinds.

Arena is 200 hours minimum. Games are 24 minutes each, plus 6-10 minutes for loading times. You have to win 100. And win 100 as a pirate legend. And complete 200. Don't start arena until you are a legend. Winning 100 and winning 100 as a legend stacks.

Fishing takes a long time. Probably at least 100-150 hours. Progress starts fast but slows when you're left looking for specific fish.

Some Tall Tales are easy, so not so much. Having to complete each 5 times is a chore. Count on 50-100 hours for these. Some have a lot of travel required. Sailing time is a huge addition to completion time.

If you stay at a lower rep doing faction voyages, you could get 5 or 6 done per hour. Totaling 50-75 hours per faction. If you level up as soon as you rank up, plan on just 1 or 2 voyages complete per hour...if you're lucky. You'll easily double or triple your time spent. Like I said, stay low level for as long as you can. Even doing 200 level 0 voyages each wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Merchant voyages are a little different though. You still have to collect animals, often times, the same number of animals no matter if its a level 0 or level 50 voyage. They're random. Cancel voyages that have more than 2 animal types or more than 5 total animals. Many islands only have 1 type of animal present. Some larger islands have 2 types. No island has all 3 types. You don't want to sail to more than 2 islands to do a merchant voyage. Also to note, Cargo Run merchant voyages don't count. Only animal collection Merchant voyages count.

Spend some time earning doubloons. There are a lot of ways to earn them, some are very simple. You can buy rep levels with them for 30 doubloons per level. Don't do this until you've completed all of that factions requirements. For example, i had all of my fish caught and was only level 44. I bought the last 6 levels. I have over 60% on arena wins and games played at only level 35. I assume I'll need to buy 8-10 levels there after I finish my wins and games played. Level 42 is 50% on each faction as far as xp goes. Spending 4-5 hours earning a couple hundred doubloons beats investing 25 hours grinding another 6 faction levels.

Find someone to grind with. I preferred a sloop over a galleon. Having 2 people fish cuts your time in half. Sloops are easy to 1-man, so you can drop someone off at an island to fight skeletons or dig chests while you sail to the next island, etc.

For gold hoarders, you can generally tap and go on those voyages. Spending extra time digging up a castaway (the worst) chest isn't worth the time, money, or xp. Finding a free captains chest is worth at least 5 castaways in terms of cash ad xp. Actually, only dig captains chests until you have 360 sold, then you can tap and leave those too. You'll benefit from the time saved. Don't worry about your gold amount. I have over 4 million in my account. Whatever. You'll get enough coin selling animals. They're worth A LOT more now than when I did mine. You'll have plenty of coin.

Doing skull forts is worth the time as you get chests, skulls, and merchant items from them. They do take a while to complete and are asshole magnets, but can be worth the trouble. Better done on a galleon with a full crew. I have done many as a solo sloop though, just beware of the magnet effect they have on assholes.

As a whole, you're looking at a 700 hour completion. Expect closer to 1000+ though. It's real easy to get sucked into a 2 hour chase, earning no progress.
vSully
vSully
Posted on 22 July 19 at 18:49
Thanks.

I'm tempted but I can only imagine that 50 or 100 hours in I'll hate myself for making the commitment.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 22 July 19 at 18:55
I give you an hour at most.
Kexol
Kexol
Posted on 23 July 19 at 00:26
It's an amazing game but be prepared for a grind.
Lockie
Lockie
Posted on 23 July 19 at 02:22
It's a great game, especially since they added the Tall Tale missions as they add a story and puzzle element to the game.

But achievement wise I put it in the "way too much time & effort to 100%" category. laugh Good luck.
Posting from sunny Australia.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 24 July 19 at 04:02, Edited on 24 July 19 at 04:04 by Awoo
It's one of the worst games ever made, do not listen to anyone saying anything positive. They have absolutely no concept of what makes a good multiplayer experience, let alone a good game. Enjoyable in some small capacity in a casual sense perhaps, but playing for achievements, it is an absolutely hellish chore.
Kexol
Kexol
Posted on 24 July 19 at 20:28
Awoo said:
It's one of the worst games ever made, do not listen to anyone saying anything positive. They have absolutely no concept of what makes a good multiplayer experience, let alone a good game. Enjoyable in some small capacity in a casual sense perhaps, but playing for achievements, it is an absolutely hellish chore.
I dont think it deserves to be called "one of the worst games ever made". Maybe, if this argument was made when this game released then I would understand. Playing the game now is a lot more fun especially when you play with friends. I'll agree on the achievement side though. Games achievements take a very long time and arent too fun when grinding them out.
FloodABYZ
FloodABYZ
Posted on 26 July 19 at 06:09
Game’s awful
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 26 July 19 at 15:08
Damn, had to look up what ISO stood for in that sentence laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Cower Before me
Posted on 26 July 19 at 23:47
Awoo said:
It is a large and complicated game (despite having no content!) to explain to someone who hasn't played it, and it's always changing for better or worse with each patch, but I shall try to give you a rough road map. Time estimates are impossible to give because of how random everything is, but it definitely sits squarely in the 500+ hour category, probably more towards 1000+ now with the arena and fishing and all. But like I said, updates often introduce new things and events that make old things faster/slower (sometimes drastically), so nothing is completely set in stone.

- 250 voyages for the three base factions. This is simple enough, but a long grind since you'll most likely be working on other things simultaneously.

- Villainous Bounty Skulls can be farmed efficiently at the same time as voyages by doing voyages in the Devil's Roar area, but since these voyages are harder than normal ones (that rarely award Villainous skulls) it does feel rather endless.

- Fruit Crate orders (formerly Banana Crates) are found randomly in barrels/bottles and are easy to complete, so those will likely come "naturally" while working on everything else.

- Gunpowder Barrels can fairly easily be worked on at the same time as Merchant voyages, to no significant time loss.

- Captain's Chests can be a massive pain, but are often part of special events that make the grind much faster. In the absence of events, there is no great way to grind them aside from shipwrecks and high level Gold Hoarder voyages.

- Shipwrecked Chests are a big point of rng, since shipwrecks spawn randomly in the world, are easy to miss unless you specifically look for them, and often do not even contain chests at all.

- Nautical Miles for each faction are can pretty much be idled if you still need them at the end of everything else, but you'll get plenty of progress on them while doing other things as long as you have a voyage active.

- Random player interaction achievements are not entirely easy due to how difficult it is to match up with other specific crews, but if you find cooperative randoms, everything is fairly simple.

- Fishing... 2100 specific fish needed since you need 50 of all 40 "common" fish types and 10 of each "rare" type. Rare ones are extremely cumbersome to get, and even some of the common ones (Blackclouds...) are more of a hassle than they should be. Several hundred hours required no doubt, but a lot of it can be done while sailing from place to place doing other things.

- Arena... can't comment on this yet, but it looks fucking horrible.

All of this obviously also has to be done while dealing with the constant threat of other players and random stuff going awry, so a lot of your time in the game is just spent doing things that really do not contribute much at all towards achievements.
doing Ashen Athena’s is a very reliable and easy way to farm villainous skulls and captains chests, at least half of not more of your chests and skulls will be villainous and captains. you also make a tonne of gold along the way since ashen loot is worth double regular loot and you get Athena rep to deck out your ship with cosmetics. Or if you don’t care about Athena rep, since it isn’t tied to any achievements, you can just do the gold hoarder and/or the order of souls maps then cancel the voyage, and start another one while you are in the area.

The gold hoarders are simple enough, but the order of souls are even easier than normal, just train the skeletons around the island and let the geysers kill them for you. And with recent patches to volcanoes the devils roar has become less difficult than it used to be.
another bonus of doing ashen quests is that other ships rarely ever go there, so you are almost guaranteed an easy voyage.
Cower Before me
Posted on 26 July 19 at 23:52
Awoo said:
It’s far from the worst game ever, not even close, if it was it wouldn’t hold an average rating of 7/10 stars. I’ve had nothing but fun with the game in a casual sense and competitive sense. but I do agree with you about the achievements. It’s absolutely ludicrous that the devs think anyone would want to spend that much time playing their game. The requirements on the achievements should be reduced by like 80%
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.