Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Add 'Event related' flag submission to achievements

AuthorMessage
TuKraZe
TuKraZe
Posted on 24 July 19 at 16:45, Edited on 24 July 19 at 17:00 by TuKraZe
I have stumbled across multiple achievements recently in multiple games which have achievements that are labelled as discontinued but are in actual fact are not entirely as they are mostly just tied to events which are only activated at certain times. Games like Overwatch and Plants vs Zombies GW2 have these types of achievements. I understand why they would be labelled as 'Discontinued' at present, but I feel maybe an additional flag labelled 'Event Related' or 'Timed Event' may be more fitting. This could also be implemented to replace or add to the Game info tab where it would normally inform you of any unobtainable/discontinued achievements. Just an idea to help clear up and add additional info to these types of achievements.
Want a custom Gamerpic or Logo? Hit me up for further details.
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 24 July 19 at 23:12
We are not looking to add any new flags to the system at this time.
GI Flagging Manager
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 25 July 19 at 14:05
Game devs should use the Challenges system for these Event Related items rather than achievements, shouldn't they?
Ahayzo
Ahayzo
Posted on 26 July 19 at 03:06
They should, but unfortunately most developers just ignore the existence of challenges
#mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
Elite1111111111
Posted on 29 July 19 at 18:03, Edited on 29 July 19 at 18:08 by Elite1111111111
TuKraZe said:
Just an idea to help clear up and add additional info to these types of achievements.
But it doesn't actually add any info. An event tag would mean "maybe you can unlock this achievement." That isn't exactly helpful to anyone looking to play the game. They'd then have to find info about whether or not the event is running. With the way event achievements are currently flagged, you know whether the event is running or not.

In your PvZ example, that might have been okay when the game first came out, but now the devs don't support the game as much. Boss Hunt, for example, hasn't appeared since February according to recent unlocks. "Discontinued" seems a lot more honest than "Event" in this case. Cats & Dinos had one weeklong appearance in March and before that hadn't had an appearance since September. It's discontinued unless the devs decree otherwise.

Even Overwatch events aren't consistent. Summer Games for example is 3 weeks earlier this year than last year. An event flag doesn't tell you that the event started 3 weeks early this year. Suddenly losing its discontinued flag does.
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 29 July 19 at 20:06
Elite1111111111 said:
TuKraZe said:
Just an idea to help clear up and add additional info to these types of achievements.
Even Overwatch events aren't consistent. Summer Games for example is 3 weeks earlier this year than last year. An event flag doesn't tell you that the event started 3 weeks early this year. Suddenly losing its discontinued flag does.
I'm not super knowledgeable on Event driven achievements. Are you suggesting there are achievements that are only available randomly, depending on when developers/publishers provide Events that can satisfy them, and that someone at TA turns on/off the Discontinued Flag when they come up? That's not included in the Discontinued flag definition.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 29 July 19 at 20:55, Edited on 29 July 19 at 21:06 by Elite1111111111
They get marked as discontinued because they're discontinued. Them being events is irrelevent to them being flagged as discontinued. They fit the definition of a discontinued achievement.

The Discontinued flag is used to mark achievements which used to be obtainable but are now impossible to unlock legitimately.
They're then flagged normally once they're confirmed working again. Event achievements just happen to get "un-discontinued" more often than other discontinued achievements. In both flagging cases it's a matter of people submitting the flags like normal, though so few games have achievement this is relevant for that they're caught pretty quick.
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 15 August 19 at 11:53
I see the advantage of splitting this in two -- into "Discontinued" and "Timed Event".

There is a big difference between, for example, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 where the "Portal" achievements only open for a few days once a year:

Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Achievements

And Full House Poker, which will never un-Discontinue its seasonal achievements:

Full House Poker Achievements

The distinction is that on the former, I can complete it given enough patience for the "Event" to occur, while the latter is impossible to complete now. Hence why the new flag would be good to have.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 15 August 19 at 12:37
JohnnyInterfnk said:
The distinction is that on the former, I can complete it given enough patience for the "Event" to occur, while the latter is impossible to complete now. Hence why the new flag would be good to have.
If you're going to use a game as an example it probably isn't the best idea to use a game that went from having "monthy" events to "if/when the devs actually feel like patching them in" events. There is no guarantee these events are still coming back.
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 15 August 19 at 15:31
+1 - I still think there is a distinction between Discontinued (impossible, never available ever again) and Event (achievements that may regularly be available on a future timed event).
Piston Toyota
Piston Toyota
Posted on 16 August 19 at 02:41, Edited on 16 August 19 at 06:34 by Piston Toyota
There is nothing in the Discontinued flag definition that implies that the achievement will never be available again. Even if there were, there's no real way for us to definitively know that anyway. Event achievements are treated more or less the same as a server shutdown: An online feature needed to unlock the achievement is not currently available. There may be an expectation of them returning in some cases, but it's ultimately up to the game's developers and there's no reason to assume anything.
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 17 August 19 at 16:42
Elite1111111111 said:
JohnnyInterfnk said:
If you're going to use a game as an example it probably isn't the best idea to use a game that went from having "monthy" events to "if/when the devs actually feel like patching them in" events. There is no guarantee these events are still coming back.
Would Overwatch be a better example?:

Overwatch: Origins Edition Achievements

It has 40 discontinued achievements, but many of them are seasonal based, and are planned to open up around the perspective holidays...
Elite1111111111
Posted on 17 August 19 at 17:55, Edited on 17 August 19 at 17:59 by Elite1111111111
You answered your own question.

...and are planned to open up around the perspective holidays...
Now I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'd be pretty salty if I waited 11 months for an achievement to come back only for the devs to go "lol jk". I'd much rather be cautiously optimistic that a "discontinued" achievement will come back. And again, this goes back to "does this flag provide useful info?"

When does the achievement get this flag?
Always? Well then I need to look somewhere other than the flags to figure out if the event is even active.
Only when it's active? You already know when it's active because it won't have the discontinued flag anymore.
Only when it's inactive? The discontinued flag already does that.

The discontinued flag and the "additional info" box in the sidebar already give all this info.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.