Game Discussion: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden

Seed of Evil in Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden achievements found

• eohjayeohjay785,082
    Posted on 05 August 19 at 14:18Permalink
    When shit like this happens it really makes me wonder about the "certification" process that we hear about from time to time. How did this DLC pass any sort of QA tests on the developers end - let alone Microsofts?

The DLC was legitimately unplayable - the vast majority of players could not even get it to start. You'd think that would have been caught. Now there are numerous complaints that while it is finally "playable" it crashes back to the home screen on every cinematic or zone change.
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,220,009
    Posted on 05 August 19 at 14:54Permalink
    eohjay said:
    When shit like this happens it really makes me wonder about the "certification" process that we hear about from time to time. How did this DLC pass any sort of QA tests on the developers end - let alone Microsofts?

The DLC was legitimately unplayable - the vast majority of players could not even get it to start. You'd think that would have been caught. Now there are numerous complaints that while it is finally "playable" it crashes back to the home screen on every cinematic or zone change.
    the certification process is running it through "windows defender" and making sure it doesnt have an offensive name, probably
  • Posted on 05 August 19 at 15:20Permalink
    TheMaize said:
    eohjay said:

the certification process is running it through "windows defender" and making sure it doesnt have an offensive name, probably
    This is closer to what Microsoft's side of the certification is. They are checking to ensure the game/patch does not break system-level functionality and higher level Xbox-related services, introduce malicious code to user's systems, and a quick check with the regional legal/relations teams. Anything within the game itself that is breaking would need to be caught/dealt with the developer/publisher QA team(s).
  • Posted on 05 August 19 at 17:43, Edited on 05 August 19 at 17:46 by The NerevarinePermalink
    eohjay said:

Sometimes things work in development environments and not production environments. Or an error is made when bringing assets to production that wasn't made in development.

Also the certification process requires the content to be accessible as they check it for consistency against Microsoft design standards (controller button icons need to be there, achievements and other Xbox-specific functionality needs to work, etc.) I don't know the game or studio, maybe they are new to Xbox and made a bunch of errors during submission that wouldn't necessarily fail certification but would break a launch and require fixing.

TL;DR: Developing for consoles can be a frustrating challenge for developers and studios who have never done it; especially those full of PC elitists who don't really care about consoles.
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,220,009
    Posted on 06 August 19 at 01:32Permalink
    The Nerevarine said:
    eohjay said:

Sometimes things work in development environments and not production environments. Or an error is made when bringing assets to production that wasn't made in development.

Also the certification process requires the content to be accessible as they check it for consistency against Microsoft design standards (controller button icons need to be there, achievements and other Xbox-specific functionality needs to work, etc.) I don't know the game or studio, maybe they are new to Xbox and made a bunch of errors during submission that wouldn't necessarily fail certification but would break a launch and require fixing.

TL;DR: Developing for consoles can be a frustrating challenge for developers and studios who have never done it; especially those full of PC elitists who don't really care about consoles.
    In this case, it's even more broken on PC than it is on console though. So I doubt that has anything to do with it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.