Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

A Microsoft Patent Application Shows a Device Similar to a Nintendo Switch

AuthorMessage
Canezza
Canezza
Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:12
Microsoft could be switching it up.

Please click here to read the story: A Microsoft Patent Application Shows a Device Similar to a Nintendo Switch

Credit goes to x Mataeus x for this story
Poll: Would you play Xbox games on mobile using these peripherals?
  • 37.9% - Yes - Definitely!
  • 18.8% - No - Not interested
  • 25.8% - Maybe
  • 17.5% - Yes - if I could download games rather than stream them

• We had 2,438 responses to the poll.
    You must log in to vote on this poll
    Jestertainment
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:15
    As voted, I'd have to be able to download the games, but I love the idea of this, it'd have to be priced competitively though, I can't see this selling for anymore than £180 if it's controllers & screen.
    Shinnizle
    Shinnizle
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:16
    If I could download them, I probably would at some point. Although I wouldn't have that many opportunities to do some handheld gaming, the option would be nice to have.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
    Poopdog M60Riot
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:17, Edited on 09 August 19 at 15:18 by Poopdog M60Riot
    Two separate game pads? Must be tough for the one with no buttons.
    Banana Big Boys
    OldSchoolBlood
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:18
    We have seen what Microsoft is doing for Nintendo, but have not seen what Nintendo is doing for Xbox. Hopefully this is the start.
    The lMlan
    The lMlan
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:18
    So a controller to go around your phone instead of plugging in a controller.

Honestly don’t see the appeal of streaming an Xbox game to a phone or tablet. If I’m at home I’m gonna be on my nice tv....if I’m not at home I’m not playing a video game.
    It's beginning to look a lot like glitchmas, every game I play
    RidleyDeckard
    RidleyDeckard
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:26
    I already steam my Xbox to my laptop while my wife watches TV. I also go away a lot with work I'm really looking forward to Xcloud.
    Vindibudd
    Vindibudd
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:27
    The lMlan said:
    So a controller to go around your phone instead of plugging in a controller.

Honestly don’t see the appeal of streaming an Xbox game to a phone or tablet. If I’m at home I’m gonna be on my nice tv....if I’m not at home I’m not playing a video game.
    Yeah but what if you're on vacation or a business trip and you wanna keep poppin' those 'chievos on real xbox games? This would be the perfect solution!
    jasonlc3221
    jasonlc3221
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:32
    Downloadable or streaming, idc, as long as I could play and earn achievements on the go. My Windows tablet just isn't practical enough to take with me on an every-day basis like the Switch is. As far as streaming games, I'm fine with it, I just won't be playing "lightning-fast relexes" games. Instead, I'll stream much more casual games, like Cities: Skylines or Surviving Mars. But downloadable would be the more preferred way to go.
    Seitzz
    Seitzz
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:32
    Excited to see how this ends up. Haven’t really played anything handheld since game boy advanced sp and the early days of the ds
    Mystic Mosh
    Mystic Mosh
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:38
    Even though I have a vita, and in the past other handheld devices for gaming, I think the concept of handheld gaming is good but marketed wrong. It always looks the dogs to start with but, like a puppy at christmas with kids, it becomes very boring very quickly, possibly to the fact that it's always just seen as something to pick up on a break or when you've got some spare time. Then when the interest wanes, so do the game companies interest in making decent games for the platform, and we end up with endless Ratalaika bundles as the main stay of the device.
    On the other hand, if you can use it as a mobile extension of your main console, then that would be awesome.
    SuperPed13
    SuperPed13
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:44
    Im more concerned with the actual performance of games on these devices. If it plays like shit then it doesnt matter about peripherals
    dreampage
    dreampage
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:44
    Jestertainment said:
    As voted, I'd have to be able to download the games, but I love the idea of this, it'd have to be priced competitively though, I can't see this selling for anymore than £180 if it's controllers & screen.
    Downloading an Xbox game to a mobile device would be impossible for two reasons. First, there is not enough storage in a mobile phone or tablet to support several 50-100 GB size games. Second, a mobile device couldn't natively run console games. This is the whole point of streaming, that you don't have to wait for downloads or have a dedicated device for games. You can just stream the picture while the game runs on hardware in the data center.
    HawkeyeBarry20
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:54
    I don’t think this is a handheld console unless you’re saying by attaching this to your phone that makes it a handheld console. I think it’s a great idea, add this Xbox appendage and turn your phone or tablet into a gaming console where you can stream any game from gamepass using the Xcloud.
    Musikfreak007
    Musikfreak007
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:54
    Being able to play Xbox games in a portable setup is definitely appealing to me. The specific render here looks really awkward to hold - though I don't LOVE the grip on the Switch either.

I'm looking forward to Xbox's future with the next console's upgrades (graphically and in terms of speed) as well as the potential to play Xbox games on-the-go. Could be fun.
    ronnie42
    ronnie42
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:57, Edited on 09 August 19 at 15:58 by ronnie42
    If it was a proper portable Xbox then sure I'd be interested but if it's cloud gaming.....pass since generally that form of gaming needs to die...it's bad enough company's taking gamers advantage with loot box's, killing gamers freedom. roll
    Doom rocks
    LilGurgi
    LilGurgi
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 15:59
    dreampage said:
    Jestertainment said:
    Downloading an Xbox game to a mobile device would be impossible for two reasons. First, there is not enough storage in a mobile phone or tablet to support several 50-100 GB size games. Second, a mobile device couldn't natively run console games. This is the whole point of streaming, that you don't have to wait for downloads or have a dedicated device for games. You can just stream the picture while the game runs on hardware in the data center.
    My phone currently has a 128g memory card in it so it is possible. Also, as another mentioned, I dont think you would be playing games like Gears of War 5 on this. The gaming would be more along the lines of Lego, platforms, solo/campaign games of the non-4K variety.
    pezboyben
    pezboyben
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 16:06
    My phone is a piece of shit so it's a no from me.
    Gerbasgamer
    Gerbasgamer
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 16:17
    That would be insanely good for streaming
    Gerbasgamer
    Gerbasgamer
    Posted on 09 August 19 at 16:18
    pezboyben said:
    My phone is a piece of shit so it's a no from me.
    Doesn't really matter unless the screen is broken.
    Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.