Xbox One Forum

Forum for Xbox One related discussions

Xbox One no longer reads my external hard drive after update

AuthorMessage
Otouto72
Otouto72
Posted on 17 August 19 at 01:06, Edited on 17 August 19 at 01:06 by Otouto72
My Xbox One just underwent a system update in which afterwards it no longer reads my external hard drive. After a restart it still does not read my hard drive.

The disc in my One started running automatically and initially thought nothing of it, but then it would not shut up so I wanted to turn it on to see what was happening and it was 92% into applying the update. I waited it out for the update to commence and when it did I wanted to load up Pure Hold 'em to farm XP but it said it was not installed....that's when I then when to my Games list and saw I was on 96.7% and 25.GB free, it's not reading my hard drive.

What have I done? Did I corrupt it after turning it on during the update?
Koding
Koding
Posted on 17 August 19 at 01:45
Are you in the Xbox Insider program? I've read that some users in that program have a problem with externals after updating.

Other than that, have you tried plugging it into a different USB port on the Xbox? Have you tried plugging it into a PC to make sure the drive hasn't failed?
62 LEGO game completions on 6 different platforms across TA, TT, and TSA! Over 3,500 achievements/trophies earned in LEGO games!
Otouto72
Otouto72
Posted on 17 August 19 at 01:51
Koding said:
Are you in the Xbox Insider program? I've read that some users in that program have a problem with externals after updating.

Other than that, have you tried plugging it into a different USB port on the Xbox? Have you tried plugging it into a PC to make sure the drive hasn't failed?
Right just caught your reply before I try to sleep this off and will almost certainly fail. No I'm not. Did a power cycle, no change. Will try your plug in method in the morning and report back.
Bastian Reader
Posted on 17 August 19 at 03:56
I am having problems too
Otouto72
Otouto72
Posted on 17 August 19 at 09:12
Koding said:

Right, all appears to be well now. Basically I got up and noticed the white light on my hard drive was still on and has practically stayed on the whole time, usually it turn on to check for updates before knocking itself out again, but it was not doing that. But I unplugged it, replugged it and now it wants to read it. The games though weren't reading leaving me to think I had to reinstall all of them again, but eventually they did and they are launching without any issues.

Ugh. If only I picked up on that before going to bed. I will at least know in future to do that if it plays up again. Thanks for your assistance.
Otouto72
Otouto72
Posted on 17 August 19 at 09:25
Bastian Reader said:
I am having problems too
Wonder if this is going to be a recurring problem for others post-update. I actually just had to unplug and replug it for it to read.
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 18 August 19 at 04:40
Yeah I got an update a day or two ago and it's not detecting one of my external drives. Good to know that I'm at least not the only one having problems. I have not been able to get it to read the drive again. I've restarted the console, unplugged the drive, and sorts of things. It just won't work. It's about 5 TB worth of games, so I'm going to be annoyed if it doesn't work at some point reasonably soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUia5quPnBk
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 18 August 19 at 12:30
It might help if you guys listed what kind of drives you have too, to know if it's all or just certain kinds.
Fear is the mindkiller.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.