Game Discussion: Control Forum

Freezing during cutscenes.

AuthorMessage
Billargh
Billargh
Posted on 28 August 19 at 07:54
I've noticed during some cutscenes, often the ones with a lot of fast cuts the visuals freeze a bit, but the voice / music doesn't. Is anyone else having this 'problem'? (I say 'problem' because I have no idea if this is intentional or not, it could be for all I know!)
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 28 August 19 at 15:58
I had that same issue, and like you, I was having a hard time telling if that was just due to the graphics lagging behind, or if that was actually what was supposed to be happening. The sound cues seemed to indicate I should be seeing a lot of those quick cuts to abstract shapes and colors and whatnot, but the visual was just frozen on her face for three or four seconds at a time.
Billargh
Billargh
Posted on 28 August 19 at 16:10
It's good to know I'm not the only one then, and you've managed to explain what happens a lot better than I did while rushing to post this before leaving for work, haha.
Count Flanders
Posted on 28 August 19 at 18:19
I'm seeing this too. Odd because the subtitles update.
Count Flanders
Posted on 28 August 19 at 18:53
It seems like this is a known issue, per Polygon article: https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/28/20837107/control-performan...
JCDRANZER
JCDRANZER
Posted on 29 August 19 at 09:39, Edited on 29 August 19 at 09:55 by JCDRANZER
Yeah, this happened to me right after the previous Director's room and the surroundings went red and the cutscene looks like it's using a live action version of the main character. I ended up watching the cutscene on Youtube before I proceeded with the game.

I assumed it had to do with the fact that I'm using a regular Xbox One and not Xbox One X. Overall, it sucked and really should not be happening.

However, overall performance of the game has been fine and the game itself looks incredible.
NoHeroes94
NoHeroes94
Posted on 29 August 19 at 11:53, Edited on 29 August 19 at 11:55 by NoHeroes94
I'm good in cutscenes, but for me, the freezing is consistently terrible when I pause the game. Once I unpause, can take 4-5 seconds for the game to settle back to a consistent frame rate. I'm adoring the game but it's very annoying, and I hope it gets patched.

For people playing on non-Pro PS4's, the game is virtually unplayable apparently.
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 29 August 19 at 14:07
I'm fucking tired of seeing good games ruined by technical issues. Hope they will fix that soon.
JCDRANZER
JCDRANZER
Posted on 31 August 19 at 10:36
However, the game plays fine for me even though I am using a regular Xbox One. It was just that 1 cutscene for me where the game really faltered.

There is a definite lag when unpausing the game.
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 31 August 19 at 17:18
Just like JCDRANZER, I only had lags during the live action cutscene and when unpausing the game. The rest of the game plays fine, even during gunfights.

I'm using a Xbox One S with a regular external drive.

Maybe there have been a patch already ? I had a 5GB update to do while installing the game today.
NoHeroes94
NoHeroes94
Posted on 03 September 19 at 08:16
JCDRANZER said:
However, the game plays fine for me even though I am using a regular Xbox One. It was just that 1 cutscene for me where the game really faltered.

There is a definite lag when unpausing the game.
Didn't happen to be during Threshold, did it? Only time its happened to me.
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 03 September 19 at 08:54, Edited on 03 September 19 at 08:56 by BlackxRyan
Alright, Remedy has made a statement addressing the known issues but it will take them some time to fix it.

https://controlgame.com/control-community-update-30-8-19/

I'm tired of this, they should have fixed that before releasing the game. I regret my preorder now.
baazfury
baazfury
Posted on 04 September 19 at 10:22
I get lag when coming out of control points. The worst lag I get is during fights with numerous enemies and the frame rate drops to a Just Cause 3 level. Very poor and unacceptable game engine rendering.
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 13 September 19 at 21:36
An update is scheduled to come soon, let's hope it will fix the issues...

https://controlgame.com/control-september-update/
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 17 September 19 at 18:18
After the 2.4GB update, I still have the same issues. Looks like I can continue Borderlands 3.
Billargh
Billargh
Posted on 18 September 19 at 07:01
Yeah I had the 2.4GB patch too, absolutely no difference. Videos are still freezing randomly, the game grinds to a half after unpausing etc.
BlackxRyan
BlackxRyan
Posted on 10 October 19 at 17:09
Still no patch, looks like I'll have to wait until the Black Friday or a big discount to buy a One X.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.