Genre Discussion: Blair Witch

A messageboard for all things genres

Blair Witch Multi-Genre Discussion

Related game: Blair Witch

  • Posted on 30 August 19 at 06:42Permalink
    Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

    If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
  • I Boz lI Boz l516,650
    Posted on 30 August 19 at 07:05, Edited on 30 August 19 at 07:14 by I Boz lPermalink
    I know, the game is not available yet, but from what we've already seen in trailers/short gameplays i think we can discuss about it. Of course, in a few hours we can put our hands on it and have a better idea.

    I've always been a bit confused with TAs definitions of adventure/survival horror in some games.

    This is TAs definition of Survival Horror:

    "Survival Horror games see the player placed into a horror-themed environment usually with graphic violence and/or a frightening atmosphere. While enemies can usually be confronted with combat the player is given limited assets such as ammunition, health or the ability to heal, speed and vision. Progress is usually stalled through the use of locked paths and/or puzzles that need to be solved or have specific items collected before being allowed to continue"

    Here TAs definition of Adventure:

    "The Adventure genre includes games where the player takes part in an interactive story. The gameplay typically involves gathering information and items to solve puzzles and advance a story driven plot."

    From my prospective, Adventure is just a general/vague definition that can change when the game has other relevant aspects. It looks like this game has these aspects (underlined above in the SH definition).

    What do you think about it?
  • Posted on 30 August 19 at 11:56Permalink
    This will likely be of similar ilk to slender the arrival, which was classed as action adventure. Which is baffling considering its probably one of the most known 'horrors' yet action horror has the dead rising games in which are definitely action adventure. Interestingly dead space 2/ The evil within is action horror rather then survival horror.. despite all the classic survival elements
  • I Boz lI Boz l516,650
    Posted on 30 August 19 at 13:31, Edited on 30 August 19 at 13:41 by I Boz lPermalink
    NelsonT1805 said:
    This will likely be of similar ilk to slender the arrival, which was classed as action adventure. Which is baffling considering its probably one of the most known 'horrors' yet action horror has the dead rising games in which are definitely action adventure. Interestingly dead space 2/ The evil within is action horror rather then survival horror.. despite all the classic survival elements
    I see your point.
    It will be more accurate to diversify the adventure genre then (one will be "horror adventure" for example...and it will fit Slender or Outlast imo, because you're not allowed to kill enemies and there are no weapons).

    Dead Rising: to be honest, it's not scary at all but the zombie element is the series concept so i'm fine with it as action horror (it's more frightening a game like Observer in my opinion, but that's another story).

    More complicated are Dead Space or The Evil Within as they're on the edge of both action/survival...but it's ok to label them as action horror (if you think about it, the survival component is very poor: huge amount of weapons/ammo/health; almost always you've to kill everything in your path instead of avoiding enemies or going stealth)...

    ...with the exception of The Evil Within 1: even if there are some action phases, almost the entire game is a perfect example of a survival horror! This one should be fixed, no question.
  • SkrubitsSkrubits553,944
    Posted on 30 August 19 at 14:48Permalink
    It’s an adventure game for sure, just horror themed. The appropriate genre would be ‘Horror-Adventure’.
    Would you kindly?
  • imnotGEOFFimnotGEOFF401,180
    Posted on 30 August 19 at 18:10Permalink
    Really need horror and 1st person tags.
  • Zam0070Zam0070237,120
    Posted on 31 August 19 at 19:07Permalink
    Skrubits said:
    It’s an adventure game for sure, just horror themed. The appropriate genre would be ‘Horror-Adventure’.
    Agreed. This doesn't really fit either of the existing horror tags of horror-action or horror-survival.
  • I Boz lI Boz l516,650
    Posted on 01 September 19 at 07:01Permalink
    Ok. I've played the whole game so forget about the initial post about the "survival thing": it's absolutely not this kind of game.

    I Boz l said:
    It will be more accurate to diversify the adventure genre then (one will be "horror adventure" for example.
    Like i wrote before, this game is definitely an Horror Adventure.

    The problem is that this genre doesn't exist on TA. Also, if you think about similar games like Outlast, they're defined as Survival Horror (wrongly)...but i think it's the closest one
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,809,921
    Posted on 02 September 19 at 05:01Permalink
    We need a "horror" tag. I mean, some games like Blair Witch and Outlast are clear horror. In reality, though, Blair Witch is a walking sim, which plants it pretty firmly into Adventure.

    Still needs a horror tag. This isn't a run-of-the-mill Adventure, and other games would appropriately be called "horror" as well.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 02 September 19 at 12:45Permalink
    The horror in Layers of Fear, Blair Witch, Slender, Kholat and other games is purely a thematic one. The gameplay is no different from any other walking sim like Gone Home, Firewatch or Ethan Carter. Outlast makes the cut because you have to actively run and hide from enemies, but more importantly because you have to conserve bandages and batteries to have a better chance at survival. We only make genres when there's a massive difference in gameplay to justify them. Where does the line get drawn? Will we be asked for Sci-Fi Adventure, Romantic Adventure, or Comedy Adventure genres next? It just doesn't make sense from a genre perspective if there's no distinguishing gameplay elements.
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,809,921
    Posted on 02 September 19 at 14:26Permalink
    Vitiated1 said:
    Will we be asked for Sci-Fi Adventure, Romantic Adventure, or Comedy Adventure genres next?
    ...sure? smile
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 02 September 19 at 14:56Permalink
    Sashamorning said:
    Vitiated1 said:
    Will we be asked for Sci-Fi Adventure, Romantic Adventure, or Comedy Adventure genres next?
    ...sure? smile
    I think Rich himself is on record saying he's against that, which is the main reason why we shut it down. People on GT aren't a fan of it either.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 02 September 19 at 16:27Permalink
    I completely agree that Horror should not extend to other genres when it only exists thematically. I guess I just don't understand why Action Horror is a genre when each of the games in that genre could be accurately defined by their other genres. Horror only seems to exist thematically in those cases.

    Like I said, though, I agree that Survival Horror needs to be limited to the games that fall within the specific definition of that genre. I don't think some people understand why that genre has had a specific definition for years and why it would be irrational to simply include every horror-themed game within it.
    Your all-time low just lowered again
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,809,921
    Posted on 02 September 19 at 20:19Permalink
    Vitiated1 said:
    Sashamorning said:
    Vitiated1 said:
    Will we be asked for Sci-Fi Adventure, Romantic Adventure, or Comedy Adventure genres next?
    ...sure? smile
    I think Rich himself is on record saying he's against that, which is the main reason why we shut it down. People on GT aren't a fan of it either.
    [sarcasm] wink

    Romantic Adventure totally needs to be a thing, fo' sho'.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 02 September 19 at 23:44Permalink
    Narcissist Code said:
    I completely agree that Horror should not extend to other genres when it only exists thematically. I guess I just don't understand why Action Horror is a genre when each of the games in that genre could be accurately defined by their other genres. Horror only seems to exist thematically in those cases.

    Like I said, though, I agree that Survival Horror needs to be limited to the games that fall within the specific definition of that genre. I don't think some people understand why that genre has had a specific definition for years and why it would be irrational to simply include every horror-themed game within it.
    The only reason we have Action Horror is because games like The Evil Within play wildly differently from games like Silent Hill 2. It exists so games with totally different playstyles aren't all lumped under Survival Horror, especially when in most Action Horror titles the whole "Survivial" aspect of it is nonexistent.
  • I Boz lI Boz l516,650
    Posted on 03 September 19 at 09:36, Edited on 03 September 19 at 10:00 by I Boz lPermalink
    Vitiated1 said:
    especially when in most Action Horror titles the whole "Survivial" aspect of it is nonexistent.
    If that's the reason for TEW, i totally disagree.
    While the 2nd is absolutely an action horror, the 1st has mainly survival aspects
  • Posted on 03 September 19 at 17:15Permalink
    Vitiated1 said:
    Narcissist Code said:
    I completely agree that Horror should not extend to other genres when it only exists thematically. I guess I just don't understand why Action Horror is a genre when each of the games in that genre could be accurately defined by their other genres. Horror only seems to exist thematically in those cases.

    Like I said, though, I agree that Survival Horror needs to be limited to the games that fall within the specific definition of that genre. I don't think some people understand why that genre has had a specific definition for years and why it would be irrational to simply include every horror-themed game within it.
    The only reason we have Action Horror is because games like The Evil Within play wildly differently from games like Silent Hill 2. It exists so games with totally different playstyles aren't all lumped under Survival Horror, especially when in most Action Horror titles the whole "Survivial" aspect of it is nonexistent.
    The definitions, per the site description:

    Action Horror games see the player placed into a horror-themed environment usually with graphic violence and/or a frightening atmosphere. Enemies can be confronted in combat and defeated en masse throughout the game, with an abundance of supplies, weapons, ammunition, and health available for the player to utilize and collect in order to defeat these enemies.

    Survival Horror games see the player placed into a horror-themed environment usually with graphic violence and/or a frightening atmosphere. While enemies can usually be confronted with combat the player is given limited assets such as ammunition, health or the ability to heal, speed and vision. Progress is usually stalled through the use of locked paths and/or puzzles that need to be solved or have specific items collected before being allowed to continue.
    Those really don't sound very different to me. And to argue that it "exists so games with totally different playstyles aren't all lumped under Survival Horror" doesn't really work for me either, because lumping Blair Witch and Layers of Fear and many other games under Adventure is just doing the exact same thing.

    I would agree that survival horror may not be the best tag for it, but adventure certainly doesn't cut it either. At least in my opinion. I don't see the harm in adding an additional genre to reflect it, considering you already listed at least 4 games that would fall into that category already.
    If war never changes, then men must change, and so must their symbols. Even if it is nothing at all, know what you follow, Courier."
  • Posted on 03 September 19 at 18:13Permalink
    I'll make a determination after I play the game, due diligence and all that
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.