TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

The Banner Saga Discussion - Spoiler Free

AuthorMessage
TVippy
TVippy
Posted on 04 September 19 at 20:25
Am I correct in thinking that the game is just a series of battles with visual novel pieces inserted in between? This is what makes the whole game underwhelming for me (although I like the visual style).
I don't play games very often. :( If you have a close GamerScore, add me! We'll compete. :)
wolfsburgraz
wolfsburgraz
Posted on 05 September 19 at 17:14
I haven't started this yet but intend to before the month is through. The series has always interested me but I've never given it a try. The walkthrough looks very thorough, I will likely be using it a lot.
j12damax
j12damax
Posted on 06 September 19 at 05:18
Tried it, thought it was okay as far as turn-based games went. Not motivated enough to go back and do the hard mode achieves.
"That was totally uncalled for, but a lot of fun to watch."
DeliriousDrew
DeliriousDrew
Posted on 07 September 19 at 00:02
had this for a while, now seems a good time to start
???
zoidberg1339
zoidberg1339
Posted on 07 September 19 at 15:38
I like a good turn based game but I never heard enough good things about this to try it. Looks like it’s a bit of a time sink too, I prefer the more casual turn based games. I think Child of Light is still my favorite.
I just wanted to play video games.
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 08 September 19 at 16:34
Kaz Adama said:
The characters and story were good and kept me interested. The battles are fine, not too tough once I figured out a plan.

What really made me happy were the Oregon-Trail-esque random events. During a blind playthrough my caravan had some incredible swings of luck on the road. Fun stuff, even when my decisions blew up in my face from time to time.
Was on the fence about this one, mostly because the month is already packed with new, good looking games (Control, Blair Witch, even Gears 5 looks tantalizing); however, the Oregon Trail comment piqued my interest ... might start this on up next week if its a combination of Oregon Trail and M&M Tactics.

(It'll be yet another game I start but don't finish within the month...)
JohnnyInterfnk
Posted on 08 September 19 at 16:39, Edited on 08 September 19 at 16:42 by JohnnyInterfnk
Also, the game has to get over my emnity for it for beating What Remains of Edith Finch (aka the best game of this generation). How could the best game of this generation lose?

(Probably not the right forum to whine about this, but again, how could What Remains of Edith FInch lose?)

Ok rant over. Will start Banner Saga next week...
imaidiot19
imaidiot19
Posted on 08 September 19 at 16:57
Not my type of game, so I'm going to pass this month. Hoping for October!
Yes, I know I am.
Silverhellspawn
Posted on 08 September 19 at 18:50
Loved the first game in this serie and will start the 2nd entry as soon as I completed Dragons Dogma. Good times!
I feel like dynamite!
Bilbo3DCNC
Bilbo3DCNC
Posted on 09 September 19 at 00:31
I oddly have never played a game like this before. I guess it is because I am more for fast-paced action in video games but I do enjoy strategy games and this one is turning out to be a good one. The graphics are not as bad as I thought they would be from reading through here and the Oregon-Trail comparison grabbed me because TBH who doesn't love Oregon-Trail?? I just hope that I don't die of Dysentery in this one! ha!
British Legends
Posted on 09 September 19 at 14:26
Worth playing?
Rista B
Rista B
Posted on 09 September 19 at 23:20
For those wondering if it's good/not good...I played through the entire game but didn't do it on the hardest difficulty and also had an issue with the low morale achievement. Couldn't get it to pop even following the guide.

It is turned based, so if that puts you off then forget it. I thought the story and characters were interesting and setting up and playing through the battles were fun. Also the RPG elements of developing character skills and some of the "charms" you could find or purchase for stat bonuses added an additional element of planning/strategy.

I found it to be a fun, relaxing strategy game that only takes a couple of dozen hours to play through vs. some strategy games that can take many times that amount to make progress through.
Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 10 September 19 at 07:50
If you’re not set on getting 1000/1000 as fast as possible it’s worth playing through “blind”. Do the best you can. I lost a key character to a poor choice, it’s kind of fun just sucking it up and dealing with it.

Also, I’m a table top gamer (Warmachine and others), if you’re a fan of table top or really like XCOM’s battles then this is a game you won’t want to miss.
xSpartanReapers
Posted on 11 September 19 at 01:04
Is this a turn-based game?
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 11 September 19 at 10:14
xSpartanReapers said:
Is this a turn-based game?
Yeah the battle system alternates turns between sides, each side moves a character then trades back. The one exception is on the final enemy it switches to Pillage mode where your whole team gets a turn then the last surviving enemy. This is a good time to complete those “Get a kill with...” achievements with characters you generally don’t use.

On Easy you don’t have to deal with wounded comrades, of you win, you move on (healing wounded usually means resting which consumes supplies, though wounds only happen if a character loses all of their strength pool, aka hit points). Enemies also have less armor and less strength (which is both HP and damage, so if you lose strength you’re closer to death AND deal less damage).
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 11 September 19 at 10:42
freedomgirl85 said:
Played it last night. It is pretty bad. 80s cartoon crap with ancient computer gameplay

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Add this to the list of horrible TA playlist choices
I love slow, strategic games. I remember playing Civ III on play by email!

I also thought the animation was superb.
"I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 11 September 19 at 13:35
TymanTheLong said:
Also, I’m a table top gamer (Warmachine and others), if you’re a fan of table top or really like XCOM’s battles then this is a game you won’t want to miss.
+1

This has much better visuals than I expected. I, personally, like tactical games where astute decisions have an impact on a slowly evolving strategy.
Link5646
Link5646
Posted on 11 September 19 at 18:41
I see that The Banner Saga uses a grid based system. Does the game function similarly to something like Fire Emblem, or is it a lot different? If there are games similar to it, gameplay wise, let me know.
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 12 September 19 at 10:35
Link5646 said:
I see that The Banner Saga uses a grid based system. Does the game function similarly to something like Fire Emblem, or is it a lot different? If there are games similar to it, gameplay wise, let me know.
It’s been a long time since I’ve played a Fire Emblem game, it would be similar to the ones from 10-15 years ago except if your characters fall in combat they can be healed. Your story choices can get your characters killed though.

The combat feels more table top to me (in fact that’s how they developed it by playing table top and rolling dice).
Shred Asics 13
Posted on 12 September 19 at 19:29
Artwork, Story, and Character Development are an absolute 10/10. The combination of Strategy RPG and "Oregon Trail" esque travel is unique and fun.

The Grid system is very basic in terms of movements, however there is much strategy involved in the higher difficulty. The most generalized game tip I can give is that you basically want to maim/weaken your enemies before wasting turns killing them. Being turn based, it's an advantage for weaker enemies to take turns, then opposed to swiftly killing them, enabling more turns for full strength enemies.

Even if you mess up some achievements (and you will), doing repeat runs are fairly quick and fun anyways.

The "Survival DLC" is very fun and challenging and I hope they bring it to BS3 (it is available on Steam though).

In short, I am a JRPG fan, and I love the classic SRPGs like Shining Force, FF Tactics, Fire Emblem... This scratches that itch and also presents a very engaging story. Good enough to be a film. Feel free to PM me on any game questions as I loved every minute playing this series.

Hope you all enjoy!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.