TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

The Banner Saga Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 01 September 19 at 00:00
Welcome back to another TA Playlist month. Use this thread to speak freely about The Banner Saga and assume anything goes in here.
fireiz
fireiz
Posted on 01 September 19 at 05:32
i will bookmark this and hope i can see great discussion to tip me into playing it, cause this game is really on my radar, but i am not sure whether i have what it takes to get it done
Have no fear, Amjad is here
ZW
ZW
Posted on 03 September 19 at 02:41
I completely agree. The genre is my least favorite, couldn’t make it threw final fantasy tactics. Multiple plays doesn’t excite me either.
??ZW???????????????????????????????????
Mr DopeGaming
Mr DopeGaming
Posted on 04 September 19 at 03:37
Good luck with the TA playlist everyone. This is a bit to corny for me lol
https://www.facebook.com/DopeGamingx1
Bilbo3DCNC
Bilbo3DCNC
Posted on 09 September 19 at 00:33
I'm becoming a big fan of the map. It's handy for those that want to look at it and for those that want to get deeper in the game it gives lots of information and lore. Cool feature that didn't have to be added in.
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 10 September 19 at 07:58
So.... I got Gunnulf killed... permanently. I’m not really using a walk through the first go and just eating all my decisions, good or bad.

I hear Gunnulf is one of the best characters, gonna make sure he lives if I play through a second time.
Bilbo3DCNC
Bilbo3DCNC
Posted on 10 September 19 at 15:29
Is there a way to see what weapon each character uses on the battle screen? I keep mixing up which guy uses what.
SabenRothschild
Posted on 10 September 19 at 20:17
Yeah, I lost Gunnulf first time through too - didn't have any trouble finishing out the game, but I was playing on easy for that run laugh

Only just into the first fight on hard and the difference is staggering. Definitely gonna keep him alive this time through.
freedomgirl85
freedomgirl85
Posted on 10 September 19 at 21:11
man this game is killing it as the TA playlist choice. It took me hours and hours to read the discussions about it
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 11 September 19 at 10:19
Bilbo3DCNC said:
Is there a way to see what weapon each character uses on the battle screen? I keep mixing up which guy uses what.
Hit Down on the D-pad and a tool tip pops up for the current character. As for deployment, you set the turn order before battle, you cycle through with Left/Right D-pad.

Weapons don’t mean much, just stats and abilities. Rook is ranged and melee capable, most characters are one or the other. Varl have no ranged classes. If the character has a shield they generally have higher base armor.
The Noto
The Noto
Posted on 18 September 19 at 17:30
I'm having a little difficulty with this game following the walkthrough. I dig the story, but I don't like the economy being based around the "renown" system. I don't want to purchase supplies and items with the same currency that I need to level up my characters.

I'm also playing through on normal. I'm somewhere within Chapter 3 right now, and while I haven't lost a main battle yet, I have sometimes lost second battles in "wars" (but I've quit/restarted as I don't want to lose morale). And I'm routinely suffering from too many downed players that need to rest after battles. I don't know what I can do to combat that, but it is concerning to me for the future Hard playthrough.

I enjoy stuff like FFT, but I'm used to having a healer class or something, and it seems like there is no way to heal your party in battle. So far, I'm liking this game a lot, and I'm enjoying learning it mechanically but I'm not in love with it.
TymanTheLong
TymanTheLong
Posted on 20 September 19 at 23:05, Edited on 21 September 19 at 03:42 by TymanTheLong
The Noto said:
I'm having a little difficulty with this game following the walkthrough. I dig the story, but I don't like the economy being based around the "renown" system. I don't want to purchase supplies and items with the same currency that I need to level up my characters.

I'm also playing through on normal. I'm somewhere within Chapter 3 right now, and while I haven't lost a main battle yet, I have sometimes lost second battles in "wars" (but I've quit/restarted as I don't want to lose morale). And I'm routinely suffering from too many downed players that need to rest after battles. I don't know what I can do to combat that, but it is concerning to me for the future Hard playthrough.

I enjoy stuff like FFT, but I'm used to having a healer class or something, and it seems like there is no way to heal your party in battle. So far, I'm liking this game a lot, and I'm enjoying learning it mechanically but I'm not in love with it.
So the game doesn’t make it obvious but you’re actually not supposed to pick and choose who you upgrade. You can beat the game on normal with several level 2 people on your combat roster.

Basically do this with food: check the exchange rate for food, anything 4 per renown and up is a good price, stock up above normal. If it’s more than that try and get as close to 10 days worth as you can and then move on. The game is more forgiving than you think.

The second thing the game does a poor job of telling you is that when your caravan is traveling you can force it to stop at most points in the game by hitting Y which brings up a menu and the. A to Camp. Then you can rest, this still expends food but less of it as more days traveling wounded takes longer to heal and healthy party members tend to make combat safer.

This is the Spoiler thread so you might as well know you do get a healer of sorts mid game. He can only heal armor values, this can keep a tank character up, though. Mid game you should have one or two characters that can one hit weaker enemies without taking out any armor first. Archers that stand still can also benefit from their Puncture ability, which can hit through quite a bit of armor to down a powerful enemy a turn earlier than normal.

Some characters die due to the story or your choices. I can give you a spoiler of a strong team that will last if you like:

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

I try to save upgrades until right after I purchase supplies. Buying trinkets is basically a trap unless you really understand what you’re getting, save your Renown and don’t Level anybody you’re not using.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.