Game Discussion: Blair Witch

Blair Witch Not A Walkthrough - Part 1 - Beginning to Truck Fuse Puzzle

• SashamorningSashamorning1,804,795
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 08:58, Edited on 09 September 19 at 09:01 by SashamorningPermalink
    Now with all collectibles!

Part 1: Blair Witch Not A Walkthrough - Part 1 - Beginning to Truck Fuse Puzzle
    Part 2: Blair Witch Not A Walkthrough - Part 2 - Truck Fuse Puzzle to Rail Track
    Part 3: Blair Witch Not A Walkthrough - Part 3 - Rail Track to Third Campsite
    Part 4: Blair Witch Not A Walkthrough - Part 4 - Third Campsite to Finale

This is my unofficial Not A Walkthrough. At this point, I think it's about as complete as it can be.

I don't have the equipment to make videos, so yeah, this is more geared to those who like to be able to skip right to particular points in the game.

You should use your saves to help you "select" chapters. Dying in this game only sets you back a few seconds. This game is not meant to penalize you heavily. It's an adventure title. As such, use save files as a way to skip to various parts that you may want to go back to. (Or don't. It's your choice. smile)

You should play this once completely blind. I'll forewarn you that you will have to play through twice in any case, since there are achievements for killing/not killing monsters, and an achievement that actually requires you to restart the game again. Do yourself a favor and play through it once without any help. It's a pretty good experience.

The complete game requires two complete plays. My suggestion is get your collectibles on your first run. This involves breaking totems and almost certainly will therefore net you a particular ending.

On your second run, go completely stealth, use only the night vision from your camcorder as your light source, and kill no monsters. This will be your Pacifism run, which should also get you Break The Cycle. I was fortunate enough to be the first on the site to Break the Cycle, so the suggestions I give are the ones I used. If you follow the guide, you should earn these:
    Blair WitchSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Blair Witch worth 624 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement
    Blair WitchSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Blair Witch worth 1280 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement
    You have to get Pacifist to get Break the Cycle.

Notes for Pacifist: In order to kill no monsters, you're going to want to turn your brightness all the way up so that you can see monsters better in the dark. You should also be used to using your camcorder instead of your flashlight (which is why saving this for your second run is a better idea). Leave the rail cart at Camp A and travel on foot while you fix the machine.

When I got Break the Cycle, I destroyed no totems at all. However, you will need to destroy totems in order to get all of the photos.

I assume that breaking totems will nullify Break the Cycle. BE WARNED.

I'm listing the totems. You can decide whether to break them and get the prize inside. Also, if you break 10 of these (across however many playthroughs), you'll earn
    Blair WitchBullet doesn't like'emThe Bullet doesn't like'em achievement in Blair Witch worth 33 pointsBreak 10 totems.

As noted in the comments (and suggested by the game itself), using headphones greatly helps in finding items and navigating the game. It especially helps with finding totems, which is where the bulk of the photos are. So use headphones and enjoy the side benefit of having the crap scared out of you. wink

I'll list collectibles in order. All collectibles you find carry over. There is no chapter select. Once you find a collectible, it WILL show up in subsequent plays, but it will not add to the counter. Therefore, you may want to note which ones you get as you go.

Always be nice to Bullet. Pet him and give him treats.

Always talk to Jess when you can. Sometimes your window is very short. I'll be sure to note these.

Here we go!

Note: chapter transitions aren't always very clear. You only know if you've actually moved chapters by saving your game.

Prologue
    Before we get to anything else, answer the call from Jess on the way in. Ignore the hands-free driving laws.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Let's take a pause for some miscellaneous achievements. Pull out your phone (press cn_RB then move your stick to the phone) go down to Phonebook, and select Donny's Pizza. Call it 6 times.
    Blair WitchI hate pizzaThe I hate pizza achievement in Blair Witch worth 73 pointsMake the pizza guy lose it.

Now go to Games. Choose Cobra Master. This is a simple old-school Nokia-era snake game where you have to eat the dots without running into yourself. You can go through the walls and come out on the other side. Eat 40 dots.
    Blair WitchSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Blair Witch worth 64 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

(This next area is still considered Prologue.)

Chapter 2 - Off the Beaten Path (there is no "chapter 1")

Chapter 3 - The Abandoned Camp

Chapter 4 - Into the Darkness

Chapter 4 - The Reunion

Part 2: Blair Witch Not A Walkthrough - Part 2 - Truck Fuse Puzzle to Rail Track
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • funkyTiifunkyTii674,178
    Posted on 02 September 19 at 23:19Permalink
    This is very awesome and clarifies quite a bit! Thank you!
  • Posted on 03 September 19 at 13:16Permalink
    Thank you for doing this. I don't think anyone has a better guide than you do
  • Posted on 03 September 19 at 15:44Permalink
    You can find the Matthias photo after passing out in chapter 2 just turn around from where bullet wakes you up its under the same log.
    Please excuse my typos I'm typing on my ducking phone.
    Posted on 03 September 19 at 18:48Permalink
    Homunculus Fury said:
    You can find the Matthias photo after passing out in chapter 2 just turn around from where bullet wakes you up its under the same log.
    Seriously? Well that's a lot easier...
    Posted on 03 September 19 at 18:48Permalink
    My main focus next is numbering all of the visible so everyone knows where they should be on the tracker.
  • Posted on 03 September 19 at 21:29Permalink
    Sashamorning said:
    Homunculus Fury said:
    Seriously? Well that's a lot easier...
    yeah I found it once right before I passed out but it wouldn't let me pick it up and when I woke up I was in a different spot. So I went back and looked for it. 2nd time I noticed I woke up in the same spot as before and the photo was in the same spot as before.
    Posted on 03 September 19 at 23:14Permalink
    Cool. I'll post it. Thanks!
  • Calex dEUSCalex dEUS977,782
    Posted on 04 September 19 at 20:16, Edited on 04 September 19 at 20:19 by Calex dEUSPermalink
    The Matthias K one definitely wasn't behind me after waking up it was a decent distance ahead of me with my back to the embankment. I would say it's at the back of the somewhat open middle area in that section.

I would say facing the bushes the dog wants you to go through before you get the phone call look 9 O'clock , the area is ahead and once there hug the right wall to find the branch.
    Posted on 04 September 19 at 21:02Permalink
    I've made it more vague. One way or another, it's in that rather small area before Bullet leads you out.
    Posted on 05 September 19 at 21:12, Edited on 05 September 19 at 21:16 by Calex dEUSPermalink
    For the red tape in chapter 4 , let bullet sniff the candy wrapper when he finds it (you'll get a prompt to press lb) and he'll go get it.

Also for the totems, I've noticed tonight while playing as I'm using headphones now it's much easier to find them via the audio cues as you can gett a better sense of the direction the noise is coming from.
    Posted on 05 September 19 at 21:38Permalink
    Calex dEUS said:
    For the red tape in chapter 4 , let bullet sniff the candy wrapper when he finds it (you'll get a prompt to press lb) and he'll go get it.

Also for the totems, I've noticed tonight while playing as I'm using headphones now it's much easier to find them via the audio cues as you can gett a better sense of the direction the noise is coming from.
    These are good points. Thanks! toast
    Posted on 07 September 19 at 21:11, Edited on 07 September 19 at 21:12 by Calex dEUSPermalink
    You left out 3 of the garbage collectables from chapter one.

Empty Cigarette pack, Empty coffee cup, and the Old Sock.
    Posted on 07 September 19 at 22:11Permalink
    I didn't leave them out, they're in the video I linked to. That being said, I need to say what's in the video. facepalm

Thanks again. toast
  • Posted on 09 September 19 at 02:51Permalink
    One question. If I were to follow this Not a Walkthrough to the letter, all 4 parts, would I get the completion? Besides needing to play multiple times, of course.
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 08:56, Edited on 09 September 19 at 08:57 by SashamorningPermalink
    That's the idea. Once to get the collectibles and Take His Face, once to get Pacifist and Break The Cycle.

I just put it 4 parts because it's so long.
  • Posted on 09 September 19 at 09:23Permalink
    So I got break the cycle but not pacifist is it glitched?
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 15:22Permalink
    I don't know.
  • FrostygillsFrostygills406,337
    Posted on 26 September 19 at 17:31Permalink
    Thanks for the guide, without it I wouldn’t have played the game, as I don’t like horror games but, was compelled to try it.
  • sjeemonesjeemone981,745
    Posted on 25 October 19 at 23:00Permalink
    Maxumilli0n's clip for the 3 garbage items has been removed. Just letting you know if you want to update your guide.

Great work by the way!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.