The Original Off Topic Board Forum

Chat about anything you like!

Burned out gamer?

AuthorMessage
NPC Noob
NPC Noob
Posted on 04 September 19 at 13:59
I think I am burned out and I am not sure how to get back into gaming, I was on Xbox for a few years, then I got a PlayStation 3 and I learned about Achievement/Trophy Hunting, met a clan of hunters and that's when I started trying to get 100% completion, every time I failed a new account was made, I would say at least 50 profiles were made trying to do it, eventually I got an Xbox one but I can't seem to play like I used to and stop caring what achievements I have. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to stop hunting?
CRUM LEE
CRUM LEE
Posted on 04 September 19 at 14:14
Don't stress over it. Find other hobbies outside of gaming that you enjoy. There will be months where I barely play anything and focus on other aspects of life. It helps me to rejuvenate my passion for gaming. You may never get that passion back either - and that's totally fine as long as you've found other things you enjoy. Life is about balance!
Johnny Sinister
Posted on 04 September 19 at 14:28
It sounds to me like the pursuit of 100% completion is what was killing your passion. I strive for high completion percent, but at the same time, I won't avoid games that are really hard or have known unobtainable achievements.

I think when the possibility of perfection is gone, it allows for you to focus on other aspects.

Maybe get Game Pass if you haven't already and just start games as you please and get back into playing something you enjoy instead of playing for achievements.

Hell, you can even turn off all notifications so you aren't tempted by achievements unlocking.

Just a suggestion.
NPC Noob
NPC Noob
Posted on 04 September 19 at 14:38
My thought is to get rid of the games I have played many times and start over, no old profiles on my system, take game recommendations from friends, no notifications, even if I don't have a TA account, I have been gaming since the 90's and I plan on continuing for many more years to come.
ReprobateGamer
Posted on 04 September 19 at 16:46
I think the idea of playing with friends would help - unless all of the group are also hunters ...

Turning off notifications for achievements is also a good idea - you'll still be able to look at them if you want but it doesn't then break you from the game when they pop

And remind yourself that it's okay not to 100% a game if it's burning you out - better to take a step back and do something not on the Xbox, or just messing around with friends than get to the point where a long-term hobby becomes something you are forcing yourself to do.

It could be something like the bean dive is an idea - play a bunch of different games (Game Pass would be good for this), including ones you wouldn't normally touch, or that have stuck in a digital library for a while and force your completion percentage down, then go "that's ok" and move on to something else, telling yourself that it's okay to do that.

It can be hard - I haven't finished an Assassins Creed game since Brotherhood as that game series always makes me want to 100% each one and I don't have the time - but you just need to keep reminding yourself that it is okay just to play a game for fun, rather than as a checklist

Let us know what works for you!
New videos on the youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIKVa8aVy9Wub5y1b__z6w
SheBeatsYou
SheBeatsYou
Posted on 04 September 19 at 20:06, Edited on 04 September 19 at 20:12 by SheBeatsYou
I recently got into completions and hunting but after 10 years of damage to my gamer tag I know I cant do allot so I set a reasonable goal to eventually get and maintain a higher than 50% ratio and just complete the games I enjoy. Have been enjoying gaming so much more not aiming for a perfect everything. They are about to have a contest called UHH5 it's a matchup where you have 20 achievements to get per week which is what got me back into gaming last year and the main reason I came back after not gaming for a few months. Might just be the spark you need you should consider signing up when you see the announcement coming soon hopefully. As far as not hunting I have no advice for you there once your a hunter I find it hard to undo unless M$ enables disabling Achievements maybe id enjoy more of the games I play.
NPC Noob
NPC Noob
Posted on 04 September 19 at 21:05
Is that contest on TA?
SheBeatsYou
SheBeatsYou
Posted on 04 September 19 at 23:10, Edited on 04 September 19 at 23:10 by SheBeatsYou
Yes its my fav thing TA does. Last year it started about this time so hoping to hear something soon. If u search forums for UHH u can see what its about. Hope its still a thing or gonna be a buzzkill.
NPC Noob
NPC Noob
Posted on 04 September 19 at 23:50
I read about it and it's how I started hunting on PlayStation 3, I would find a friend with a game in common and try to get more trophies than they had.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.