Game Discussion: Gears 5

Horde

• Wick N MortyWick N Morty628,683
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 02:19
    Haven't been able to play too much of horde because of servers but does anyone else prefer Gears 4 horde over 5? Or is it just me
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 09 September 19 at 06:08
    i haven't touched horde in Gears 5, but why u prefer 4 over 5?
    anything in particular?
    Have no fear, Amjad is here
  • RSBennettRSBennett432,967
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 06:41
    So far I want to say I prefer 4 but I think right now it’s purely because I understand how that one works. There’s some new mechanics (or rather how the classes work now) that I just don’t quite get, but I’ll get there with it I’m sure.
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 14:35
    4 just seemed more team based, build a base and hold it down (which is what horde should be imo) but maybe I agree with RSBennett that I just know how that one works.

5 seems more chaotic, I've seen only certain characters can buy certain fortifications, which I don't know if I like. When I played as Kait the only thing I could buy from fabricator was weapons, no fortifications at all. Feel as though people are only upgrading their individual perks with the power, so it's almost like what is the point of the fabricator?
  • EI BikerboyEI Bikerboy486,470
    Posted on 09 September 19 at 15:24
    Played some horde here and there and it really feels like a lonely experience,
    everyone building fortifications or doing their own thing.

I prefer Gears 4 Horde or maybe I am just not used to it at the moment.
  • Posted on 09 September 19 at 16:56, Edited on 09 September 19 at 16:58 by ameracin desi
    rad fad said:
    When I played as Kait the only thing I could buy from fabricator was weapons, no fortifications at all. Feel as though people are only upgrading their individual perks with the power, so it's almost like what is the point of the fabricator?
    Agreed. I played as Kait as well and I also noticed I could only buy low level weapons from the fabricator. But I really liked the ability to upgrade individual perks! In 4, playing horde with random teammates power was mostly wasted on useless items and fortifications were pointless because its not like the fabricator has health and is being targeted. In 5, we now power up and get to roam around the map freely and around its layout which I enjoyed more. Any power picked up by any person gets split evenly among all the players, so fighting to pick up power is pointless. I also like that clicking LB and RB simultaneously will skip the next wave countdown timer. Sometimes too much time is wasted between waves. Just wish I could stay in the game without getting dropped! If anyone wants to play my name is my gt, hit me up!
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz647,996
    Posted on 10 September 19 at 12:52
    Ron Jeremy R6 said:
    Played some horde here and there and it really feels like a lonely experience,
    everyone building fortifications or doing their own thing.

I prefer Gears 4 Horde or maybe I am just not used to it at the moment.
    Interesting that you say that because it should feel the opposite due to the fact that only certain characters can build fortifications. I.e. Del is basically an engineer.

Gears 4 was worse in this respect because anyone could buy anything and usually they did unless you were working with friends.

Saying that - So far I DO prefer Gears 4 horde significantly.
  • Posted on 11 September 19 at 15:25, Edited on 11 September 19 at 15:30 by DrSchlepenstein
    Its 50/50 for me. Based on the changes that have been made to Horde, I think currently I prefer Gears 4, but Gears 5 may just take getting used to. But it feels like TC saw how people played Gears 4 Horde with speed runs, and mass walls of sentries, and hording power to spam Hammers and Sniper Strikes and decided to change things to prevent it from now on.

So far, I like that:
    - power is evenly distributed regardless of who picks it, so there is no longer a mad dash and people hording mass amounts of power.
    - the perks are nice, but some feel useless, like ammo regen as even if you get it to 10, you are barely getting any ammo back.
    - each character has a special ability that recharges and doesn't cost anything to use.
    - you no longer need to spend power to upgrade the fabricator to upgrade fortifications to higher levels, as long as you have the power you can upgrade anything to level 4 at any time.

So far, I dislike that:
    - you can't pick what character you want to play as then pick a class, each character is locked into a class.
    - even on beginner difficulty it seems ammo boxes barely give any ammo back, and I feel like I'm burning through it even faster.
    - it doesn't feel team based anymore and fortifications are barely getting built, as everyone is upgrading their perks instead of putting it in the fabricator for the engineer to use. And everyone just goes off and does there own thing, its more like a versus match than horde sometimes
    - pressing the right stick is now how you pick things up and place them.
    - the bad side of not upgrading the fabricator, you always buy fortifications at level 1 and have to upgrade it instead of just buying an already upgraded version.
    - restrictions on what weapons/fortifications you can buy from the fabricator. It seems each character can only buy specific ones if any at all.
    - the AI bots, they are morons who stand in the line of fire, follow you around like a lost dog sometimes, or stay out in the open at random points along the map causing enemies to spawn real close to where you placed the fabricator. Think TC put them in to prevent spawn trapping and letting the last guy bleed out to give you extra time in between waves, as they shoot the enemy crawling. Also can't get them to swap weapons with me.

And I haven't tried yet, but does Horde have character restrictions like Escape where no 2 people can be the same character? If so that gets added to the dislike list. But I'm sure once I get used to the new mechanics it wont be bad. I thought similarly with the changes made between Gears 2 and Gears 3 Horde.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle2,096,573
    Posted on 11 September 19 at 15:39
    Yes, it also has the character restriction.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 September 19 at 10:40
    does anyone know how much additional exp you earn for playing horde with the difficulty modifiers?
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz647,996
    Posted on 12 September 19 at 10:47
    What GIVES with the fortification costs going up so high with each level yet the LEVEL for each item remains at level 1 when it is built.

I.e. a Level 1 barrier costs 7000 or somecrap in the later waves but is still a level 1 barrier. I understand that they now allow you to upgrade at any point but with this logic the base cost should remain the same (low).

Something is not right.
  • funkyTiifunkyTii1,180,298
    Posted on 12 September 19 at 21:29
    You need an engineer class to upgrade fortifications. Like Del.
  • XBox Assassin83XBox Assassin831,027,180
    Posted on 12 September 19 at 22:47
    Horde was way better in Gears 4 and really only needed additional enemies, variety, and some tweaking. Instead, they attempted to reinvent Horde to Combat Speedruns and exploits but ended up murdering it. REST IN PEACE Horde Mode. 2009-2019
  • Posted on 13 September 19 at 02:04
    Pretty disappointed reading all of the honest feedback. Was hoping horde would be good
    Posted on 14 September 19 at 04:19
    A HUGE dislike of mine is when two people have the same character and they just change you into a different character.
    1. How do they decide who gets to stay that character and who has to change?
    2. Why not let me pick someone else that I want to be, not just throw me in the match as a random character last second?
  • Posted on 14 September 19 at 15:19
    ^ This, especially when your skin = your class/abilities. By giving you a different skin than you chose, it could be giving you a different role and abilities. No reason to tie a skin to a particular class/role. That was one aspect of Gears 4 Horde that was great - have a team of 5 soldiers, or 5 engineers or 5 snipers? No problem. Not here. You can’t overlap skins, so less options for team makeup.
  • InfamousInfamous2,538,345
    Posted on 15 September 19 at 11:00
    HellSpawnCF42 said:
    ^ This, especially when your skin = your class/abilities. By giving you a different skin than you chose, it could be giving you a different role and abilities. No reason to tie a skin to a particular class/role. That was one aspect of Gears 4 Horde that was great - have a team of 5 soldiers, or 5 engineers or 5 snipers? No problem. Not here. You can’t overlap skins, so less options for team makeup.
    Once they add more characters I believe this will be less of an issue, different engineers might have different abilities still but that could only make for more interesting team comps. I do wish the auto-resolve wasn't so random though, I picked Kait first I should get to play Kait, instead some random joins, picks Kait then I'm JD, its ridiculous xD.
  • Posted on 15 September 19 at 16:41
    Started playing as Del (Engineer) and they should have just removed the class and fortifications from the game. Cause from how people are playing horde and what TC has done to the class and fortifications in the game, he's useless. Maybe that will change later on, but right now, he sucks.

I get that the Engineer class is the only who should be building fortifications, but with the addition of perks, no one puts money in the fabricator for the Engineer to build. And it doesn't seem like the Scout class has a bonus % to picking up power, so you get what you get power wise.

But since the Engineer has no perks, the fortifications are being treated as his perks, and increase in price with every 5 fortifications that you build. With every 5 I built, the cost of the next one went up by 1000. They aren't being built at a higher level, still level 1. But yet, I built 5 fences (cause they are the cheapest and I was working toward his challenge medal) and each was 1800 to start. Went to go build a 6th, it's now 2800. Then if I wanted to upgrade it to level 2, its another 1800. Built 10 fences, went to go build #11, it's now 3800. I feel the game is penalizing you for building fortifications, and this is some BS.

And if anyone puts power into the fabricator, only the Engineer can use that power. Had a friend who was playing as Fahz helping me to build stuff by giving me his power, and he put all his power in the fabricator, noticed he had access to buy all the grenades, wanted to buy frags, but since he had no power on him, he couldn't, even though there was 5000 in the fabricator.

I feel like TC hated the way people were playing horde in Gears 4 and have done everything they could to prevent people from playing horde like they did before. I feel like it's Gears 2 horde that i'm playing but with Gears Judgement mechanics.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads