Game Discussion: Gears POP! Forum

Squad Tactic Discussion

AuthorMessage
Lambent Lail
Lambent Lail
Posted on 10 September 19 at 23:31, Edited on 11 September 19 at 17:42 by Lambent Lail
I wanted to start a new thread just for discussing tactics. I hope this can be the main thread to discuss anything combat related, even after the updates and such. That way, there is a single knowledge base.

Many people have been asking me my strategy to reach Gold Arena. I'm happy to share, though please note that since version 1.2 released today, many of my main squad has been nerfed, so this may not be the best strategy anymore.

Anyway, here it is...

Gnasher Gang - Level 11
Cole - Level 12
Ink - Level 14
Reyna - Level 8
Old Man Marcus - Level 4 (largely unused)
Shepherds - Level 14 (largely unused)
Dom - level 9
Carmine - Level 11
E-hole - Level 8

Tactic: Tank and spank by attacking one turret, then going in for the kill for an automatic win. Wait for the power bar to fill, then follow these rules:

• Set Cole up the field, since he is a slow walker with no special ability.
• Set Carmine at the back of the field because he is somewhat fast and needs time to charge his shotgun.
• Set Reyna behind everyone because she runs the fastest and is a glass cannon. You want to aim for the turrets/enemies to aggro the other tanks you've sent up the field, which allows her to sneak in behind everyone and really cause some damage to turrets/players.
• Set Dom at the back of the field so he can charge his heal.
• Gnasher Gang run really fast too, so keep that in mind. Also, one neat little trick is to set the Gnasher Gang right behind Dom or Cole and they will actually push them up the field much faster!
• Set the E-hole either at the back or middle of the field with a goal of creating a line of wretches running up the field alongside tanks. They provide great cannon fodder for enemies/turrets or can cause serious damage if the tanks take the aggro instead.
• Ink the area around the enemy turrets to help mitigate any surprise Pins they drop to try and stop you.
• Don't be afraid to let one of your turrets get attacked or even destroyed. Remember, if you kill them before they kill you, you win!
• If your enemy is making fast headway on one of your turrets or is attacking your main base, place Old Man Marcus or the Shepherds right in front of them to slow them down.
Resident Evil junkie
qwxx
qwxx
Posted on 11 September 19 at 04:28
Since the nerf, I’ve been getting my ass handed to me.
Trombonafide
Trombonafide
Posted on 12 September 19 at 16:32
I'm not sure if my pins are just too low a level for this strategy, or the nerf made this unusable, but I could not make this work today.
Lambent Lail
Lambent Lail
Posted on 12 September 19 at 16:36
Trombonafide said:
I'm not sure if my pins are just too low a level for this strategy, or the nerf made this unusable, but I could not make this work today.
It definitely took some time to understand the best time to place the Pins down. Again, having a full power bar before you place anyone is good so that you can then group up your tanks about midway down the field.

Also, if the other player puts a Pin down first like Old Man Marcus or a Grinder on the right side, then you should attack the left side, or vice versa. Otherwise, you'll just cancel each other out before any damage is done.

And yes, the nerf didn't help this strategy at all... I have no idea how viable it still is.
Resident Evil junkie
Nickeloadagun
Nickeloadagun
Posted on 12 September 19 at 22:10
I used this strategy before the nerf and it worked much better for me, now not so much
bartlannoeye
bartlannoeye
Posted on 13 September 19 at 06:54, Edited on 13 September 19 at 06:55 by bartlannoeye
Lambent Lail said:
Many people have been asking me my strategy to reach Gold Arena. I'm happy to share, though please note that since version 1.2 released today, many of my main squad has been nerfed, so this may not be the best strategy anymore.

Anyway, here it is...

Gnasher Gang - Level 11
Cole - Level 12
Ink - Level 14
Reyna - Level 8
Dom - level 9
Carmine - Level 11
E-hole - Level 8
You mean your strategy was throwing a lot of money against it. :) No offense, but having such high level epic pins really gives you an advantage over most of the playfield, decent strategy or not.

Getting to silver with lvl 2-4 epic pins and lvl 8-11 common pins shows you have a good strategy and will probably make it to gold before season reset. Don't give up if you get your ass handed to you by someone with lvl 8 Reyna ;). Play to your own playstyle on which you have proven you're successful, don't try to play someone else his game. The tank and spank strategy is a good one, but there are plenty more.

PS: Grats on getting to gold Lambent Lail.
Lambent Lail
Lambent Lail
Posted on 13 September 19 at 10:19, Edited on 13 September 19 at 16:54 by Lambent Lail
bartlannoeye said:
Lambent Lail said:

Anyway, here it is...

Gnasher Gang - Level 11
Cole - Level 12
Ink - Level 14
Reyna - Level 8
Dom - level 9
Carmine - Level 11
E-hole - Level 8
You mean your strategy was throwing a lot of money against it. :) No offense, but having such high level epic pins really gives you an advantage over most of the playfield, decent strategy or not.

Getting to silver with lvl 2-4 epic pins and lvl 8-11 common pins shows you have a good strategy and will probably make it to gold before season reset. Don't give up if you get your ass handed to you by someone with lvl 8 Reyna ;). Play to your own playstyle on which you have proven you're successful, don't try to play someone else his game. The tank and spank strategy is a good one, but there are plenty more.

PS: Grats on getting to gold Lambent Lail.
Well, I did take a little offense, to be honest, but I understand the sentiment of your statement. I did have an advantage by being willing and able to put money into the game, which will make some people believe that was my strategy, but I worked my butt of to reach Gold and had very many frustrating battles where I lost by a sliver. Money in this game does not automatically equal a win at the highest levels.

For example, I was still getting beat by lower level opponents because they simply outplayed me. Not waiting for your power bar to fill, setting Carmine up the field too much and him dying before his skill is charged, not using Ink Grenades properly, etc.... all of these are the skills that even the whales will need to understand in order to reach Gold.

And you are 100% correct that tank and spank is a strategy, but not the strategy. Good call out to everyone about making this game their own!
Resident Evil junkie
KOSTAS
KOSTAS
Posted on 13 September 19 at 18:51
I reached gold at level 11. My team is inc grenade lv14, don lv6, omm lv2, lancer squad lv10, grinder lv7, Reyna lv7, snub gears lv12, shepherds lv13, emergence hole lv5. Capture the areas keep you bar full and the right time spawn lancer squad, Reyna, inc grenade to destroy the turret. Worked for me against much stronger opponents
jan0bi
jan0bi
Posted on 15 September 19 at 08:29
I'm not struggling, but im shocked when I see people with such high levels. Im struggling to get most of mine above level 9 and my super wont go beyond level 2.
Korewahondes
Korewahondes
Posted on 15 September 19 at 14:48
^ Same, and I stay between 1600-1900 depending who I face.

My best piece of advice so far for a strategy is throwing shock grenade right on a turret and quickly put emergence hole on its side. This alone, if the opponent doesn't react, can cause more than 500 damages to the turret. And ofc, if one of your unit can also shoot at the turret from the front, then it will be easily 700+ or 800+ damages 'cos the turret won't attack your guy at all while emergence hole keeps sending units.
Transcending history, and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.
Ace#4617
Ace
Posted on 15 September 19 at 15:54, Edited on 15 September 19 at 15:54 by Ace
So I did a top 10 pins post before the nerfs. Figured I'd update it and repost here now.

Offensive Units:

1. Lancer Gear - 1 cost capper with amazing health and dps per power.
2. Grinder - This guy is an amazing tower demolisher and with a tank in front of him is incredibly hard to take down.
3. Agustus Cole - Best tank and very good in combo with any tower demolisher to push up to a turret
4. Shepards - Best DPS per power of any unit and best health outside of tanks. Only drawback is the range.
5. Reyna Diaz - Amazing stats and very quick. Great strategy with her is to drop her directly on top of any pin you need dead, completely negates her melee range issue. Also good at tower taking.
6. Locust Drone - Got some incredibly strong buffs last patch, one of the few, and is very good now.
7. Snub Soldiers - Again, cheap capper with good health and dps, also if you place them in the middle of the map they will split 1 and 1 on each side.
8. Marcus Fenix - Really strong but a 5 cost which lowers his value a little. Sort of a weaker & more expensive Locust Drone now.
9. Kait Diaz - Target focused unit, put them behind a tank line in a mostly empty lane and good-bye turret.
10. Gnasher Gang - Sorta like a bunch of mini-coles. Can completely wipe a lane on their own, however their cost makes them hard to use effeciently.

Defensive units:

1. Nymacyst - 2 cost, huge line based aoe and very strong. Like throwing 3 grenades down a lane to wipe out everything. Aiming can be tricky however.
2. Ink Grenade - higher cost and recently nerfed in both range and damage makes it less desirable now but still good vs a large group of units.

That is basically it for defense, I don't recommend taking much in terms of defense since if a unit isn't capping a point or pushing a turret you aren't really progressing in the game.

Honorable Mentions:

Winter Kait - I've only recently gotten this pin but I've heard good things so I'm hoping she is strong. A 7 cost though is quite expensive.
Lancer Crew - Still strong but fell out of favour for me because of their high cost and the ease at which a nymacyst or ink grenade can kill them off.
Savage Grenadier - While not incredibly strong its a 3 cost capper that has good utility vs emergence hole and other large groups of enemies.

Note that there are a couple pins I've not used to judge their strengths but a combination of these pins has allowed me to win the majority of my games in bronze.

Also just going to add a little plug. TA.com 7 has some great members that discuss pin strategy all the time and we do lots of hordes as well so if you need a good crew please apply smile
qwxx
qwxx
Posted on 16 September 19 at 01:51
Can I get in 7? My birthday is the 7th!
mDoolin14
mDoolin14
Posted on 18 September 19 at 14:33, Edited on 18 September 19 at 19:27 by mDoolin14
I'm currently at ~1400 cogs, just hit lvl 7, and basically have two teams that I've been using to work my way up. I have all pins except the legendary ones and the epic DR-1 Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Team 1: Longshot Gear (lvl 6) Cole (lvl 4) Lancer Crea (lvl 4) Marcus (lvl 2) Kait (lvl 1) Grenadier (lvl 7) Frag Grenade (lvl 7) Ink grenade (lvl 7) and Seeder
----my main strategy is to get the lancer gear out as soon as possible and use snipers/grenades to control their initial units and get Kait up to do turret damage right out of the gate. Then the rest of the match can be defense and using grenades/Seeder to try and take out one turret that I've already done damage to

Team 2: (newer team haven't used much yet as it has some new pins that I just got)
Lancer Gear (lvl 6) Kait (lvl 1) Shepherds (lvl 7) Grenadier (lvl 7) Ink grenade (lvl 7) Grinder (lvl 1) Cole (lvl 4) Locust Drone (lvl 7) and Emergence Hole (lvl 2)
---similar strategy but relying more on the Grinder/Cole team to take down turrets and use the cheap lancer gear to take cover. Attempt to sneak Kait in behind them or with a emergence hole/ink grenade combo as well. Working well so far
Matt Doolin
absoluteHELL
absoluteHELL
Posted on 20 September 19 at 01:49
So I was able to get to Gold without spending any money. I would say though that I spent an hour or so everyday on the game since it launched.

I was able to reach Gold with the following team

Level 9
Carmine lvl 8
Reyna lvl 4
Lancer lvl 10
Sentinel lvl 6
Old Man Marcus lvl 1
Locust Drone lvl 9
Ink Grenade lvl 10
Shepards lvl 10

Not the emergency hole (forgot the name) lvl 2

I was stuck in the 2200s until I changed Cole for Reyna and the Savage Grenadier for the Sentinel.

The Sentinel is what allows you to beat teams that have higher units than you. It'll save your Carmine and allow him to run from one end to the other.
Lambent Lail
Lambent Lail
Posted on 20 September 19 at 11:49, Edited on 20 September 19 at 11:50 by Lambent Lail
absoluteHELL said:
So I was able to get to Gold without spending any money. I would say though that I spent an hour or so everyday on the game since it launched.
Thank you for posting and proving to everyone that it can be done! I saw someone in a different thread (can't remember which one) who also said something very important, which was that players need to get over the idea that you will win every match.

This game is about slowly building up your troops and your strategy, and with that will come many losses. But if you treat losses as learning experiences rather than fuel for rage-induced forum posts here on TA, you can do it!
Resident Evil junkie
Phil the Bear
Phil the Bear
Posted on 20 September 19 at 15:09
Lambent Lail said:
absoluteHELL said:
Thank you for posting and proving to everyone that it can be done! I saw someone in a different thread (can't remember which one) who also said something very important, which was that players need to get over the idea that you will win every match.

This game is about slowly building up your troops and your strategy, and with that will come many losses. But if you treat losses as learning experiences rather than fuel for rage-induced forum posts here on TA, you can do it!
I like rage induced forum posts!

But in all seriousness, I completely understand what you are saying. I just think you have to also accept that the game is rage inducing and mega frustrating as well.

For example. When I get beat 3 or more times consecutively by people who are 2-3 character levels above me with pins that are 3-5 levels above me it is not a learning experience. It is an exercise in futility.

The only way to counter that is grinding boxes and hoping you get the pins for the units you like to use.
https://philthebearblog.wordpress.com/
Momiji
Momiji
Posted on 20 September 19 at 15:34
Took me a week to get 2 pins to level up common units I use, constantly getting the same 3 or 4 drops for things which I never use and have been sitting ready to level up for maybe a month now. Who honestly uses boomer or trackers in their loadout
Too many games not enough time
Phil the Bear
Phil the Bear
Posted on 20 September 19 at 17:04
Momiji said:
Took me a week to get 2 pins to level up common units I use, constantly getting the same 3 or 4 drops for things which I never use and have been sitting ready to level up for maybe a month now. Who honestly uses boomer or trackers in their loadout
Yeah this is true. My load out is very similar to absoluteHELL. There are only 2 pins different. But his Carmine and Rayna are 2 levels above mine and his sentinel 1 level above mine.

I have 26 pins that I could level up. But I don’t see the point in wasting my coin on those just yet.

I guess the argument is build a strategy around what the game throws at you. Hence people using shock trackers.

At the minute I’m in the 1800’s with a max of 1950.

Maybe my strategy isn’t as good as it should be. But I would love a legendary crate to boost all my units a level or two.

I just have a massive love hate relationship with the game. And I use these posts to vent when I feel like I’m not going to ever get to gold!
https://philthebearblog.wordpress.com/
Momiji
Momiji
Posted on 20 September 19 at 20:22
I'm constantly between 2150 and 2350 now and its pissing me off nothing but whales that at best I can draw with and when I do get what should be a fair match their load out completely counters mine. I dont know how people have level 7 golds an multiple at that and cheaters seem to been rampant this close to gold, lag switching and spamming of high cost troops back to back.

I just want gold done if any of you see me just let me win please I suffered enough lol
Too many games not enough time
JamP0und32
JamP0und32
Posted on 20 September 19 at 20:25
Momiji said:
I'm constantly between 2150 and 2350 now and its pissing me off nothing but whales that at best I can draw with and when I do get what should be a fair match their load out completely counters mine. I dont know how people have level 7 golds an multiple at that and cheaters seem to been rampant this close to gold, lag switching and spamming of high cost troops back to back.

I just want gold done if any of you see me just let me win please I suffered enough lol
If I see you again I’ll lose, the match against you got me my gold.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.