Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Update some badge requirements

AuthorMessage
vSully
vSully
Posted on 19 September 19 at 02:46
Most people probably don't care about the badge system so this is probably a waste of time.

I think some of the gold badge requirements should be adjusted to better reflect excellence. Hell, the side tagline is "Just how good are you?"

I think there should be more prestige to the highest scorers in certain areas and the current system doesn't really reflect this.

TA Score: Currently 1 mil for gold. This is probably fair since so few will really ever get here (currently 683 people) but there should be something special for 2 mil, 3 mil, and 4 mil. Raising gold beyond 1m, at least for the forseeable future, will put it too far out of range for almost everyone.

TA Ratio: Currently 2.0 for gold. I'd like to see a more strict requirement for this.
Maybe:
2.5+ for Gold
2.25 - 2.49 Orange
2.0 - 2.24 Red
1.75-1.99 Green
etc

We've got several freaks with 3+ ratios. These guys deserve recognition but 3 for gold is asking too much.

TA Site Rank: Top 1% is currently gold. This is almost 4000 people. Maybe top .5% for gold?

Completion Percentage: Currently 90%+ is gold. I think there should be a milestone at 95% and another at 99%. It would be asking too much to have a 100% milestone since there are so many unobtainable and broken achievements and most people eventually run into at least one.
I'd suggest:
99%+ for Gold
95 - 98.99% Orange
90 - 94.99 Red
80 - 90 Green
etc.

Everything else is probably good, although walkthrough contributions is just nuts. You'd have to be an overseer to ever get to 75.

And Community challenges- it'd be nice to get a few cracks at these each year. Maybe I'll get to 10 by 2029.
Johnny Sinister
Posted on 19 September 19 at 07:09
I am not sure I would agree with the increase in requirement for ratio and completion. While there are certainly some skilled gamers who have gone above and beyond the current gold badge requirements (and I agree, should have more recognition), but the site should try to remain inclusive and try to maintain goals that are reasonably attainable for the majority (if they care to put in the work).

Also, I don't look at the badges so much individually, but as a group. I think that, as they stand, they are somewhat balanced. For example, a gamer can start a 100% completion profile and have a 1.4 ratio. On the other hand, a gamer can only strive for high ratio achievements and get a 3.5 ratio with 70% completion. As it stands now, I think the requirements push gamers to strive for quality gaming, as one badge requirement will often affect another. Seems like it is pretty balanced in that aspect currently ( in my opinion)
Johnny Sinister
Posted on 19 September 19 at 07:18, Edited on 19 September 19 at 07:19 by Johnny Sinister
Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a requirement update again at some point. I use badges and leaderboards for motivation at times.

However, I just noticed that by your proposed standards on percentage, I wouldn't even be able to crack a gold badge due to discontinued and glitched achievements alone. It would really only benefit gamers who vet and cherry pick games to ensure completion. I don't think that would be beneficial to the majority.
Sir Paulygon
Sir Paulygon
Posted on 19 September 19 at 13:51
Instead of adjusting current parameters, maybe add -- I don't know -- like a new color. Maybe platinum or prestige-like identifiers. Perhaps a diamond or crown would suffice. Just spit balling here.
CRUM LEE
CRUM LEE
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:00
Sir Paulygon said:
Instead of adjusting current parameters, maybe add -- I don't know -- like a new color. Maybe platinum or prestige-like identifiers. Perhaps a diamond or crown would suffice. Just spit balling here.
This seems like a fantastic idea!
vSully
vSully
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:04
Sir Paulygon said:
Yeah, this is a great idea.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:28
vSully said:
And Community challenges- it'd be nice to get a few cracks at these each year. Maybe I'll get to 10 by 2029.
I don't understand this... don't we already get a few opportunities each year? I completed all of them, and we had two in 2017, three in 2018, and three in 2019, for a total of 8. Gold badge is 10. I might get to 9 if we have another Twelve Days of Christmas this year.

If the next 2 Community Challenges aren't super difficult (they haven't been so far, so I don't see why they would start now), over 100 people will get their Gold Badge in 2020, and that number will just keep growing with each new Community Challenge opportunity.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:31
Sir Paulygon said:
I know o DEEVIUS o (not on TA anymore) had a similar "platinum badge" wishlist item before, but I can't find it anymore. Maybe it was deleted after he left TA?
Sir Paulygon
Sir Paulygon
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:33
Shinnizle said:
Sir Paulygon said:
I know o DEEVIUS o (not on TA anymore) had a similar "platinum badge" wishlist item before, but I can't find it anymore. Maybe it was deleted after he left TA?
Something to do with titles, right? From what I can remember, I liked the idea, but seemed complex at face value.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:43, Edited on 19 September 19 at 14:44 by Shinnizle
Yeah, but I think he had both ideas separate. I do distinctly remember the titles thread though. It had gained quite a bit of traction.

EDIT: I was able to find the Titles thread though:
TrueAchievement Titles
Sir Paulygon
Sir Paulygon
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:47
lol, I bet it gained so much traction because some people initially thought the thread was titled "TrueAchievement Titties" instead. shock
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 19 September 19 at 14:55
I mean, considering most of TA's target demographic... I'm not sure I'd wanna see that laugh
Chris1984uk
Chris1984uk
Posted on 19 September 19 at 15:20
Problem is (for the ratio one at least) you could pick a higher TA ratio'd game and complete it and stop. Giving you the top badge for just one game e.g. KI/Elite/ESO
Sir Paulygon
Sir Paulygon
Posted on 19 September 19 at 15:22
Chris1984uk said:
Problem is (for the ratio one at least) you could pick a higher TA ratio'd game and complete it and stop. Giving you the top badge for just one game e.g. KI/Elite/ESO
I've always felt like a guideline should be put in place when it came to things like that. Maybe make sure they have at least 100,000 GS or something to prevent padding stats.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 19 September 19 at 15:34, Edited on 19 September 19 at 15:35 by Shinnizle
Chris1984uk said:
If we're still talking about badges, and that they are not based on a percentage of top players, but rather a set number (like 2.5+ ratio for Gold/Platinum/whatever as vSully suggested), I don't see the problem.
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 19 September 19 at 16:57
Strategy One had the thread for platinum badges: Platinum badges

I'd certainly love to see new requirements to shoot for. Essentially worthless badges can still be sufficient motivation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUia5quPnBk
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 19 September 19 at 17:08
Ah! There it is! I thought it was Deevius who had posted this one too, but apparently I was wrong laugh
Spirochaete
Spirochaete
Posted on 20 September 19 at 08:30
dislike (out of votes)

the goalpost was moved once already
(I had the gold TA badge at 500k, lost it, had to re-earn at 1 million)

plus anything platinum colored is too Playstation-y
StK I
StK I
Posted on 20 September 19 at 13:56
Sir Paulygon said:
Something more like this appeals to me much more than bumping the existing parameters up
Johnny Sinister
Posted on 20 September 19 at 15:22
Definitely some interesting ideas here.

Playing devil's advocate though, there are still some issues I can see with some of these ideas.

First, the idea of platinum badges (or increased gold requirements) is to recognize gamers who have far exceeded the existing goals. However, in either case, most of these badges will likely be rewarded to new '100% completion' accounts or 'handful of super high ratio' accounts. In these instances, these coveted badges will be awarded to players for simply playing the system in their favor. Obviously a seasoned eye can look an account tell the difference, but if that is the case, why even bother adding badges or changing the requirements?

I am still a firm believer that any of the top 5 badges (TA score, site position, completion percentage, TA ratio, completed games) are not a great indicator by themselves (again, some of these can easily be manipulated with a new account and a specific goal).

When I look at a player's top 5, I look at it as a whole. For instance, a player can have 500 completed games, but if they are mostly ACA Neo Geo and Ratalaika games, you can expect a super high completion %, but unusually low TA Ratio). On the other hand, people who play tougher games may have higher TA ratio, but find it harder to keep their completion percentage in the gold and may not have as high overall score or completions.

Anyways, not to try and hijack the original wish list, but I would like to see maybe a new feature that recognizes people for getting all gold in the top 5 badges.

Just throwing some ideas out, but maybe a special leaderboard (called the 'gold club' or something) that recognizes these gamers. Or maybe the gamer account shows up on the site in gold or something. Maybe a special icon next to their tag? Just spit balling here.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.