Community News

News for and about the community. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Gears 3 Had More TA Players than Gears 5 in its Launch Week

• WicelowWicelow1,122,041
    Posted on 28 September 19 at 17:33Permalink
    Not surprised. I loved 1/2/3 but totally lost interrest with the lame gow judgment.
    Never touched 4 and will likely do the same with 5.
    Eat. Play. Love.
  • MatthewMk2MatthewMk2358,709
    Posted on 28 September 19 at 17:56Permalink
    I played Gears 5 launch week, got the 2 months for $2 Game Pass promotion. I finished the campaign this week and didn't get the Achievement for completing it. Just a little bit annoyed, I don't want to replay the whole thing, it wasn't very good.
  • PhilmnatorPhilmnator253,008
    Posted on 28 September 19 at 18:52Permalink
    No - Will wait for a sale
    It snuck up on me entirely. Release day came and went, and I decided to just wait until it was cheaper/I had more time.
  • HalcyonWaveHalcyonWave335,455
    Posted on 28 September 19 at 20:42Permalink
    i basically played a little while for the Game Pass Quests. I will come back someday (most likely)

Gears of War 4 is the only campaign in the franchise I ever beat (and it wasn't that bad). I liked it more than the first one - where I have been stuck for years at the place where you dodge at the door (never beaten RAAM either). It was better the Halo 5 (adding that aim down the barrel garbage). I have all of the Gears games, but have little play time on them (not sure I've ever started 3). I liked 2 more than the first one (from what little I've played). Also, I have a strong dislike for multiplayer

Gears of War 4 had the odd Tower Defense segments. For those who played 5, this game seems far more open world (overworld, which I dislike), does it get any worse. So far I have finished Kait's first mission at the weird lab.

So to answer the question... likely larger install base, slightly changing consumer tastes, more similar competing games, franchise fatigue, more established developer, etc. Considering everything, Gears 5 hasn't really done that bad.
  • Posted on 28 September 19 at 23:38Permalink
    I couldn't even start the game. It would boot then crash everytime
  • Posted on 28 September 19 at 23:54Permalink
    Played it since it came out on Game Pass. Getting what achievements I can. Not even gonna try complete it, and I do like it.. but I'll probably uninstall after I get to General on Tour of Duty and win a Ranked Match every week of the season. Gears 4 and 5 take up too much space on my 1 TB system lol

Maybe I'll reinstall in a few months when new achievements get added
  • Posted on 29 September 19 at 00:47Permalink
    I played 5 for a Game Pass quest yesterday, but will come back when I finish the story for GOW 4.
  • mcnichojmcnichoj204,918
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 03:17Permalink
    TA doesn't acknowledge the contest they did that was tied to Gears 3?
    Probably a huge contributor to players tracked on this site.
    Which btw was a huge clusterfuck. I was at least on one of the top three teams and got a few bucks.

One reason for the lack of 5 players are the people pissed off at the constant Horde and campaign achievements for 4. Maybe they want to wait till a year or two after so they can knock them all out with the least amount of time/playthroughs.
  • R06U3R06U3284,846
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 03:44Permalink
    Seriously 3.0 took away a lot of my enthusiasm for the franchise, but I think I would have gotten past that eventually, if it wasn't for a few things that happened afterwards.

The first thing that really bothered me was how Black Tusk dropped all pretense of changing events for Sybarite. For me personally, the icing on the cake was that I had already purchased the Season Pass. My sole consolation was that I hadn't popped any achievements at that point, so it didn't negatively impact my completion percentage. Until that point, it was inconceivable for me to believe that Microsoft would allow a first party AAA title of one of its core franchises to just drop support like that after numerous promises that it would be addressed after the Gears 4 launch.

However, what bothered me even more was seeing how The Coalition seemed to take perverse delight in trolling their fanbase by dropping DLC after DLC for Gears 4 that added achievements that seemed to require investing significant amounts of time without adding any new content or even having the decency to make those achievements retroactive. I really felt badly for all the people I knew who seemed to be stuck in a seemingly endless loop of finishing the game until the next DLC was dropped. I also imagined how upset I would have felt if I had been caught up in the same cycle.

Prior to these events, I would have said I was a pretty solid fan of the franchise. Sadly, I now feel like after I eventually finish Gears 2 that I am extremely unlikely to want to invest any more time on future titles.
  • ZerstucaZerstuca230,962
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 04:40, Edited on 29 September 19 at 04:40 by ZerstucaPermalink
    I wasn't going to get 4 unless TC come through on a patch for Sybarite after 4 launched, we all know how that went.
    Now its just a case of I am not going to play 5 without having played 4.

The response from friends I grew up playing the franchise with, the games just haven't been as good as when we were in highschool, or we've grown out of the series. So I don't feel like I am even missing anything.
    [URL=https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/Zerstuca][IMG]https://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/Zerstuca.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • fireizfireiz525,034
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 06:14Permalink
    does that mean Gears 4 had a higher players count than Gears 3?
    Have no fear, Amjad is here
  • ArkhamArkham1,652,711
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 06:18Permalink
    I'll return to the Gears franchise when they learn how to make a fun achievement list.
  • ElyohElyoh815,453
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 06:38Permalink
    fireiz said:
    There's a pretty graph you can look at, it has many answers.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • Posted on 29 September 19 at 06:45, Edited on 29 September 19 at 06:46 by TerzerosPermalink
    Personally Gears 5 has the best campaign of all, is full of references to past games of the saga and also gave a background to the enemies. But if something made me doubt whether to play the game or not were the achievements
  • I am Gozer24I am Gozer24307,239
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 08:23Permalink
    TheGearGuardian said:
    Gears 3 is where Epic left it and where it needed to end. With the Coilition a pendulum war prequel or a "GEARS" overwatch style thing would of been enough for me. Gears 4 campaign felt clunky, unoriginal and a desperate cash grab to bring to life a series which had an amazing climax.

I have not played 5 yet due to sheer lack of interest. Escape looks like a one hit wonder worth while of a single campaign mission, not a whole mode. Horde looks the same as 4 but with character bonus's (not really positive or negative really) and the campaign seems a little to female empowerment for me with what appears to be a Kait focus (again not played so I could be completely wrong).
    This comment is completely nonsensical. So you don't play games with female leads because in your opinion they're promoting female empowerment? What a really bad reason for not liking a game. Maybe you should stick to reddit and your Gamergate buddies. What's wrong with having awesome female characters who kick butt?
  • fireizfireiz525,034
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 08:28Permalink
    Elyoh said:
    fireiz said:
    exactly my point of view, why this story wasn't mentioned upon gears 4 weak release? what gives
    Have no fear, Amjad is here
  • Posted on 29 September 19 at 08:31Permalink
    For me Halo and Gears are the two most overrated game franchises in history.
    I'm pleased Microsoft has made many developer acquisitions recently to try and push some top class singles player story driven content.
    Forza aside Xbox is miles behind Playstation in terms of first party titles.
  • ElyohElyoh815,453
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 09:04Permalink
    fireiz said:
    Elyoh said:
    fireiz said:
    exactly my point of view, why this story wasn't mentioned upon gears 4 weak release? what gives
    This sort of article is a new addition to the site. They did one for Borderlands as well, and I imagine they'll do them into the future.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • nirvana8193nirvana8193375,494
    Posted on 29 September 19 at 10:16Permalink
    -Other-

Not yet, as still need to play Judgement and four. Besides, be nice to start at beginning and work my way through again.
    Sally I hear something, stop, STOP!
  • Posted on 29 September 19 at 14:51Permalink
    played the minimum amount to complete the game pass quests
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.