TA Playlist

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Dead Space - Spoilers

• Posted on 02 October 19 at 12:59, Edited on 02 October 19 at 13:00 by N0T PENNYS B0ATPermalink
    Beware of spoilers in here!
  • Pmalone6Pmalone6158,967
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:10Permalink
    Hands down my favorite horror game and my first true horror game at that. The tension you feel hearing the Necromorphs crawling around in the vents or the shadows cast down a flickering corridor still stay with me years later.

Only recently I got around to watching one of the animated movies and was pleasantly surprised! The whole of Downfall is available on YouTube if you want a little more back story leading back into a playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQDO00IvsW0
  • Ginn0rzGinn0rz219,104
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:22Permalink
    Agreed. The animated movies are really good. I found myself quite confused by the plot in certain places so the backstory really helped. There are some really great ideas in the story.

I found there to be lots of similarities between Dead Space and the film Event Horizon, which I highly recommend.
  • Pmalone6Pmalone6158,967
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:30Permalink
    Ginn0rz said:
    I found there to be lots of similarities between Dead Space and the film Event Horizon, which I highly recommend.
    I felt the exact same way, such a wild and twisted movie that works really well with the dreaded isolation of space. Cannot recommend that watch enough to those that enjoyed this game.
  • Cylon 118Cylon 118341,004
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:35Permalink
    Ima gonna post this here as its def a spoiler but a well known one to fans of the series but take the first letter of each chapter in the game and get a message that reveals the games twist early!
  • xSup3rM4ri0xxSup3rM4ri0x620,283
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 14:31Permalink
    Cylon 118 said:
    Ima gonna post this here as its def a spoiler but a well known one to fans of the series but take the first letter of each chapter in the game and get a message that reveals the games twist early!
    That's actually pretty awesome, I didn't know that laugh

Dead Space is one of my favorite horror games, along with the first Condemned. I had to pause the game a couple of times because I was too scared to continue laugh Very few games can give you this kind of immersion.
  • ZWZW1,005,075
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 14:45Permalink
    Also believe this was the first game that used our suit as the HUD.
    ??ZW???????????????????????????????????
  • iMaginaryyiMaginaryy1,350,443
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 15:32Permalink
    I've heard this said a lot and I'd have to go back and play and decide, but up front I think I personally agree Dead Space 2 might have been the better overall game, but Dead Space is almost certainly the more pure survival / horror experience.

And as others have said, one of early / popular ones like Doom 3 as well to create that creepy space ship vibe well.
    Fear is the mindkiller.
  • YaziteYazite344,807
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 17:19Permalink
    I also agree that DS2 is overall better. DS1 is quite glitchy and clunky. DS2 refined the formula for sure.
    Wake me, when you need me.
  • Dresden N7Dresden N7386,374
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 18:19Permalink
    Ginn0rz said:
    That's good to hear because I love Event Horizon. It's a guilty pleasure of mine because I don't know if I would call it a "good" film, but it's definitely one of my favorite horror/sci-fi films. I'm still holding out hope for someone to find the original, uncut version that test audiences and executives thought was too scary and gory.
    If you feel the need to "correct" my post, please re-read it first.
  • Kaz AdamaKaz Adama718,605
  • Posted on 02 October 19 at 19:44Permalink
    If you loved Dead Space I highly recommend checking a thrift store or something similar where you can find old Xbox original games and looking for RLH (Run Like Hell). In my opinion, that was the very first Dead Space. RLH has a lot of similar lore and mechanics, though some of it may feel dated today as the game came out in 2003.

Hell, just read the plot summary and tell me you don't see some similarities.
    Mining surveyor and former war hero Nicholas Conner (voiced by Lance Henriksen), returns to his space station known as the Forsetti Station to find it overrun by a hostile, previously unknown alien species known simply as The Race. Most of the crew members are dead, Nick's fiancee Samantha is missing, and he soon discovers that the entire station is slowly degenerating into an alien hive. Using his war experience and a large arsenal of weapons, Nick must fight through a group of hostile enemies to locate survivors on the station who can help him find Samantha.
    RLH is a hidden gem and I think that's why I loved Dead Space 1 so much. It felt almost like an homage to RLH.
    See You Space Cowboy...
  • Posted on 02 October 19 at 19:45Permalink
    go to

Dead Space

and look at the popular screenshots section
  • Vulgar LatinVulgar Latin698,174
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 20:10Permalink
    Such a great game. I'd say that 2 was my favorite of the trilogy though. By the time they got to three I could pretty correctly tell when enemies were going to attack based on the number of vents in a room.
  • Posted on 02 October 19 at 20:37Permalink
    I think one of the things I loved most about this game was the way the episodes were structured - bite-sized chunks of terror I was occasionally grateful for the chance to put down and slowly back away from laugh. It also has some of the best pacing I've encountered in any story-driven game - I typically lean more towards open world experiences, but this is a great advert for how narrative can really benefit from a more linear delivery.

Surprised it hadn't been made into a film, to be honest. Strikes me that it would need very little additional writing.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle761,473
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 21:07Permalink
    xSup3rM4ri0x said:
    Cylon 118 said:
    That's actually pretty awesome, I didn't know that laugh
    Same here, that was unknown to me!
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • BwF SmokeBudnSFBwF SmokeBudnSF1,916,982
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 21:45Permalink
    Pretty good game, really need to start working on the rest of the series. Been over a decade since I played the first.
  • XaledinXaledin351,853
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 22:56Permalink
    Yazite said:
    I also agree that DS2 is overall better. DS1 is quite glitchy and clunky. DS2 refined the formula for sure.
    I agree as well. DS1 did a great job setting the atmosphere, while DS2 fixed it's flaws. Both were great, and I prefer both over DS3.
    Life imitates art.
  • BrasshandeBrasshande722,968
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 23:02Permalink
    Xaledin said:
    Yazite said:
    I agree as well. DS1 did a great job setting the atmosphere, while DS2 fixed it's flaws. Both were great, and I prefer both over DS3.
    Me too, all three are good games, but i think the series hit a peak with DS2
    D'yuz gan at death speed?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.